PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic: New Vaccine : FYI

StartingOver
07-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't want to start a debate about vaccinating or not LOL. I just want to let you all know about a change, I keep really good track because of Emma's anaphylactic allergies.
I am a delayed vaccinator, since mine don't go to school there is no need to rush. There are a few vaccines Emma can not have.

For those of you who like to research new vaccines that are suggested for our children. There is a new one recommended, in the past our children have received Prevnar or PCV-7 as of March 2010 there is a new PCV - 13. My pediatrician has the new vaccine in his office already.

Of course my pediatrician didn't explain the difference to me. I want to see the way it is made before my anaphylactic daughter receives it. I have not been able to find a tons of info yet.

hockeymom
07-19-2010, 07:21 AM
What is this vaccine for? DS had an allergic reaction to the aluminum hydroxide mixed with a vaccine when he was 5, so we have to be sure to avoid it in the future. Last year when H1N1 was a big deal, the government here wouldn't tell me whether or not the vaccine offered contained AH so we opted to go without. In the States, it was offered both with and without, as most vaccines are. Under normal circumstances he won't need immunizations again until he is 12, but it's good to know what is available and decide from there.

StartingOver
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
The Pneumococcal Conjugate or PVC is mostly for children under 5 here in the US. My children already have 4 of the PCV - 7. I don't care for the change without notification. I will need to know what they other 6 strains are, and if anything has changed in the ingredients otherwise.

Issues with vaccine ingredients are tough. HUGS

schwartzkari
07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Both of my kids have checkups coming up. Ari will have his 22 month and Eliana has her 6 year. My pediatrician is pretty good at explaining the vaccines, so I'll ask him about the differences. It is difficult to keep up with all the vaccines.

Thanks for the info!

StartingOver
07-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Both of my kids have checkups coming up. Ari will have his 22 month and Eliana has her 6 year. My pediatrician is pretty good at explaining the vaccines, so I'll ask him about the differences. It is difficult to keep up with all the vaccines.

Thanks for the info!

I read some more last night, and it is said to have been made the same way as the PVC - 7, except that PCV 13 has 6 more strains in it. I have no issue with PCV -7, but will need to see the insert to see if it is indeed made the same way.

The main Pediatrician at my office and I butt heads on occasion. He is good, and really had my sons asthma controled. Quince is chronic severe with some major scarring from the respirator when he was born preemie. But the doctor has really dropped the ball with Emma, luckily he has 3 other doctors in his office. The other 3 understand where I am coming from. I do not know which one I will see tomorrow, but whichever, I will see the insert before agreeing to the vaccine.

Mamajake
07-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? I have lots of allergies to inert ingredients and I have found calling the manufacturer the best way to get accurate info.

InstinctiveMom
07-31-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm a non-vaxer who thinks that there are risks either way you go, and that a well-informed parent will make the decision that is best for their own families. That said, the vaccines that have more than one in them, IMO, make it more difficult to pinpoint what, exactly, caused the problem. I feel that if allergies are an issue in your family, then the safer route if you choose to vaccinate is to go with single-doses, spread far enough apart to be able to accurately judge if *this* vaccine is an issue.

I've never had an issue getting the actual vaccine insert, other than the fact that you must specifically ask for it, which is much more informative that the 'vaccine info' sheet that the pedi gives you, especially when evaluating the possible side effects and risks associated with a particular vaccine.
~h