PDA

View Full Version : switching to K12

Melyssa
07-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm switching to K12 (except we'll continue using Time4Leaning math) for 6th grade this year. It's a big decision and one I agonized over for weeks. It's a relief to have made a decision though. The boxes are on their way as I type this. I'm actually VERY excited about it all. I also purchased their French program for her.

We've ran the gamut of curriculum the last six years. I've used multiple "all in one" curriculum as well as subject specific curriculum. Some were great, some were terrible, and some were just eh. We used K12 for 2nd grade through a virtual school and although I hated the public school part of it I actually did like the program and my daughter learned TONS that year. I really felt her education was complete and I love how it was organized and on the computer. At that time I didn't want to afford using it independent so we moved on to other things the following year. Now we're in a good place to afford it and so, we are taking the plunge.

I am really hoping this does it all for me and I no longer feel that nagging in the back of my mind that she's missing something somewhere. Honestly after all this time homeschooling I feel a bit burnt out and just tired. I'm weary of obsessing over curriculum and subjects and doing this and doing that, etc etc etc. And it just seems so much more difficult now at a 6th grade level. I am not that confident any more that I can provide all she needs on my own.

I am selling off ALL of our extra curriculum sitting around and just clearing the shelves! It feels good.

Anyone else use K12 as their primary program?

schwartzkari
07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Please keep us updated on how you like K12. I have been considering K12 for my daughter. I have faith in myself to plan her curriculum from now (1st grade) to 5th grade but after that, I think something like K12 might benefit her more than what I can actually plan myself.

Melyssa
07-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, that is pretty much how I see it. I've been pretty confident up until now and haven't worried overly much about things because it's been "easy peasy" stuff to teach and honestly if she's missed something here or there it's just elementary. I'm much more concerned with middle and high school and the path to higher education from this point forward so I don't want to muck up. LOL

Fiddler
07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
K12 intrigues me and if I had one child, not multiple ages and levels, I'd definitely consider it at the top of my list. Looking forward to hearing how you like it--please keep us updated!

momof1gr8girl
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
We've used K12 since we started this adventure almost 5 years ago. We love it especially the history! (Hint: K12 history follows SWB Story of the World so those CDs are nice for trips to and from activities.) I don't love the math and they started a new math program for next year and after glancing at it I'm thinking it's worse. I would be very interested in learning more about the program you use as a substitute.

K12 makes life easier for us all and I feel confident she's learning what she needs to. Hope you have the experience we have had overall.

Melyssa
07-20-2010, 02:38 PM
That is great to know you've liked it all this time. And your opinion of the math really falls in line with other things I've heard and seen about it. We really like Time4Learning math because of the great visual way it's presented. It just works very well for my daughter. If I switch math later we'd use Teaching Textbooks which is a similar approach.

We used K12 for 2nd grade and I could kick myself now for not continuing with it then especially the history which I thought was really great. This year she'll be doing the American history and I'm not sure what to expect with it but generally I hear positive things.

teglene
07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
We are going to start using K12 this year as well. I have 2 boys, ages 8 & 10 (they will be in 4th and 5th grade) I'm a little bit nervous about it! I'm afraid it is going to be TOO structured for us. My kids really like using the workboxes, so I'm eager to get all of the materials and get access to the on-line curriculum/lessons so that I can figure out how I am going to make that work. I recently met a mom who has used it for grades K and 1 with her DD and she also uses it with workboxes and finds she can be flexible (skip over lessons and such), so I'm hopeful it will work for us.

I did read in some of the info that if the kids are within a couple of years of each other that you can combine SS and Science and do one for both kids. I hope to do 5th grade sci & ss with the boys, but I have to wait until I can talk with the teacher later next month.

Melyssa
07-26-2010, 04:16 AM
What are workboxes? I am not familiar with that term. Is it something associated with a virtual school? We are using K12 Independent.

Fiddler
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
The workbox system is a way to lay everything out for your kids' homeschooling day. It's great for visual learners, especially, as they can see what they need to do and what's already been completed. Here are a couple of links:

Sue Patrick's Workbox System (http://www.workboxsystem.com/)

How workboxes look at our house (http://fiddler42.blogspot.com/2009/09/mission-organization-homeschool-edition.html)

The Workbox Blogroll (http://sunflowerschoolhouse.com/workbox-blogroll/)

Melyssa
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the links! We used a modified type of this idea when my girly was much younger. I can see how it would be beneficial for any kid, even for moms to get more organized. I'm not seeing how I can use it with K12 or an online curriculum though. I'm trying to find more info.

Fiddler
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Melyssa, you're right--I don't think workboxes would work with an online curriculum, but I have a friend who uses (I think) OneNote to lay each day's work out for her son.

cantley
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi,

We've used K12 before in a charter school in Arizona. Now we're in Arkansas and after 3 years in the local public school we've had enough and have already started the 2010/2011 school year with K12 independently.

When we used K12 before my girls were in 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th grades. I liked that all the planning was done for me and all I had to do was teach the lessons. In the primary grades, 1-4, I had a very active role as a learning coach. I taught my younger daughter to read with the K12 phonics program. How cool is that. I consider teaching her to read as one of the crowning achievements of my life.

This year my girls are in 6th and 8th grade. They are using K12 by themselves, and I do not spend much time as their learning coach. They check their K12 schedule and do the work assigned for the day. I spend some time in the afternoon to check their work and score their assessments. During their lessons, I am available to answer questions.

I'm debating about doing K12 next year for 9th grade, as the cost goes up significantly. I may just pick up k12's language arts, history and science for next year and use another math product - either Teaching Textbooks or Thinkwell.

I like that K12 has a 30 day, money back guarantee, offers volume and sibling discounts, and is having a back to school 15% off discount right now. I purchased K12 this year so that the end of the 30 day guarantee was a few days after the cutoff for filing my "Intent to Home School" form with our local school district. That way I can be sure K12 is something that my girls will be happy with before I sever our ties with the public school.

I'm glad I found this site. I think we're the only atheist family in my county. We're definitely the black sheep here.

Carol Antley
Proud parent of two freethinkers