PDA

View Full Version : Secular household/homeschool planner

bumblesmama
07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
I know this topic has been done everywhere ad nauseum. I usually prefer to create my own things, but lets face it, time is more valuable and we all have so much on our plate already. I really want to just buy something that is useful, pretty, and what I want.

I have heard great things about The Well Planned Day planners, I particularly like the On The Go one because I would love something that fits in my purse and not something I have to lug around. I don't want the nostalgia of my undergrad backpack and frankly, it was over rated.

So are there any secular planners similar in format and quality as The Well Planned Day? It sounds like what I am looking for but I would really rather have inspirational quotes on the pages from the likes of Emerson, Milton, Socrates, even Anonymous, and not John Edwards. Even blank spots to write my own inspirations or quotes that spoke to me would be neat.

I am not an atheist but I prefer my muses to be from all facets of life and culture.

Is there anything like this, with Well Planned Day quality that I don't have to make? Or if anyone uses the Well Planned Day, do you find it no big deal?

mntnmom
07-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Homeschool Planner - Raising a Self-Reliant Child (http://www.raisingaselfreliantchild.com/dt_portfolio/homeschool-planner/)

sbweldon
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
There's a free trial for an on-line planner you can find here:

Homeschool Planet Free Trial - FREE for Homeschoolers Today - Homeschool Buyers Co-op (http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-planet-free-trial/)

I've been trying it for a few days and it seems good. They have inspirational quotes that you can turn on or off and there's a mobile version for your smartphone.

I'm also going to check out your idea now too mntnmom, thanks! Our kids are young and we don't even need to organize yet but I love organizing and planning. Sometimes I think a little too much!

raegan
09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Has anyone been using HSBC's Homeschool Planet (mentioned above by sbweldon)? If so, How do you like it?

I know I could do the free trial, but if people say it totally sucks, I'd rather not input all that data, you know?

(also, can I import google calendars into it? It didn't seem like it from the various descriptions, but since we are SO busy, that's a lot of redundancy if it's not transferable, yk?)

groovymom2000
09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Has anyone been using HSBC's Homeschool Planet (mentioned above by sbweldon)? If so, How do you like it?

I know I could do the free trial, but if people say it totally sucks, I'd rather not input all that data, you know?

(also, can I import google calendars into it? It didn't seem like it from the various descriptions, but since we are SO busy, that's a lot of redundancy if it's not transferable, yk?)

I started the free trial, and I think mine may have expired now. I thought it was ok, but kind of cumbersome for me. I don't know if you can import calendars into it--but I don't think so. The biggest deal breaker for me so far was that their mobile version doesn't allow you to edit anything, only to view. Since my computer is not in the same room as the one where we do most of our schooling, it just didn't work for us. Also, the inability to edit on the fly was annoying. I wanted to be able to sync the ios calendar with it, and I couldn't. They say that an updated mobile version is coming, but until it does, it's kind of useless for me. If you enter everything on the pc then it might work for you.
I keep trying to get my kid to develop the kind of app that I want, but all he wants to do is work on games! lol

Leanne71
09-05-2013, 07:58 AM
I just want a planner faerie, to come in and do it for me!

raegan
09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks, groovymom. Those would be dealbreakers for me, too. I may revisit skedtrek (or whatever it's called)--I think I recall hearing that they have some nifty mobile capability now.

I really liked the idea of one from hsbc, though. bummer.

raegan
10-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Homeschool schedtrack (gah! what IS the right spelling?!) will NOT work for me. I used to build databases, so I understand why it's built the way it is. But I'm just not there anymore I guess.

I tried Scholaric on a whim, and Man, I love it! My free trial is up, and though I am Cheap (with that capital C) as can be - plus the stupid shutdown is threatening our income - I went ahead and subscribed for my two boys. A whopping $4/month. But I love how I can just print out each day's assignments, checklist-style. Before, I was writing in my homemade lesson planner and copying it to another assignment sheet that sometimes didn't get looked at. And heaven forbid if I had, say, a horrifying intestinal illness go through the household like wildfire and throw our schedule off by at least a week...That was when I gave it a try, actually. I couldn't bring myself to erase the first half of October and re-work everything in.

So Scholaric is where I landed, and I'm really loving it at this point.

minivacation
06-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi Bumblesmama -Did you end up using something secular that you found or did you go with The Well Planned Day? I am pondering this same question and wondering if the religious portion of the planner will bother me.

darkelf
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I just got A Simple Plan.......it is made by a Christan company and It does have bible verses. 1 per month. And there is a prayer request section on a side, but it is not as Christian as a Well Planned day, which I used for the last Two year. I posted a review on a different board and I'm considering a blog post.

Marcel.com

kristinabrooke
06-18-2014, 02:09 AM
My digital planner is $30 but you never have to buy updates! All updated versions are free. The one that is post is a digital download that you can print. I also provide an editable PDF version but have not been able to create it this year. I will it by August.

THE WORLD IS OUR CLASSROOM SECULAR HOMESCHOOLING PLANNER - TeachersPayTeachers.com (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-World-is-Our-Classroom-Secular-Homeschooling-Planner-762855)

Kristina

crunchynerd
06-23-2014, 10:42 AM
I might just delve into some of these suggestions.
Most recently, I bought a Blue Sky horizontal 10X8 (when closed) academic year planner that goes from July 2014-June 2015, and I like it better than even the week-at-a-spread 8.5X11 one I had before, that shows the weekend days as smaller.

I found it at Walmart of all places, and it looks like it's hard to find! Even the Blue Sky website isn't showing it, but their facebook page does: mine is the Botanical Vines Pink (I like the energetic pink-and-oranges color scheme inside), and it's an improvement over the traditional week-at-a-glance, because when open, Mon, Tue, Wed, and THu appear as full-length columns on one wide page, and Fri, Sat, Sun, and Notes, take up the 4 columns on the next page, so there's as much space for each day of the week for bullet lists and a sense of time, in spacious, lined columns, than I found was the case when each weekday was a horizontal rectangle. Plus, I like the Notes section at the end of each weekly spread, and the fact that weekend days don't get shorter space than everything else.

I also like that M-Th is one one page, and the facing page is Fri/Sat/Sun and Notes, which reflects our tendency toward 3-day weekends in our homeschooling (Fridays tend to be daytrip/social days).

I still get a tabbed monthly division system, with a fullpage monthly calendar at the beginning of each month, but this one also has, on the facing page to that, three spacious checklist columns, titled "DO", "CALL" and "BUY" which is really practical for me, that I used to try to squeeze all that into the scanty Notes sections of the traditional week-per-view layout.

This is the best planner for me, for our day in general as well as learning activity plans. But it appears to be hard to find just yet, and is a brand-new product line. It also has a ton of things I probably won't use, in the back, like ample grocery checklists organized according to category, contact info/phone/address area, party planners and travel checklists. But I could see other people using those.

My formal homeschool learning plans and daily activities are still uncomplicated and few enough, per day, that this works best for me: we don't need to keep track of 6 subjects a day, all different, complete with page numbers and chapters, for several kids. DD is about the only one doing anything that formal now, and even then, it's one formal thing per day, most days, not 6 subjects a day from 6 different texts, you know?

So all I really need to stay on top of, are social plans, planned field trips and outings, a rough outline of weekly and daily chore goals and to-do-list, and a few jotted notes on what DD is to do for studies that day, and what days I'll mark a spot for focused work with the littler ones.

crunchymum
06-23-2014, 12:20 PM
I found this one on pinterest last night. It looks like it might be a good option
DAYBOOK TEACHER BINDER PREPPY STYLE BY TINA'S TEACHING TREASURES 2014-2015 - TeachersPayTeachers.com (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Daybook-Teacher-Binder-Preppy-Style-by-Tinas-Teaching-Treasures-2014-2015-1194847)

darkelf
06-24-2014, 06:02 PM
The "hard copy" A Simple Plan planner review:

My well planned day cost 26.00 + shipping

A Simple Plan was 20.00 plus shipping (I added sticky notes and bookmarks and the total with shipping was less then 30.00)

Well Planned Day is about 1/2 thick. A Simple Day 1in.

A Simple Plan has pockets on the inside of the front in back covers to hold papers, The Well Planned Day, does not have pockets.

A Simple Plan has reinforced tabs for general information, each month (with year ex July 2014 or June 2015. ), Well planned day does not have tabs.

A Simple Plan offers a "planning" section with a "weekly plan" for 6 kids, yearly overview (for 6 subjects for 6 kids)

A Simple Plan: Each month starts a Scripture, things to do, special activities supplies needed and a blank reading list, then continues with a 2 page monthly "overview" page. After that you get into daily planning: 6 blank subjects areas with spaces to write for 6 kids and a "notes" section.

A Well Planned Day has a 1 page monthly overview page, an article, 6 shopping lists. and then the daily planning (Subjects are pre-printed: Bible, Math, History, Science, English, and 1 1/2 "blank" subjects for 4 kids.

Both books have an attendance record: Well Planned Day is after each "semester". A Simple Plan is in the "Student Records" part.

Well Planned Day has "report cards", A Simple Plan does not.

QuestAcademy
06-29-2014, 12:22 AM
I've been using a planner from House of Doolittle (www.houseofdoolittle.com (http://www.houseofdoolittle.com)) for years. I buy ours from Amazon, but they're available other places too. I like the universal quotes and definitions provided throughout the planner. I just learned about The World is Our Classroom Secular Homeschooling Planner this year and it looks like another good option to try out for our coming "school" year. There are good resources out there, and I hope everyone finds something that works well for their family.

CrunchyNoVa
07-11-2014, 12:20 AM
My digital planner is $30 but you never have to buy updates! All updated versions are free. The one that is post is a digital download that you can print. I also provide an editable PDF version but have not been able to create it this year. I will it by August.

THE WORLD IS OUR CLASSROOM SECULAR HOMESCHOOLING PLANNER - TeachersPayTeachers.com (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-World-is-Our-Classroom-Secular-Homeschooling-Planner-762855)

Kristina

Kristina, how many spaces do you have for subjects in your planner? I like to have space for all of our subjects, which most planners don't have room for. I found one at Lakeshore Learning that I've used for the past two years but a lot of the pages are of no use to me because I'm not a classroom teacher. I love that you also include a page for workboxes, do you have a sample of that page?

kristinabrooke
08-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I am so sorry for the delay! On the Weekly Planning page there are 9 subject spaces and on the lesson Summary Page there are 8. The Weekly Planning page has 9 because I use one for Morning Routine. We also give you spaces for Sunday - Saturday because we homeschool on a very irregular schedule. I do have a sample of the workbox pages somewhere. I am in the mist of planning so when I finish I can share.