PDA

View Full Version : Npr

sdvelochick
08-02-2013, 01:31 PM
So unlike the TV network that was looking for a hs family, this might be a better representation.
Have you homeschooled your children? Or were you homeschooled yourself? Wed like to hear why and your view on the pros and cons of homeschooling for an upcoming story. You can post a comment below, or email us at [email protected]

dbmamaz
08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
yeah, i posted my story on the fb page but i was shocked how many negative posts there were

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Yes, many people have an immediate negative reaction to homeschooling, without knowing much about it. The comments on articles about homeschooling are very rude and ignorant. I've heard people say that it should be illegal, we're condemning our children to ignorance, and even that parents who homeschool should lose custody of their kids. It seems no matter how many articles appear putting homeschooling in a positive light, many people cannot be swayed in their opinions.

As much as I would like people to see successful (and secular) homeschool families, I would not expose my family for this reason. Anonymous online culture is just too vicious.

sdvelochick
08-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, there are some really crazy comments, especially the ones where people are attacking each other, YIKES! Really hope I get to listen to the story, it should be interesting.

yeah, i posted my story on the fb page but i was shocked how many negative posts there were

rueyn
08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Aaaaaaand this is why I no longer have Facebook. Sad :(

farrarwilliams
08-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I vaguely knew someone who used to be a producer at Tell Me More. She was planning to homeschool her preschooler. She was a cool woman, but now she works, I think, for Voice of Russia, not NPR.

Where was the link? I only saw the email address?

ETA: Oh, on the NPR FB page. Ugh. Nasty debate. Yuck.

dbmamaz
08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
does this work? it might just go to my comment lol https://www.facebook.com/NPR/posts/10151858349191756?comment_id=30561759&notif_t=like

Leanne71
08-02-2013, 09:36 PM
All I can say after reading most of the drivel coming from the teachers is OMG. I thought doctors only suffered the " god complex ". :p

sdvelochick
08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
All I can say after reading most of the drivel coming from the teachers is OMG. I thought doctors only suffered the " god complex ". :p

This made me laugh :). Isn't it amazing that the education of someone else's child is such a hot button topic!

Mum
08-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I try to avoid places where my sharp tongue can hurt other people's feelings and my own conscience. I would definitely be whipping out some verbal whoop ass on that board.

I'm going to practice some resistance and let someone who can keep a cooler head when defending choices made for their children after the uppity teachers their child had at school left him with permanent scars.

Head to sand. Buried.