PDA

View Full Version : "Foods from Other Countries" ideas?

rueyn
07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
We were at the market yesterday and became fascinated by the cherimoya and star fruits. Took a few home, learned about them, and ate them at dinner. It was really fun, and I would love to do something similar every month: find a few foods from a specific country and set up a family tasting.

Would you please share your favorite foods from other countries? The only restriction is that they need to be buy-able here in the States (or made with ingredients I can buy here) and something a kid wouldn't be completely grossed out by (tongue, for example ;)).

Leanne71
07-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Marron ( crawfish? ) fresh water crustacean.
Kangaroo, I do believe you can get it in the states now, usually stew or crock pot it. Very expensive here.
Damper, ( simple bread )flour, water, pinch of salt, wrap in alfoil and cook in fire! Plenty of butter and jam. Great for campfires
Just a few of our foods we enjoy from Oz.

MrsLOLcat
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Heh, you want good Aussie food, visit Simply Oz (http://www.simplyoz.com). My kids get their stockings stuffed with candy from there every year... and so does DH.

For everything else, have you seen this blog? Global Food Blog (http://globaltableadventure.com) She lives in Tulsa and buys most of her ingredients here, so there shouldn't be anything TOO hard to find.

RTB
07-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Fun! Here are a few of our favorites that are on regular menu rotation and are also easy.

Scottish oatcakes, Adas bil Hamod, African Peanut Soup (sometime called West African), Moros y Cristianos, Natillas, English Toffee, Tom Ka Gai, Irish Soda Bread, Mujaddara, Avgolemono (with chicken and rice as a soup), Caldo Verde, Greek green beans, shortbread, Turkish tea, Indian Chai tea. If you have the time, homemade dolmas are amazing (Greek or Turkish style).

Sometimes we will go for regions (of the States), which is fun too. There is a really good Appalachian cookbook that is free on the internet, Appalachian Home Cooking. I have also found good results by just Goggling the country I want.

meanoldmommy
07-13-2013, 11:50 PM
My DS4 went nuts over rambutan fruit. He pretended he was dissecting hairy alien eyeballs. Can be found in Asian groceries or international markets. Also, we had a dumpling week comparing dumplings from various cuisines. Shui mai won hands down. :-)

Stella M
07-14-2013, 01:19 AM
We love to cook Bara Brith, a Welsh tea bread. We first cooked it years ago when reading a series set in Wales.

rueyn
07-14-2013, 07:39 AM
You ladies are awesome as always!! Keep 'em coming! :D

Leanne71
07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Wasn't going to post this until the outcome was certain, but our Scout Group held a Hangi on the weekend. It is the traditional Maori way of feeding a heap of people, I can say it was a success. We fed 50 people and managed to have a great time.

Timing is everything, that and welders gloves!

MrsLOLcat
07-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Colcannon and bibimbap are two of our favorite 'foreign' dishes. And naan. Oh, and it is REALLY easy to make homemade paneer.

SagittariusMich
07-15-2013, 11:41 PM
This post made me think of mole sauce. I've never made it but I've tried it from a friend's recipe and it's been on my to-do list for years. In essence, mole sauce is an ever-ready sauce for any Mexican dish. This (http://www.thekitchn.com/the-curry-of-mexico-mole-sauce-127235) article calls it "the curry of Mexico" and a few recipes are linked there.

One thing our family does quite often is Chinese food, basically a stir fry with whatever we have on hand. It is the spices and sauce that bring the right flavor whether it's chicken, shrimp, veggies or fried rice. Ginger, garlic, chilies, rice wine and rice wine vinegar and toasted sesame oil are all staples in the pantry. We can have those Chinese food flavors in a town without a good take-out place.

This is a good topic for sure.

Avalon
07-16-2013, 01:14 AM
We eat a lot of Indian food: curry, butter chicken, samosas, paneer, naan, etc... I recently had Indian Biryani that was AMAZING. One of my students made it and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I need to add that to my repertoire.

Falafel on pita is easy, cheap, and delicious (middle eastern, I think)

We also like sushi rolls (it's easy to make your own california rolls, or simple rolls with cucumber).

yocumdeb
08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Our library has a great section of international cookbooks in the children's section. They have a whole series of books that cover maybe 20-30 different countries or regions. I suggest these because their recipes usually use ingredients that are not horribly difficult to find. They also give a lot of information on traditions in the countries. I'm sure the adult section has tons of books as well, but I find the children's books are more accessible. Enjoy!

sdvelochick
08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Could have a propert cream tea with scones and clotted cream. If you can't find clotted cream you can make it at home (or just use the cream off the top of cream top milk)

MrsJadeDragon
08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Kid friendly Asian foods that are easy to make at home:

Char siu bao (Chinese) -- steamed buns filled with a pork mixture. Food writer Andrea Nguyen has a great recipe (http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-bao7-2009oct07,0,7536561.story).

Jaozi / potstickers (Chinese) -- Who doesn't love potstickers? Fun to make together as a family; easily found frozen with the Ling Ling brand is pretty decent for an American brand, tons of really good ones are available frozen at Asian markets.

Onigiri (Japanese) -- rice balls (http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics/onigiri-omusubi-faq). Salted salmon and sour plum (ume) are traditional fillings; I've made bacon onigiri before. Yum. These can also be left unfilled for finnicky eaters. Best made using Japanese short grain rice; American long grain just won't stick together for this to work.

Pho (Vietnamese) -- Vietnamese beef soup. Can be made at home fairly easily but is best experienced at a Vietnamese noodle house that has all the fresh herbs there but for a kids, I'd leave out most of the herbs. (My daughter loves veggies but the fresh herbs in the soup can still be too strong.)

Adobo (Filipino) -- Chicken or pork (or both) stewed in soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, etc. National dish of the Philippines, totally easy to make and delicious. But I am biased. Serve with rice.

Jook/Okayu/Chao/Lugaw aka Rice Porridge (Various) -- Really easy to make, very cheap, universal throughout most of Asia with tons of cultural variations. I grew up with it thick and studded with chicken and ginger for Filipino arroz caldo; my Vietnamese husband prefers his thinner with chicken, scallions, Chinese cruller, Maggi sauce, etc.

A straightforward approach is just to boil chicken broth with rice in a 16:1, 10:1 or 8:1 ratio for thin, medium and very thick varieties. Takes about 2 hours over the stove, can also do in a crock pot on low for 6+ hours for busy days. Can garnish with just torn chicken strips for a simple meal.