PDA

View Full Version : History woes

momto2Cs
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I cannot, for the life of me, make up my mind about history next year. My kids are 10 (5th grade) and 12 (7th grade).
What we've covered includes ancient history, a couple of times; early modern-modern history through varous books and documentaries; American history through documentaries and some books; state history; some coverage of world cultures (unit studies) several years ago.

rueyn
07-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Maybe ask them what they're interested in, and start there? :)

valerieanne
07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
My experience of history was that I remembered what I was interested in and promptly erased the rest. No worries, letting them obsess over one or two periods of history. I know we are all supposed to be 'well-rounded', but it seems like it's the arrow shaped obsessives that find the most joy in life. If history is their thing, they will naturally want to expand their knowledge, if only to have a better perspective of the period they love most.

jdubbleb
07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
You've got some great ideas! I agree with Valerianne, except my suggestion would be to study culture/religion and allow the kids to follow their interests with various books. We are really behind, so we are starting with ancients this year. I've found some great graphic novels for my 10 year old, and great chapter books for my 7 year old. We will watch some documentaries, do some read alouds, have some discussions, make some recipes, check out some museums, make some videos with their random craft projects from the past, nothing too formal. History should be fun, otherwise it's just plan ole boring (but I didn't have a remote interest in history until the age of about 25ish)!

ScienceGeek
07-22-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm having the same problem. Thought it would be fun to do ancients again, but we're not really coming up with any new material. We really enjoyed some historical fiction on ancient Egypt (Golden Goblet and Mara) so I'm thinking maybe I'l just keep doing that. THen again I'm a science geek and have The Story of Science sitting on the shelf and was thinking about doing the history of science since it would go along well with our chemistry and physics this year.
I agree I didn't enjoy history til I was older as well. I think you have to be an adult to really get some of this stuff and it sure wasn't interesting enough to retain the way they taught it in schools.