PDA

View Full Version : Forum Guidelines

farrarwilliams
07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Since finding out the hater thread was deleted by the mods, I'd love for there to be clearer guidelines for forum behavior. When are people banned, when are threads deleted, posts deleted, etc.? Does the forum software mean threads can't be locked? Are warnings ever issued? I personally feel like a community feels safer when it's clear what's going to be allowed and what isn't. Some of it has to be situational, and you have to tick off some people, but I'm really unclear about when the line is drawn. In this case, it just felt random. Yes, people weren't playing 100% nice, but there has to be some room for disagreement and I'm not clear when the line was crossed. The punishment to all of us who enjoyed that thread just didn't seem to fit the crime, especially when it happened without any warning, at least visibly to the rest of the forum.

Topsy
07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I will definitely add it into our forum rules today. Any thread can be deleted at the request of the thread creator. That was the situation here, and as moderators we were following the request of the thread creator by removing the thread. Since the creator is technically the "owner" of the thread, I don't feel that there needs to be advance warning when removing a thread at the owner's request.

Stella M
07-28-2013, 06:50 PM
As the thread owner in question, I'd just like to clarify that my initial request was that two offensive posts in the Hater Thread, written by one poster after the mods had intervened to request that everyone' play nice', be deleted. This was not possible without the entire huge thread being investigated and so a temporary delete of the thread was agreed upon as a second choice whilst the issue was considered. I am not aware of whether the thread has been permanently deleted.

Anonymous Me
07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Being, a newbie and all, even after much clicking around...I can't seem to find the forum rules?

I wasn't aware of any exchange that got outta hand, but would like to make sure that I understand what constitutes "outta hand."

My favorite "Me Time" thing to do is to click on here with a glass of red at my side...so I wanna make sure to do my best to regulate myself :)

Topsy
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Here ya go! The Secular Homeschool Community FAQ (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/faq.php) If you need to find them again, they are in the forum menu under "FAQ".

MrsLOLcat
07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Anonymous Me, I wouldn't worry. Our mods are really awesome and tolerant of a lot.

farrarwilliams
07-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Got it. I totally misunderstood what happened then. Thanks for the clarification.

Stella M
07-28-2013, 08:04 PM
It's definitely one of the more tolerant forums out there, as far as moderation goes. As long as people aren't posting spam or writing abusive posts, there's no reason for anyone to worry.

farrarwilliams
07-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Okay, totally on a different note, but somehow I didn't realize SHS had this policy:

SHS defines spamming as sharing any unsolicited advertisements for goods or services in your forum posts. If you wish to promote your item on our website, please check out our Media Kit for information. If you are a homeschooler who is also affiliated with a product or service, you may not post directly about that product or service in the forum but you MAY include a link to that product or service in your profile signature. If you are NOT a homeschooler, or not considering homeschooling, this forum is probably not the appropriate place for you to share your information. Please check out our Media Kit (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/543-media_kit_for_advertisers/) for other opportunities to share your message with SecularHomeschool.com members.

There have been several posts I would have reported based on that in the past.

murphs_mom
07-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Anonymous Me, I wouldn't worry. Our mods are really awesome and tolerant of a lot.

Um, yeah...I think that's a safe statement (recalling a certain post regarding donkey balls). :wasntme: Ahem. A lot more slides through here compared to other sites. YAY!

Topsy
07-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Okay, totally on a different note, but somehow I didn't realize SHS had this policy:

There have been several posts I would have reported based on that in the past.

Definitely help us watch for any spamming...we really hate spamming on SHS. Thanks!

Topsy
07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
One last follow-up on the original Hater thread. I KNOW how much all of you had invested into that thread, and it was probably even record-breaking in terms of homeschool threads. (Maybe we should call Guiness??) :rolleyes:

It is STILL intact. I'm willing to give anyone who requests it, a direct link to the URL to view it or reference it when trying to remember something someone said. As long as it doesn't create difficulty or hard feelings, I'm willing to share it privately with anyone who emails me at [email protected]

Thanks.

Anonymous Me
07-29-2013, 08:07 PM
I KNOW how much all of you had invested into that thread, and it was probably even record-breaking in terms of homeschool threads. (Maybe we should call Guiness??) :rolleyes:

HA! HAHA! HAHAHAHA!!!! That's hilarious. It was quite huge, wasn't it? Don't know if anyone is familiar with the Hater's Club episode of Chappelle Show. That thread reminds me of that episode, which means that just reading "Hater Thread" brings a smile to my face. :P

Anonymous Me
07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Um, yeah...I think that's a safe statement (recalling a certain post regarding donkey balls). :wasntme: Ahem. A lot more slides through here compared to other sites. YAY!

That's a relief to hear. I make reference to the Unabomber from time to time, and although I have not yet sent anything to him (I keep revising my letter)...I was going to see what he thought about k12.com...and ask him for tips on crafting an outdoor-based curriculum that was heavy on woodworking...I was concerned that may not have been okay, even on an open-minded secular message board. The ex-Mormon in me is still heavy on guilt and fear.

Stella M
07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm happy for the thread to be restored, along with everyone's likes and post counts, which seem to be a concern for several people, as long as reported and/or abusive posts are removed first. The thread began with the reminder to play nice when it came to people. It was never intended to be a forum for SHS members to be abusive towards others. If the thread is restored, and at this point, that's in the hands of the mods, please remember it's for letting off steam in as light-hearted a manner as possible.

pandahoneybee
07-30-2013, 07:46 AM
I love you all!! YOU ROCK!!