PDA

View Full Version : Reading way ahead of his grade level!

Snoopy
03-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Noah is technically in 2nd grade. Last year he devoured the Geronimo Stilton series (http://www.kidsreads.com/series/series-geronimo-titles.asp), which are very age appropriate. This January, he read all 19 books in the Dragon Slayers' Academy series (http://www.katemcmullan.com/dsa01.htm). Then, last month, we decided to listen to The Lightning Thief (http://www.rickriordan.com/index.php/books-for-children/) on CDs, seeing that we only had a couple of weeks prior to the movie coming out. As soon as we were done with the CDs, he exclaimed: "I can't wait to READ the sequel!" So I bought the subsequent sequels (4 more books in the series) and he's currently on book #3 "The Titan's Curse" and loving it! Amazon indicates that the recommended reading level is 6th through 9th grade. I'm thrilled that he loves reading and doubly thrilled that he undertook to read a much bigger and complicated book on his own. Shakespeare, here we come! ;)

Topsy
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
That is SUCH a great thing!! We have had a similar experience with our youngest son who is 14, and has dyslexia. I thought he would never get to books anywhere NEAR his grade level, and he recently worked his way through the Percy Jackson series as well. Woo Hoo! Yea for reading!!

Snoopy
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
So cool, Topsy! And woohoo for the Percy Jackson series :) Tell your son that Rick Riordan has a new series that comes out on May 4, "The Red Pyramid", and this time it involves ancient Egypt and the protagonist is 14. We were able to listen to the first chapter at Borders when they had a Lightning Thief event the week before the movie came out, and it was very good. You can also read the 1st chapter here (http://www.rickriordan.com/index.php/2010/02/the-red-pyramid-sneak-peek/).

CroppinMom
03-11-2010, 11:55 PM
I love hearing stories like these! I truly believe that it is the LOVE of reading that is the most important thing we can give to our kids. My 9 y/o ds loves to read and it makes me so happy every time I see him crack open a book. Especially in this day and age where so much of their reading is done on a screen - the joy of a reading a book is something special.

~Kim~

Shoe
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think my son is reading above his grade level, but he certainly enjoys reading and spends time every night reading. Since I spent at least as much time with various fictional realms found in literature as I did with my friends in the world of flesh and blood when I was growing up, this makes me quite happy.

"the joy of a reading a book is something special." CroppinMom, I agree wholeheartedly.

Cheers.

Melissa845
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
My son is 7, if he were in public school he would be in first grade. Other people tell me he is reading above his grade level. And when we buy books they frequently have grades much higher than his listed. But I don't buy it. I don't think he is above grade level. I think the grade levels are "wrong". Some examples: Horace Splattly is listed as ages 9 to something, Wiley and Grampa ages 9+, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures, of course the Magic Tree House books (really really? age 9???), Time Warp Trio, Junie B Jones, Encyclopedia Brown (as a kid I loved these, now I can't stand them), Clue Kids Jr, Andrew Lost.... I could go on and on and those are just the series that came to mind, he also reads non-series (of course). I just looked up a bunch of these books and they are on the ages 9-12/Grade 3 lists. I just can't see kids waiting that long to read these books and he has been reading them for almost a year already, so since he was 6.

Melissa R

Snoopy
04-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes, Noah (and all my other kids) were reading Magic Tree House books when they were in Kindergarten. My other kids are in p.s. and they all test 4-5 years above their reading grade level. Not sure if the grade levels reflect the average reading level of the population or what, and if they do, it's kind of frightening. I tend to not really care of the reading level for younger kids because it's very inconsistent from publisher to publisher, I think, but when I see my just-turned-8 son read books that are 300+ page books, I'll admit that it gives me a thrill, lol!