PDA

View Full Version : One Subject at time?

Michele N
08-03-2013, 08:23 PM
This is my first official year HS. I had all of these big plans... I wrote out four weeks of lessons... We did almost nothing. Well, except for read the entire first Volume of Story of the World.

I know I can do whatever I'd like... But as I am new here I am fraught with insecurity, I have to ask, it "ok" to do one subject a time like that?

Subquestion:
We just read and read and read it like it was a story. Should I... I don't know? Ask some questions? See how much my son "got" from it or let it go?

Stella M
08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Yep. Call it block programming. It sounds official and you'll feel better. In effect you just programmed a block of history. Some subjects don't lend themselves so well to block programming. Anything that is skills based - LA, math - probably is better as a regular, consistent subject. As far as SOTW goes, maybe when you read the next volume, you could ask your son to narrate after every two or three chapters. Narrations can be written, spoken, drawn, modelled, performed...even made out of Lego! Narration is just telling back what you remember about a chapter.

sdvelochick
08-03-2013, 10:38 PM
You can definitely do like Stella suggested and just base your entire day around STOW if your child really likes it. You can do math (the sugar cube pyramid is a great counting/visual math activity), copy work from the chapter, and as she suggested narrations. If your child is in kindergarten/1st there is so little they actually do in "real" school that honestly at home you could complete it in a month putting in a few hours a day... so no rush to get into anything other than teaching your kid to LOVE learning :-)

farrarwilliams
08-04-2013, 12:00 AM
You can... And I think it can work well for history, science, geography, unit studies... I wouldn't for reading, spelling, and especially for math. And if you're going to start somewhere and get a subject going, I would say start with language arts or math. Of course, there's nothing wrong with taking time off, finding your footing, spending time deschooling, etc. But going forward, I don't think I would personally plan it that way.

You might like a program like Moving Beyond the Page, where nearly everything - science, social studies, language arts, etc. - is folded into one big unit study. That plus math would be plenty.

Michele N
08-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Block Programing. Yes. I'm totally doing that. :)

Thanks! I have a FAT folder of supplemental activities for SOTW- we just never stopped reading to it. I didn't intend to REALLY start the school year until September so maybe I'll just consider that something fun we did for summer?

HopefulPessimist
08-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I didn't intend to REALLY start the school year until September so maybe I'll just consider that something fun we did for summer?

No way! Count it, so that if you guys get sick or just need a few weeks off to take a break or whatever, you won't feel like you haven't had enough school days for the school year. lol

archaeomom
08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
It's my first year, too! Over the summer we listened to the audio of the entire first volume of SOTW during our road trip, but I'm not sure the girls got it all. I am reviewing Ancients with them (and yes, there's stuff that seems "new" to them despite the audio book in the car), with auxiliary materials, and plan to wind up Ancient History by Thanksgiving and do an overview of Medieval History for the rest of the "school year".

I, too, had BIG plans which are now needing serious revising. For one thing our budget simply won't cover buying ALL of the materials I want for all of the subjects, so we are trimming some and delaying the start of Latin, Logic, and piano lessons. Besides, we need a chance to get into the swing of things on the state-required topics ("good citizenship" is one) and other important subjects (like science).

As a result I have decided that the rest of August is my time to get up to speed, and September (after Labor Day) will be our official start (handily after my birthday, too!). The state-required topics are the top priority. I must have "a written curriculum" for each of 5 subjects: reading, spelling, grammar, math, and good citizenship. I've purchased 3, have determined what to do for good citizenship (just need to write out the plan), and just have to figure out what my "written curriculum" for reading will include. Once I get these done we can officially start, and other topics (like writing, science, and growing bodies health topics -- so important with girls ages 9 & 12) can be eased into a topic at a time as we get accustomed to our new learning environment and its opportunities.

archaeomom
08-17-2013, 11:08 PM
No way! Count it, so that if you guys get sick or just need a few weeks off to take a break or whatever, you won't feel like you haven't had enough school days for the school year. lol

I agree, count it! I plan on counting the math, history, typing, science, and health/PE stuff we have done over the summer. Also, I had a bit of an epiphany when it came to my "plan" for our school year. I plan on 4-day school weeks, with Fridays being put to other purposes. The first Friday of each month is field trip day. The 2nd is home blessing day (catch up on housework and do home skills types of stuff). The 3rd is shopping and errands day (much to the delight of my eldest, who specifically asked if we could work in trips to the mall in home schooling). The 4th Friday of each month is home school catch-up/project day, in which we have extra time for whatever school-ish purposes we deem needed. And when we have a 5th Friday in a month (like this month) it is a bonus day, and we three will decide together what we are going to do with it.

My epiphany was that contrary to my original calculations we will NOT only have 7 weeks throughout the entire year for family trips, vacation, and holidays. We will actually have more break time, because at least half of the Fridays will still have lessons going on, just not scheduled "class work". Also, our trip each year is like one giant field trip, especially the way I ran it this year! The kids are finally big enough to keep up with me visiting archaeology sites, parks, and such!

If it ties in with their required subjects and life skills in general I say count it as part of your schooling. It's all good.