PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Armpit

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in what is locally nicknamed the Armpit of Texas. It's called that because if you look at the map, the coast is shaped kinda like an armpit here ;) and lets face it, it's humid and hot enough here to make you think you're living in a giant armpit. But it's a fairly nice place to live and we've enjoyed living by the beach, a new experience for us.

This year will be our 11th year of homeschool. Son will be 16 in the fall and Daughter 13. They've never been to public school, other than Son taking a couple of band classes. We're sorta TWTM, mostly make it up as we go. This last year Son did high school online through Keystone.

Besides homeschool, we're into dancing, anime conventions, Society for Creative Anachronism, camping, and volunteering at the no-kill cat shelter. I love to hoop. Like hula hoop, only with big hoops meant for adults. My daughter likes hooping as well. We picked it up together and she's about 1,000x better than I am. :)

Happy Friday!

Resa

wild_destiny
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Hello, Resa. Welcome aboard!

StartingOver
07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I live in what is locally nicknamed the Armpit of Texas. It's called that because if you look at the map, the coast is shaped kinda like an armpit here ;) and lets face it, it's humid and hot enough here to make you think you're living in a giant armpit. But it's a fairly nice place to live and we've enjoyed living by the beach, a new experience for us.

Gosh !! Am I glad that I live across the bridge from the arm pit !!! ( South Texas is miserable, but never thought of it that way hehe. )

Theresa lives across the bridge in the big city.

This year will be our 11th year of homeschool. Son will be 16 in the fall and Daughter 13. They've never been to public school, other than Son taking a couple of band classes. We're sorta TWTM, mostly make it up as we go. This last year Son did high school online through Keystone.

Besides homeschool, we're into dancing, anime conventions, Society for Creative Anachronism, camping, and volunteering at the no-kill cat shelter. I love to hoop. Like hula hoop, only with big hoops meant for adults. My daughter likes hooping as well. We picked it up together and she's about 1,000x better than I am. :)

Happy Friday!

Resa

Happy Friday to you too ! I hope your weekend isn't to hot, and filled with adventure. Glad you found us.

Shoe
07-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of great people here.

Sarbare0704
07-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Welcome tothe group! I look forward to hearing your input! We are new to homeschooling.

schwartzkari
07-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the group! I live in DFW, so I know all about the Texas heat, lol. :)

pandahoneybee
07-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome to the group;) My sister's family lives in TX! right now they are stationed at San Antonio but were in Del Rio for over 14 years!
This is a great group, i love all the great advice and chats we have up here, hope that you will too;)

Topsy
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Uh-oh, Resa...you realize that you are forever going to be known around these parts as the armpit-lady, right??? ;) LOL Thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourself...we are delighted to have you hang out with us. We have a Hoop-Group here in our area and they perform together on Sat. nights in the park in the summertime. It's so much fun to watch!

Hope you will drop in often!!

InstinctiveMom
07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi Resa! I'm in Beaumont :)

Fiddler
07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
A dear friend just relocated to The Woodlands, TX--is that anywhere near you all? She's not a secular hser, but I love her anyway!

InstinctiveMom
07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
That's a couple hours from me; in the Houston area.

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
A dear friend just relocated to The Woodlands, TX--is that anywhere near you all? She's not a secular hser, but I love her anyway!

That's up north of Houston, I think. We're about 5 hours SW of Houston.

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Heh. There's a new online handle: Armpit Lady. But I think maybe I'll pass because it sounds a little like a fetish thing. :P

I hoop mainly for fun, though we did sell a bunch of hoops at a local RenFaire last year. It was fun convincing the faire goers to give the hoops a spin and I managed to not kill myself hooping in RenFaire dress.