PDA

View Full Version : Starting Kindergarten!

JEJordan9
07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello all! I'm new to homeschooling and we'll be starting with my 5 year old daughter this year! My 2 year old will probably join in as well.

We bought a classroom full of Montessori supplies earlier this year and they've been great! Right now, our whole classroom is like a Montessori setting. I want to mix in other things to see what works for us and what doesn't.

So far my plans are to:

-register my daughter under a private umbrella school soon (unschooler)
-join several co-ops
-work on some lesson plans so my daughter can work at home the days we don't do co-ops
-we also joined time4learning.com so she'll be able to do some computer work
-we'll also be doing gymastics and dance for some P.E. time

I am so new at all this (You can tell, right? :o ) If any of you think my schedule looks too busy and we are doing too much to start with, please let me know!

StartingOver
07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the group ! I think you have set a wonderful plan. Whether you are doing to much or not will be determined by your daughter. ;-) She will let you know in no time, just be flexible and meet her where she is.

schwartzkari
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Your plan looks great to me! When I started Kindergarten with my daughter, we did about 30 minutes a day and she quickly let me know that she wanted more, lol. She's in 1st grade now and has worked her way up to about 3 hours of studying/hands on work, plus she does dance class. Dance class is excellent for PE!

I agree with Jana, be flexible!

:)

Shoe
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the site! I'm still new to homeschooling too, though my kids are much older.

pandahoneybee
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the group;) I can tell you that everyone is right take your time and try not to do too much all at once. We had that problem when I pulled my boys from PS here in NC. (they finished 5th and K) I went all crazy and signed us up for so many things and was doing SO much of every subject every day! Well we had a mini break down 6 months in and did much better after dropping some activities! I am one of those people who wanted to know where the HOME was in homeschool cuz we were never here! You will have a good feel of what is too much for you and your daughter that's why we make the best teachers! And the most important thing for us is that we all enjoy learning!

JEJordan9
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Thank you everyone! I may just drop one co-op and make it a bit more flexible for my daughters...and myself! I look forward to seeing you all around the boards!