PDA

View Full Version : NLD midlle school help

bosmom
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
We are moving to California next month from Canada. Our ES has NLD and has had an IEP since grade 3. However his language arts hasn't progressed passed grade 4 and he is now entering grade 7! Given that we're going to miss the beginning of the school year anyway and I have no idea about the public system in California I'm seriously considering homeschooling. His other courses are at grade level with math lagging a little. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a curriculum that might work for language arts with NLD? I have never posted on any forum before so please forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong.

Accidental Homeschooler
08-01-2013, 05:36 PM
That is interesting that Language Arts is where he is lagging and not math. Is it a comprehension issue or writing? My dd has NLD also, but she is much younger. Maybe if you talk more specifically about what he is struggling with in language arts someone can recommend a curriculum.

Cynthia Williford
08-01-2013, 06:30 PM
My ds has NLD and tends to struggle with writing in particular. You didn't mention what part of language arts presented the difficulty for your ds. I can share that my ds does best with a curriculum that is visual and creative. This year, I plan to use the Cover Story curriculum for writing. (https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/cover-story/?c=1) My ds has no problem with understanding grammar, but he did have trouble applying his knowledge until recently. We used the Critical Thinking Company's Editor in Chief program for proofreading/grammar last year and intend to use the next level this year. Ds also sometimes has difficulties with subtleties of language and making connections. He tends to be quite literal. So, we do analogies. Last year we used the text Analogies by Arthur Leibman, but since ds tends to do better with computer work, we're planning to use ThinkAnalogy also by the Critical Thinking Co. My ds is 12 and entering 9th grade; however, I could share strategies we used years ago if you tell me what you're looking for.

CTmamaJody
08-03-2013, 11:30 AM
My DD has NLD and AS, I am planning to use the Brave Writer curriculum this year. We will be using the partner writing module along with the Writer's Jungle to improver her independence and fluency. I am looking into grammar and editing workbooks for her to use separately, and will look into all of the suggestions made above. :)