PDA

View Full Version : New to HS

annd4049
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Just made the decision to HS for 1st grade this fall. I'm worried, nervous but really excited! We're doing the Calvert Curriculum because it seems to have more structure and support. I'd like to hear any of your comments on the curriculum.
Thanks!
-Ann
DFW, TX

StartingOver
07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Just made the decision to HS for 1st grade this fall. I'm worried, nervous but really excited! We're doing the Calvert Curriculum because it seems to have more structure and support. I'd like to hear any of your comments on the curriculum.
Thanks!
-Ann
DFW, TX

I used Calvert many years ago, when I was first homeschooling. I did not use 1st though, we had 2nd and 3rd. I decided after a year to go off on my own. Calvert was a wonderful year that allowed me time to do more research and learn about my children's learning styles. I enjoyed it for the most part, it was to "school at home" for the long run.

Topsy
07-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi Ann! Welcome to the site and to homeschooling in general! I know that can be a daunting decision, but I bet you will be so happy with your choice...there is nothing better than getting to spend these wonderful kids watching your kids fall in love with learning! I don't have any experience with Calvert, but I'm sure there are others on the site who do. You might post your question in the curriculum forum as well. Best of luck with everything....

Sarbare0704
07-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the group! I am also new to homeschooling we are starting K with our 4 year old! Great to have another newbie here.

SherryZoned
07-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome! I am in Arlington, TX.. welcome to the world of homeschooling. This is my first year also.

pandahoneybee
07-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the group! And being nervous, excited and worried is all a part of that first year! Enjoy it, is the best advice i can give ya oh and relax is another one;)

Shoe
08-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Ann, welcome to the group. Nervous, worried and excited still describes my feelings as we go into our second year. This group is a great resource and support.

Cheers.

StartingOver
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Ann, welcome to the group. Nervous, worried and excited still describes my feelings as we go into our second year. This group is a great resource and support.

Cheers.
I was getting ready for bed, came to check the boards one last time. Shoe has been busy....... hehe I have tons to do before bedtime now.

Shoe
08-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I was getting ready for bed, came to check the boards one last time. Shoe has been busy....... hehe I have tons to do before bedtime now.

Just trying to catch up on all the posts I've missed when I was on vacation and after that, through my wife's surgery...but I'm back now, in full swing!

InstinctiveMom
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Welcome, Ann!
I'm another Texas mom, and we're in our first year after pulling our boys mid-year in January. It's a welcome change for us and I'm sure you'll feel similarly. We've made so many changes since day 1 - it's interesting to look back and see that changes unfold. Like the others have said, this is a great place to be. welcome!!
Warmly,
~h

StartingOver
08-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Just trying to catch up on all the posts I've missed when I was on vacation and after that, through my wife's surgery...but I'm back now, in full swing!
Yipeee, we are glad to have you back too Shoe !

Riceball_Mommy
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the site. We're also a bit new to homeschooling ourselves (at least it feels that way still), we started less than a year ago. We used Calvert for Pre-K and now we are working on K. We haven't used 1st grade yet but if we like K as much as we did Pre-K I'm sure we'll be using Calvert for 1st grade.
Personally I love the structure of Calvert, but I also love that I can customize a bit too and add on when I want.

Shoe
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I tried to get on to the second page of posts and got an Internal Server error. Is this one of the problems the site has had recently or is this a new one? And can anyone else even read this post, since it would be on the second page?

StartingOver
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
grrr posting to see the second page.

Shoe
08-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Oh! I can see the second page now! Thanks for the welcome back, Jana.