PDA

View Full Version : High-Protein Snacks For All-Day Travel

Crabby Lioness
08-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I have two teens and a preschooler, all of whom are having growth spurts and scarfing down huge amounts of protein. This isn't a problem at home where we have peanut butter, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, lunch meat, etc. But when we travel we're usually gone for hours in 90F heat with just a cooler in the trunk. I'm leery of hauling stuff that has to be refrigerated around that long. Is there some high-protein room-temperature finger food (i.e. not peanut butter and a bunch of spoons) I can make and take with us, or should I just keep a container of nuts in the car?

Batgirl
08-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Do you have a dehydrator? Can you make/get a huge batch of beef jerky?

If you do wind up going with nuts, there are lots of primal granola bar recipes online if you want to infuse some variety into your snacking.

dbmamaz
08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
you could look in to protein bars, or baked goods with protein powder or soy flour as part of the mix.

hockeymom
08-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I keep almonds or cashews and Luna bars in the car (and my purse, and the swim bag, and the hockey bag, and...) for emergencies. It's tough when you are on the go during a growth spurt; the need for food can be so immediate.

Sometimes even mild dehydration can feel like hunger, too. Maybe try to make sure they are all drinking copious amounts of water throughout the days too.

Leanne71
08-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Beef jerky, small tins of tuna, nuts if you can have them, homemade protein bars? I usually have the beef jerky tucked into everything like Hockeymom, has her nuts.

loydalicea
10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Jerky is best high-protein snacks for all-day travel.

LadyXDM
10-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Yep. I was gonna say beef jerky, too. We make our own with whatever low-fat content meat is on clearance at the store. We use this company's jerky cure WELCOME TO HI MOUNTAIN SEASONINGS (http://www.himtnjerky.com) and we buy it from Bass Pro Shops (outdoor sportsman store) but they also have that website for direct orders. We go through about 2# a week with the kids LOVING their meat and hubby and I doing Atkins.

Leanne71
10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
How is the Atkins going? Is it hard? I looked at it a couple of years ago however I couldn't get motivated enough to even start!

LadyXDM
10-08-2013, 05:26 PM
First I have to brag on myself a little bit because I'm proud. I lost 35 pounds since mid-June doing an extended induction (first phase) and occasionally 'ruining' a good weight loss week by drinking beer with my friends (we all have our limits!).

I'll tell you what I told all of my friends who were amazed at how quickly I lost a lot of weight: Get Dr. Atkins book and read it. Do that. Don't do any bastardized version of it. He is very detailed in his book (I think I got a re-write of his original that came out in early 90's??). Not so detailed you feel talked down to but detailed enough so you understand WHY he says do this do that. So you can be motivated to do this or that because you know the whys (at least that's helpful for me!). Oh, and this lady's website has some really yummy recipes but she reviews them and tells you if they are gross too: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/)

But to answer your question, I LOVE Atkins. I'm a chocoholic but once you break the carb cycle, you don't crave the junk anymore. Outside of carbs, I love all green veggies and meat meat meat. It's a pretty easy lifestyle for me. In fact, our family went to Magic Mountain (a theme park) and hubby and I STILL stayed on Atkins. I say, if you can follow your 'diet' at a theme park, it's definitely a lifestyle change you can make forever.

I'm about 7# from my goal and then I will slowly transition through the other phases and find my lifelong daily carb tolerance for weight maintenance (directions in the book). Easy.

meanoldmommy
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I was in Whole Foods by the bulk bins and found my go to snack that travels with us everywhere in a Tupperware in my purse. They have these cubes that incorporate things like nuts, seeds, fruits, coconut, etc all compressed into little cubes. Kinda like gorp or trail mix but much tastier and pop-able. One or two pieces and I can stave off hunger-induced hysteria in myself and the kids. Hallelujah. FYI-they look pretty gross. When I first saw them, I thought of this thread because this exact same question had been eating at me too! ;)

BarbaraH
10-12-2013, 10:51 PM
We find that the Igloo playmates style coolers Playmate (http://www.igloocoolers.com/Playmate) with the blue plastic freezer things keeps stuff very cold for hours in a 90+ hot car. We've just gotten in the habit now of every time tossing in the ice things, water bottles, cheese sticks, etc. every time before we head out in the summer. Stuff still feels quite cold after several hours in Kentucky summer heat.

popsicle1010
10-13-2013, 03:20 AM
First I have to brag on myself a little bit because I'm proud. I lost 35 pounds since mid-June doing an extended induction (first phase) and occasionally 'ruining' a good weight loss week by drinking beer with my friends (we all have our limits!).

I'll tell you what I told all of my friends who were amazed at how quickly I lost a lot of weight: Get Dr. Atkins book and read it. Do that. Don't do any bastardized version of it. He is very detailed in his book (I think I got a re-write of his original that came out in early 90's??). Not so detailed you feel talked down to but detailed enough so you understand WHY he says do this do that. So you can be motivated to do this or that because you know the whys (at least that's helpful for me!). Oh, and this lady's website has some really yummy recipes but she reviews them and tells you if they are gross too: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/)

But to answer your question, I LOVE Atkins. I'm a chocoholic but once you break the carb cycle, you don't crave the junk anymore. Outside of carbs, I love all green veggies and meat meat meat. It's a pretty easy lifestyle for me. In fact, our family went to Magic Mountain (a theme park) and hubby and I STILL stayed on Atkins. I say, if you can follow your 'diet' at a theme park, it's definitely a lifestyle change you can make forever.

I'm about 7# from my goal and then I will slowly transition through the other phases and find my lifelong daily carb tolerance for weight maintenance (directions in the book). Easy.

Congratulations!!!

Fairielover
10-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Those snack cakes sound so yummy. Too bad there isn't a Whole Foods near me.

meanoldmommy
10-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Well if you want to give it a go I know you can make similar. Just look up paleo energy balls and follow the rabbit trail. I like the convenience factor of stocking up at WF but would make these myself in a pinch. Packaged energy bars taste funny to me and are really expensive.

paul.will8
12-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Me i eat some almonds, cashews, peanuts etc as a snack along with a banana.

Otherwise tuna and brown bread.

ikslo
12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I used to love to snack on nuts. Then I had a child with food allergies. :(

I miss nuts...and legumes...and eggs...and bananas...and strawberries...and tomatoes...and garlic in everything...

...wish I hadn't read this thread because now I am depressed. And hungry.

BerthaCardone
08-20-2014, 03:08 AM
Protein is an essential element of every healthy and balanced diet. For keeping your body fit or maintaining the energy level you have to make your diet plan, in which sugar and salt is must. Unlike many micro-nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, protein is the focused micro-nutrient that your body required for building and repairing cells and muscles. Similarly for giving your body a suitable level of sodium, you have to maintain salt and sugar level.