PDA

View Full Version : Yee-Haa!!! Howdy from Wyoming!

michelleswnsn
07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I just found this site and am doing the happy dance!

I have four kids; 9, 6, 3, and 15 months and was motivated to get online and seek out information and a support group by the letter we received today from the school district, asking for our homeschooling paperwork. Wyoming is a great place for homeschooling families and the laws are pretty simple, (notify your school district with your intent to home school, the name(s) of your children over seven years old, and a list of your homeschooling curriculum, 30 days before the start of the school year). However, although minor in detail, the letter stated that my curriculum needs to be submitted before the school district's board meeting, because my curriculum needs to be approved. And that just rubbed me the wrong way.

In addition, the only homeschooling group in my community is very Christian and is not welcoming to those who do not agree with its Expected Conduct Agreement.

I am considering starting a secular homeschooling group in my community, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a commitment. I'd love to hear from anybody with suggestions about how to proceed. Even starting a simple Yahoo group would be something.

Oh yeah...about me... My name is Michelle. My husband and I have been married for 10 years after meeting in the physics dept at the university. (Two nerds who fell in love!) I am a busy and active breastfeeding counselor (which I LOVE). My husband and I love attending our local UU Church, which is why I feel compelled to offer an alternative, non-Christian homeschooling group to others in my community. When I'm not doing any of those things listed above, I love to eat chocolate, sleep in late, scrapbook, make Waldorf dolls, and read book after book after book!

So...HELLO! :-)

Topsy
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Michelle,
What a great intro!! I loved reading about you and your family!! It's terrific to have you here at SHS...we are a fun group of folks that I have a feeling you are going to fit right in with! ;) I say "Go For It" about creating the secular group...you might enjoy reading this article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) as you think toward that end. It can DEFINITELY be as simple as creating a Yahoo group and then when you have a few members on board, scheduling a simple ice cream shoppe outing or park day...or like you said, since you are members of the UU church, you might could even schedule an impromptu meeting there!

Well, I hope to see you around these parts often and get to know you better....welcome to the site!! :)

Stages
07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi! I'm very new here too, but I'm still doing the happy dance too. :)
I'm kind of in the same boat with only Christian support groups in my area. I'm in south Mississippi (deep Bible Belt) and the biggest group in my area is The Mississippi Home Educators Association (http://www.mhea.net/). My husband would have to sign a statement of faith saying that our family is a Christian family (oddly, I don't have to sign anything. I guess they think that I can't possibly disagree with my husband).
Anyway, I'm glad you found the site!

MamaB2C
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I am considering starting a secular homeschooling group in my community, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a commitment. I'd love to hear from anybody with suggestions about how to proceed. Even starting a simple Yahoo group would be something.

A yahoo group is an easy way to start, it costs you nothing and can be up and searchable in just a few minutes. Make it easily found like "Wyoming Secular Homeschoolers", that's exactly what I searched for in my state and found a group, which I assumed would be impossible :)

Also maybe you can post fliers at your UU?

Hi! I'm very new here too, but I'm still doing the happy dance too. :)
I'm kind of in the same boat with only Christian support groups in my area. I'm in south Mississippi (deep Bible Belt) and the biggest group in my area is The Mississippi Home Educators Association (http://www.mhea.net/). My husband would have to sign a statement of faith saying that our family is a Christian family (oddly, I don't have to sign anything. I guess they think that I can't possibly disagree with my husband).
Anyway, I'm glad you found the site!

South as in Coastal?

StartingOver
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the group. Great intro by the way.

Sarbare0704
07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the group! Glad you joined us! Being a breast feeding counslor sounds like an amazing job! I am in the begining stages of researching about becoming a midwife.

michelleswnsn
07-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes! Also, thanks for the link to the 'getting started' article.

We have a local yahoo group for any homeschooler in the area (and has almost 100 subscribers) but my message suggesting the formation of a second homeschooling group, a secular homeschooling group, is still waiting for moderator approval. With fingers crossed, I'm hoping the moderator is out of town and is not purposely ignoring the message, as I wrote it almost a week ago. :eek:

The local library hosts a homeschooler's fair every September, but with just the one group in town, even the fair begins with hand-holding and prayers. I'd love to have an official presence there, at the fair, and suggest that not all attendees are comfortable opening the event in such a way.

I'd love for the formation of this second, and IMO much needed, group to get off to a great, unopposed, and undramatic start - but I'm starting to worry a bit now. I'm so glad I've found a place; a support group, to learn from and to share my worries and challenges with.
Happy Monday all,

MamaB2C
07-26-2010, 08:36 AM
I guess I am confused. Anyone can start a Yahoo group, why did you seek approval from an existing group? Have any of the members approached you saying they are also secular?

What I would assume is that the secular people in your area have, for the most part, simply not joined the existing group.

michelleswnsn
07-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Hello again... and sorry for the confusion. :o

The local yahoo group was started (I think) back when there were two Christian homeschooling groups in town. One group folded, basically, into the other... but when you join the yahoo list it says, "not affiliated with any one group...but a way to stay in touch and share community homeschooling news with all local homeschoolers..."

But as with lots of yahoo groups, your first message or two has to be approved by the moderator. With almost 100 subscribers on this 'unaffiliated' list, I was hoping to reach a majority of local homeschoolers before the homeschooling fair at the library. I'd love to have the skeletal formation of the secular group at the fair, but if my message doesn't get past the moderator - I might just be out of luck. Oh well...one can only paddle up creek with their bare hands for so long before you arrive late and out of breath! LOL

pandahoneybee
07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
HI Michelle! I think that I will be able to remember your name;) Welcome to the group! I think that you will find this group a lively one and full of info (an other stuff hehe) Hope to hear more from you soon!

MamaB2C
07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Please don't apologize! I own my own confusion! LOL

wild_destiny
07-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello, (new) Michelle and welcome to the group! You sound like one up beat, terrific lady. Hope things go well with you in the group you are wanting to start. I sympathize with your worrying and not wanting to get off to a dramatic start. Just keep paddling and gasping for breath--you are bound to reach a shore sooner or later. You have a great day, too! :)

Shoe
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the group, Michelle. Sorry I'm late jumping on the welcoming bandwagon-vacation and family issues got in the way, and I'm just now trying to catch up on all the threads I've missed. Great introduction-I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.