PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn Cherokee?

trulycrabby
07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Hello! Here is a link to free, online courses in Cherokee. There are live classes available with set starting and end dates, and also audio recordings of previous classes. The classes are held by native speakers of the Cherokee language, courtesy of The Cherokee Nation (my tribe).

Audio transcripts of Cherokee classes
http://www.cherokee.org/AboutTheNation/Culture/OnlineLanguageClasses/LessonDocuments.aspx

To sign up for live classes:
Online Language Classes (http://www.cherokee.org/AboutTheNation/Culture/OnlineLanguageClasses.aspx)

alegre
07-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing.

Mslksdh
07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
So excited about this!

summer94
07-23-2013, 04:54 AM
OMG, this is so awesome! I'm part Cherokee as well in addition to Micmac and some various other tribes...although sadly, I don't look it at all. lol

kmath
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Awesome! That looks interesting.

trulycrabby
07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
OMG, this is so awesome! I'm part Cherokee as well in addition to Micmac and some various other tribes...although sadly, I don't look it at all. lol

Is the avatar picture you?

MrsLOLcat
07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Trulycrabby, if you ever make it up to Tahlequah, OK, their heritage center is really amazing. Do you have anything similar in Alabama?

trulycrabby
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Trulycrabby, if you ever make it up to Tahlequah, OK, their heritage center is really amazing. Do you have anything similar in Alabama?

I was born not too far from Tahlequah; yes I have been to the Cherokee Heritage Center. DS9 is particularly curious about his Cherokee heritage, so we hope to visit Tahlequah and Cherokee Nation next summer. :D

Not a Heritage Center, but Alabama is rich in Native history. There are several burial mound sites, Native American Festivals, and six reservations.

summer94
07-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Is the avatar picture you?

Yup, blonde hair, freckles, white ass skin and green eyes..doesn't exactly scream native! ahahaha

I have one other cousin that looks like me (blonde etc), I call us the white sheep of the family. I was so always so jealous of my other girl cousin, especially when she dressed up for a school project. Full costume, gorgeous dress and headress, long black straight hair, ugh, bitch ;) j/k she's beautiful.

Cherokee is on my dad's side (his mom, dad is European) and I think Choctaw. My mom's side (her mom's side) has the Micmac and some other "Cajun Indian" as we say.

I just did a dna thing and found out that my top 2 connections are Portugal (totally NOT expected, was expecting more German/French) and Nicaragua! So I'm guessing that some of my native ancestors migrated up from there, possibly settling in south Louisiana. I also had a surprise connection in Mozambique! Come to find out my moms dad's side did own slaves (I thought they were too poor) and there is talk of some African traits in some pictures. We also have pirates in family...apparently, many were hanged! My mom is an ancestry buff. lol

KittyP
07-26-2013, 04:36 AM
I've been meaning to do this for over a year, I just keep not starting. :rolleyes: I really want to take Kiddo to OK someday so he can learn more about the tribe and really experience that part of his heritage. I've been trying to put together something age appropriate for this coming year, but most things seem to be upper grade school or higher.