PDA

View Full Version : HHMI free science material

dbmamaz
07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
This has been posted a ton on facebook, and I realized it should probably be posted here too. The Howard Hughs Medical Institute gives out tons of free educational materials - mostly high school level.

This link (http://www.hhmi.org/order-materials)is the one thats mostly gone around - if you limit to DVDs, you can order all these free science videos, many evolution based.

i actually wrote them saying I hope they dont mind the influx of evolution-loving homeschoolers who are so excited to find their materials.

I got this response:

We donít mind the rush of homeschoolers at all Ė in fact, we welcome it. Our focus is on producing high-quality, scientifically-accurate resources for all types of educators. We do not have a specific agenda other than to educate.

You may have noticed that all of our videos have supplementary activities and teacher guides, which are available on www.BioInteractive.org (http://www.biointeractive.org/). Please do not hesitate with any questions about adapting these materials for the home school environment.

how awesome!

inmom
07-11-2013, 04:20 PM
We have quite a bit of their material. They are excellent!

dbmamaz
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
oh, they have an app, too - i downloaded but didnt check it out yet

bcnlvr
07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
OMG I just ordered several and was totally ready and willing to pay shipping. Nope. FREE
Wow.

ksb427
07-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm on there right now. Thanks, Cara!

jess97
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Thank you so much. I just ordered seven items from them. I can't believe it is FREE! We are studying life science this year and my oldest loves to learn from what I call "talking heads." Many of these look like lecture-style videos. Perfect for him.

melissa
07-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks Cara!

murphs_mom
07-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I ordered from them last year and it was super easy. When I mentioned it to a couple of the other local HSers, they were reluctant to try the site because they felt there must be a 'hidden agenda' with the materials. I never found one...does anyone know of anything remotely negative associated with the HHMI materials?

Tex-Bex
07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I ordered a bunch from them yesterday. I'm looking forward to receiving it! I just wish they had included some age ranges, as I'm not sure which will work for my 7 and 9 year olds.

dbmamaz
07-12-2013, 09:20 PM
i believe most of them are lectures, but there was one . . i forget which - that someone said was more kid friendly.

Oceanseve
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
haha you beat me to it! How did I miss this thread. That's what I get for not being on much

Leanne71
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Well that was definitely shorter than 6 weeks!

My two HHMI dvd's arrived today, have to get home and check them out!

jess97
08-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I received all seven of the items I ordered in one box in less than two weeks from the time I ordered it. I still can't believe it is free!

SecularSweetheart
08-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I ordered from them last year and it was super easy. When I mentioned it to a couple of the other local HSers, they were reluctant to try the site because they felt there must be a 'hidden agenda' with the materials. I never found one...does anyone know of anything remotely negative associated with the HHMI materials?

On the Evolution Constant Change and Common Threads video there is a panel on religion and science. You can watch it on line as well on the HHMI site. I felt someone who would have argued that religion and science are incompatible should have been included in the panel. Just my own thoughts...otherwise I LOVE the educational materials.

JenWrites
08-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info! My sixteen year-old cousin is homeschooling and wants to graduate early and go to nursing school, so these materials will be great for her! And then I can hang onto them for my own kids in a few years. What a great deal!