PDA

View Full Version : greetings from a roadschool dad

rxte1
07-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not exactly new to the group, but haven't posted yet. My wife and I have been homeschooling our 8-year-old daughter all along, and we are based out of Austin, Texas.

We spend a lot of time away from home, camping and climbing and backpacking, pretty much all the things I wish I had done as a kid. We try to integrate travel with education. But as you might expect, the best learning opportunities are things we stumble upon randomly, rather than the things we plan. Maybe there is something to the "Theory of Loose Parts" after all. Or perhaps, when you increase the number of variables in your life, you make more mistakes, and then have the chance to learn from them.

Anyway, we won't be back on the road for a few weeks, so I've got a chance now to read up on some old threads that I missed -- I just came across the Flat Secular Homeschooler thread and blog today, great pictures!

Rick

camaro
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
It's nice to meet you, Rick, and great to see another Dad on here! Since you've been here a little while already, you probably already know how great a place this is. I wish I had the opportunity to take our kids on the road but I take comfort in the fact that letting them grow up and learn on the farm is probably quite similar to roadschooling in some ways.

hockeymom
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome! I love to see all the different ways we choose to raise and educate our kids. I'd love to hear more about your roadschooling adventures and how you incorporate "school learnin'" into your lives (if you do). Thanks for introducing yourself! :)

Shoe
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome Rick. It's always nice to see another homeschooling dad-we're still a minority, it seems. It sounds like you've got a great way of doing things-I look forward to hearing about them. Cheers.

Topsy
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Great to meet you, Rick! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and let us know about your unique way of homeschooling! I am definitely always fascinated with the road-schooling lifestyle and family dynamic. I would love for you to blog about it sometime on the site....

StartingOver
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Welcome Rick, I hope to be back on the road in a couple of years. Mine are a bit young now, and the youngest has awful car sickness.

inmom
07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome Rick. I'd love to be a "Road Scholar" family sometime. Sounds like a great experience.

astheriot
07-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi Rick,
We are in Texas as well,just north of Houston. Now that two oldest are off to college,we are looking to roadschool a lot more as well. It's nice to have someone with whom to share ideas.
Arlene

Sarbare0704
07-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the group! I am so jealous of all of you that can road school! I would love to do that but dont really see that as an option for us at any point in the future as the hubby works over 60 hrs a week!