PDA

View Full Version : where is the homeschooling for one child group?

katnora
07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi, I joined especially to be part of the homeschooling an only child group but now I can't find it! Can you direct me??
Thanks

Accidental Homeschooler
07-28-2013, 09:54 AM
It doesn't look like it is very active, but here you go.

One is Our Lucky Number - The Secular Homeschool Community (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group/2/)

hockeymom
07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Do you have any specific concerns?

katnora
07-28-2013, 03:41 PM
No specific questions. I just want to connect-even online-with other people who have one child and also homeschool.

hockeymom
07-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Understood. There are several of us here for sure! I don't think I'm a member of that group, but would be happy to bounce ideas or concerns around if you have any. Occasionally issues about having one kid do come up here; maybe a search might bring some up for you.

How old is your child? Are you new to homeschooling?

Welcome to the forum! :)

crunchynerd
07-29-2013, 07:57 AM
I am not a one-child homeschooler, but I know several in my area. I recall being constantly quizzed as to whether we were going to have any more children, when my daughter was an only, and I didn't like being asked, so I try never to ask someone else that kind of question. If there are annoyances that families with multiple children present to one-child families (aside from the obvious one of presenting opinions on family size, or asking prying questions about it), I would want to know, so I can try to do better. I really like a one-child homeschool mom I just met and wouldn't want to run her off from a lack of awareness or sensitivity.

murphs_mom
07-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Well I feel dumber than usual...I didn't even know there was a group for parents of onlies. Ta-duh. :rolleyes:

hockeymom
07-29-2013, 08:13 AM
I am not a one-child homeschooler, but I know several in my area. I recall being constantly quizzed as to whether we were going to have any more children, when my daughter was an only, and I didn't like being asked, so I try never to ask someone else that kind of question. If there are annoyances that families with multiple children present to one-child families (aside from the obvious one of presenting opinions on family size, or asking prying questions about it), I would want to know, so I can try to do better. I really like a one-child homeschool mom I just met and wouldn't want to run her off from a lack of awareness or sensitivity.

Assuming that one kid is "easier" than multiple. The challenges are different to be sure, but present nonetheless (think about all the times you need to get something done and you tell your kids, "Go play with your sister/brother!". Yeah, we don't have that option!).

Nice of you to ask, crunchy! :)

murphs_mom
07-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Another downside to HSing a single child is when the lesson involves working with a partner or group. DD's workbooks have often had pages where she's supposed to work in tandem with another student. Frustrating. I end up having her work w/her dad much of the time because we don't really know any other secular HSers around here anymore. Times like those, I wish we had a second child. :)

skrink
07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
There's even more emphasis on the big socialization demon - since we're already depriving her of friends, how can she possibly learn how to get along/learn to share, compromise or empathize without sibs? We've got the added bonus of the ASD issues, which mostly ARE social/behavioral issues. How will she ever learn to be "normal" (direct in-law quote, btw)?

skrink
07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Also wanted to add - sometimes the decision for an only is conscious and deliberate, sometimes it's made for you by circumstances. Assuming you know which? Bad idea. Assuming you know best? Even worse.

hockeymom
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Saying things like, "Oh, you JUST have the ONE?". I don't say to other families, "My God, you have SEVEN?!" or "Oh wow--you are pregnant AGAIN?".

I've never had anyone insinuate to my face that he must be deprived because he doesn't have siblings, but apparently that happens plenty. So yeah, don't do that. :)

murphs_mom
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
I've never had anyone insinuate to my face that he must be deprived because he doesn't have siblings, but apparently that happens plenty. So yeah, don't do that. :)

I've had it happen. Friends, family, and strangers have all managed to make a 'so when you starting on the second', 'she's gonna need someone to play with', or, 'you can't have just the one' comments at one time or another. I usually just tell them, "We had the one so DH would have a playmate," and let it go at that. It's none of their business that the egg factory has closed down and the production line is dead. :p

sdvelochick
07-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm homeschooling with 1! My son is 9 and while we have our set of frustrations I think it works well overall. Sometimes I am envious of large families who get to do cool group projects, but we are lucky in that he does get to go to homeschool classes 1 day a week. I'm going to venture over to the only child group and maybe we can keep it more active :-D