PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Trying to pick secular/humanist/progressive curriculum for high school ASAP!!

hs4265
07-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi Everyone,
This may sound nuts but I have had no time to find a homeschool curriculum for my soon to be 10th grade son with IQ 130, ADD/ADHD/dyslexia. Gifted in math/science and Theatre. I need curriculum with a progressive /humanist perspective that is also the BEST in terms of ease of use and reviews. I have to come up with something for the math teacher next week, the English teacher, and the social studies teacher who I have not even found yet! We just moved from CA to CO this week and I have had no time for 6 months due to family crisis. For social studies I am looking for a curriculum that is similar to a Howard Zinn ( famous history teacher and progressive activist) "The Peoples' History. " I would like all these curriculums to come with a workbook so he can work in the book ( less copying for him which is a problem due to processing speed/dyslexia) So, to review, I need a curriculum for : Math ( geometry) ,10 th grade English ,and Social Studies ( Howard Zinn/progressive perspective) If anyone can send me links where to order the best curriculum and info on why it is the best ( especially if you have ADD/ADHD kids) that would be wonderful. He will be attending public for most of his non academic classes. Also, he needs an agenda if anyone knows the best one that has LOTS of space per academic AND has all the dates and days already written in without all the fluff that would be great. Thank you in advance!! Please email me at [email protected] in case I can't figure out how to get back to this site and open the right link. Heidi

dbmamaz
07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
There is not that much curriculum which is open-and-go like that. For math, you could check out art of problem solving. you might just want to consider buying the k12 materials individually if you need really easy to use. But most people who are homeschooling high school either use online classes (like audacity and others), use community college classes, use coop classes, or just teach freestyle

lakersey
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Here are some suggestions:

First, Time4Learning is rolling out their high school curriculum in just a few weeks. No one has tried it yet, so there aren't any reviews. But it would definitely be the easiest to get all your bases covered. It will have Math, English, Science and Social Studies. It's secular. It will be a lot like the lower grades - done mostly online. They often have printables that you can use like a workbook.
High School Curriculum - Interactive Learning Program (http://www.time4learning.com/curriculum/high-school.html)

Other thoughts:

Math - Teaching Textbooks (expensive, but worth it), Thinkwell (cheaper and has videos) or Khan Academy (free).

History - you could always supplement the Time4Learning with the HZ books. But, you should also check this out:
Idea of America : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site (http://www.history.org/history/teaching/ideaofamerica/index.cfm)
Here's a link to my write-up about it on my website:
The Idea of America, US History course for high school. | Plethora Homeschool (http://www.plethorahomeschool.com/the-idea-of-america/)

It would work very well with the HZ books.

Those are the things that sprang to my mind. I have a lot more stuff on my website plethorahomeschool.com. From what you're describing, though, I think Time4Learning might be the best thing if you need something comprehensive, quick and not at the cost of online private schools.

Good luck!

lakersey
07-29-2013, 09:20 PM
OK - I just thought of one more that is totally textbook based. It's been highly recommended by several people from the Democratic/Free school that we homeschool through as being very progressive and humanist. You can do either enrollment or just purchase their curriculum.

High school curriculum, high school diploma program (http://www.globalvillageschool.org/high-school-curriculum.html)

Littly
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Has anyone used Global Village School, Homeschooling Program, Homeschool Diploma (http://www.globalvillageschool.org/) either partly or as a complete school?

Might that be an option for you, Heidi?

Hi Everyone,
This may sound nuts but I have had no time to find a homeschool curriculum for my soon to be 10th grade son with IQ 130, ADD/ADHD/dyslexia. Gifted in math/science and Theatre. I need curriculum with a progressive /humanist perspective that is also the BEST in terms of ease of use and reviews. I have to come up with something for the math teacher next week, the English teacher, and the social studies teacher who I have not even found yet! We just moved from CA to CO this week and I have had no time for 6 months due to family crisis. For social studies I am looking for a curriculum that is similar to a Howard Zinn ( famous history teacher and progressive activist) "The Peoples' History. " I would like all these curriculums to come with a workbook so he can work in the book ( less copying for him which is a problem due to processing speed/dyslexia) So, to review, I need a curriculum for : Math ( geometry) ,10 th grade English ,and Social Studies ( Howard Zinn/progressive perspective) If anyone can send me links where to order the best curriculum and info on why it is the best ( especially if you have ADD/ADHD kids) that would be wonderful. He will be attending public for most of his non academic classes. Also, he needs an agenda if anyone knows the best one that has LOTS of space per academic AND has all the dates and days already written in without all the fluff that would be great. Thank you in advance!! Please email me at [email protected] in case I can't figure out how to get back to this site and open the right link. Heidi

dbmamaz
08-01-2013, 10:59 AM
i'm pretty sure she's never coming back here to look. she even said she might not find her way back