PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie wondering how I've missed this place until now ....

Lego Wrangler
07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
... and glad to have found it. :)

Shoe
07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the site Lego Wrangler. There are a lot of good people and a lot of good information here. Are you currently homeschooling or thinking about it. and how old are your kids?

Lego Wrangler
07-17-2010, 03:49 PM
We've been homeschooling our only ds (11) from the get-go, mostly unschooling, but have settled on a sort of "Latin-centered unschooling" approach. It seems to be what works best for ds's interests and very unschooly mind and my need for organization. :)

Topsy
07-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Great to have you here, Lego Wrangler!! I LOVE your description of your homeschooling style...it's intriguing, actually. Maybe when you have time, sometime, you could write either a forum or a blog post about what that approach kind of "looks like" on a daily basis. I'm very curious!!

I hope you will enjoy hanging out with us here in SHS-land...we are a fun crew!

InstinctiveMom
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi!
Love you username - we have quite a bit of that here as well.
I'm also diggin' your homeschool style. We have the same kind of issue - a child with a free-spirit mentality and a mama with a high need for organization. Somehow, it works!
Welcome to the site!
~h

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Salve,

We love Latin at our house. :)

I'm totally with you on the "how did I miss this place" thing. I've been homeschooling for years and have been on the web since before there was a web, and yet this place went right under my online radar! I'm very glad to be here now though. :)

Lego Wrangler
07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. :)

Maybe when you have time, sometime, you could write either a forum or a blog post about what that approach kind of "looks like" on a daily basis. I'm very curious!!

Well, given ds's rabbit-trail approach to most things, it looks very different on any given day. ;) We try to do our "core" subjects regularly (Latin, logic, math), just to keep me sane; the rest sort of works itself out as we go along. I tried for the last couple of years to be more structured than that, but it just didn't work, even for me. We both got bored and frustrated and started feeling trapped (you know, that "SCHOOL" feeling). So we're compromising a bit now.

Love you username - we have quite a bit of that here as well.

I practically dream in minifigs at this point.

I'm also diggin' your homeschool style. We have the same kind of issue - a child with a free-spirit mentality and a mama with a high need for organization. Somehow, it works!

Isn't that weird? I don't get it at all, but somehow it works for us, too. Most of the time, anyway. And not always smoothly. But it works.

InstinctiveMom
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
That's one of my main 'gripes' about myself. I LOVE the unschooling mindset. The philosophy, the way it feels in my heart - I just am SO drawn to it. But then there's ME. I'm almost OCD in my need for order and schedules. We've been trying on unschooling in the past few weeks and we're about ready to get back to some sit-down work. {sigh}
I have a feeling that we're going to be constantly revolving between the two. It's working so far, so I'm just along for the ride, lol.