PDA

View Full Version : Hi there from Missouri

ESNQueen
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I've posted in a couple threads but never really said hi, so, HI!

I'm Brandi, I live in the St. Louis, MO area, and I am going to be HS'ing my DD7 and DS3 this year. DD went to public K, then we tried to HS for a month or so of first grade but things were kind of crazy and it didn't work. I think I was trying to do too much, try to many things, etc - so she went back to PS. It was disastrous. We have moved and she'll be home for second grade.

DH and the kids go to church, but I'm between faiths right now so I'm not going. :P So, while I'm not entirely secular, I'm schooling that way.

Nice to meet y'all.

Jadzia66
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome Brandi! I'm new here too and everyone as been very kind and helpful! I just finished HS 2nd grade with my oldest daughter so if I can help in any way please let me know! We too are what I would consider Christian in a way, we believe in God and Jesus but I have no intention of trying to teach my kids religious studies at all. That is what church and Sunday school are for and we haven't even found one of those yet and one thing I can not stand are Bible thumpers who try to tell me what is right and wrong. I would like to find a church that is extremely laid back, non judgemental and has no cliques. Guess what, can't find one. The cliques in some of these churches are so bad that it's like being back in high school. No thank you! Anyways, I've secularized the Christian cirriculum we use (easy to do, just replace what you don't like with things that you do, either by buying different books or printing things online). You will find a lot of great cirriculum ideas here from everyone. I've been having fun looking up all the different books they've suggested!

Topsy
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Great to have you here, Brandi! Thanks for taking the time to do an intro. I know you must be excited about beginning your homeschooling adventure in earnest. I bet it will be a wonderful year for you! We are always here to offer support, encouragement, and advice when needed...welcome to SHS!! :)

StartingOver
07-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Welcome Brandi, it is good to have you here !

Sarbare0704
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the group! I am glad you joined us!

kcanders
07-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Brandi and welcome. We are in the metro-east area and we will be homeschooling for the first time this fall.

MamaB2C
07-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Hi! I am also Brandi and there is another Brandi here too.

I have gone whole decades without meeting another one, and on this board we have 3?

kelly
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi! I was wondering if there was anyone near the O'Fallon area. I'm a mom of 2 young ones, but I'm homeschooling my daughter now. I love it and need some friends to share in this fun with!

ESNQueen
07-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Kelly, I'm in Arnold so nowhere near O'Fallon, but there are a bunch of Yahoo groups for homeschoolers in the St. Louis area, so you might find someone nearby in one of those! Good luck!

ginnyjf
07-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello, Brandi, from another Missourian! We're in Washington, which is about 50 miles northwest of Arnold. I know there are secular homeschooling groups in St. Louis, but all of them are too far away for us to participate. I'm homeschooling my son beginning, well, NOW actually. :-) He's 8 years old and I can't really put him in a "grade" level because he's all over the map, but his last year of PS was his first-grade year. Welcome to the board!

kcanders
07-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have contact info for secular homeschool groups in st louis? So far I have been unsuccessful in locating any.

Thanks!

pandahoneybee
07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Welcome Brandi! We are from the Show Me State originally ourselves , (Warrenton) pretty close to Ginnyjf! You have stumbled on one of the most active homeschool sites ever. Everyone up here has something to share! Wish I had found it 3 years ago! My youngest only went to Kindergarten and then I started HSing in the 1st grade for him too! It has been an incredible ride so far, and from the teachers telling me he was average in his grade I have found anything but to be true. Here in NC we have to test the kiddos every year, so I pimp that job out! AND he scored at the end of 1st grade end of second year reading and almost 4th grade in math, yea that's average. No one would have believed me if I didn't have someone else do the testing!
Can't wait to get to know ya, GO CARDS!

pandahoneybee
07-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Does anyone have contact info for secular homeschool groups in st louis? So far I have been unsuccessful in locating any.

Thanks!
I dont personally now BUT there are a couple of members pretty close to STL, so maybe you all could start your own! I think if you started it you would be surprised how many come out of the woodwork!

ginnyjf
07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Krish,

This page has a comprehensive list of the secular groups in Missouri:

MO Secular Homeschool Groups (http://stlouishomeschoolers.com/sample6.aspx)

The groups in my area have unfortunately fallen apart, but the St. Louis groups, particularly the ones in St. Charles, are still active. I wish we lived a little closer to the metro area!

ercswf
07-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm in the St. Louis area, Actually I live a few towns over from Krish. I have yet to put to much effort into finding a group. I plan on waiting till life dies down a little. Though I do know a lady that may have some info. I'll email her today.

ginnyjf
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
We should just pick a place somewhere in the middle and form our own group! I'd be willing to organize it.

kcanders
07-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Ginny, if you want to organize something we'll show up. I don't mind a drive, especially since I won't be spending 2 hours a day taking my kids to school. :)

ginnyjf
07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't mind a drive either! If no one else is interested, we could at least find a halfway point and meet up occasionally. My son Zack is 8, so I'm sure he'd enjoy meeting Ian and Maddie, and he loves babies!

ESNQueen
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
My kids would love meeting new people but we are a one-car-family for the time-being, and DH has to have it for work - I am NOT driving him to work at 6am no matter how much I want to do something during the day! :) Maybe something on a weekend, but, Arnold seems to be pretty far from everything so then again, it would depend on our gas budget. It's always something! Ugh.

kcanders
07-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Ginny, I would love to meet up occasionally. You are in Washington, MO right? I am in Troy, IL. So coincidentally the Arnold/Fenton area is probably about halfway for both of us. I'm sure Maddie and Ian would love meeting Zack. Especially Maddie, she is little miss social. :) So is there anyplace on the west side of St. Louis that you like to go? My kids will be at their grandparents for the next couple weeks, but later in Aug would work for us.

pandahoneybee
07-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Wow looks like another great group is forming;)

ercswf
07-31-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm able to meet up too. My boys are pretty excited about the idea of meeting other kids that homeschool.

Shoe
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
A belated welcome to the site, Brandi. I'm sure you'll find it a great place to be. I've been away for a bit with vacation and other family issues, but better late than never for a greeting, right?

Cheers.

ginnyjf
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Krish,

Sorry for dropping out temporarily. Zack was very sick for a few days and then I got bitten by a brown recluse and had a reaction to the venom. Not fun, to say the least, but we're both on the mend. I would love to organize a get-together; maybe we should PM each other and take it off the main thread? Look forward to hearing from you!!