PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling and Adoption

odiakkoh
07-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Hope this is in the right section since it is an issue related to homeschooling.

Is anyone on the forum an adoptive or foster parent? Were you homeschooling or planning on homeschooling at the time of adoption/fostering? With how distorted the homeschool image is to the general public, I wonder how hard it is to find an agency or even a birth mother who would be open to the idea of adopting their child out to a homeschooling family.

MamaB2C
07-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I am an adoptive parent, and I was not planning on homeschooling at the time of the adoption. It didn't occur to me until a few years later.

That being said, I don't remember education really coming up at all other than the basic "you must educate all children" kind of thing, though our lack of religious beliefs and church membership was an area of concern with the homestudy.

Homeschooling is becoming so mainstream I doubt you will find it problematic.

Melyssa
07-17-2010, 02:55 AM
I know three different homeschool families that have adopted including well after they were already homeschooling other children in the family so I would guess it's not a problem.

DDuckie
07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
We've adopted all of our children, but we weren't planning on homeschooling at the time any of them took place. When we decided to HS, our middle two had been with us less than 2 years and had been adopted less than 1 year. We mentioned it to their old (state) caseworker who was overjoyed, so I don't think they would have had a problem with it.

In fact, only our youngest's birthmother has had some reluctance in accepting it. She's just 21 but still has some of the preconceived notions. I think she's coming around after our last visit and she saw how well the boys all got along and enjoyed being with each other.

MamaB2C
07-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, DS's birthmom was concerned when I first mentioned it to her, based on her own negative experiences (crazy religious group homeschool co-op when she was a kid), but she has listened carefully to my reasoning and is very supportive now.

CyndiLJ
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
All 5 of our kids are adopted internationally, and we made the decision to homeschool prior to adopting our 4th and 5th this year. In court it was an issue but we overcame it with logical, well thought out responses.

For our older adopted children there is no way we would have become as close this fast if it hadn't been for homeschooling. The single best decision we have ever made for our entire family was to move to HSing!

MamaB2C
07-23-2010, 09:46 AM
One of my fave blogs is by an adoptive homeschooling mom/writer

http://www.thiswomanswork.com/

dbmamaz
07-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I love a blog by an adoptive homeschool mom too, but hers is focussed on radical attachment therapy: http://christinemoers.blogspot.com/ Also, a freind of mine in PA said they could not homeschool foster kids, but I assume that is a state law?

MamaB2C
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Foster kids are technically wards of the state, and so foster parents are more like guardians rather than legal parents (in the legal sense only, they are parents in every other sense in my opinion). Anyway, I assume most states require foster kids to be in a school for various reasons; to help maintain consistency between multiple foster homes, for example, and to allow them to easily monitor progress, etc.

I believe my state, and maybe others, will make exceptions depending on circumstance.

Once adopted, however, you are the legal parent(s), and so any rules or regulations are the same as for biological children.

lovemylife
07-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I am an adoptive parent. We have four kids. My oldest, Aidan, is the child I am formally homeschooling but he is not adopted (he is from my first marriage though!) He is being homeschooled as his gifted IPP wasn't adhered to last year. He has been somewhat shortchanged in the attention department at school, and at home too. He is very excited to start homeschooling, and spend more time with Mom :)

My twin daughters (bio) start half day kindergarten in September, the other half of the day they will be homeschooled with Aidan. I may or may not continue to homeschool the girls for Grade 1+, but it may end up that I am because they will likely have greater school skills than their peer group (and may not fit in later on?)

Our youngest, Mitchell, is 3.5 yrs old and is the child we adopted (@ 10 months old). He has one year of pre-school under his belt, and will be attending pre-school next year for three afternoons/week with an aide. He will also have an aide at home 2 mornings/week. He will be homeschooled on Fridays with his siblings. I can honestly say that until his special needs have been addressed and we see major improvement with:
1) speech-language 2)socially acceptable behaviour; and 3)sensory integration issues, he will not be homeschooled full time. However, we will perpetually need an IPP for him (aka IEP -Individualized Education Plan) and he also requires COPIOUS amounts of physical activity. For those reasons, I will be eager to homeschool him later on, perhaps starting in Grade 2 (2014). DH and I desperately want him to experience success, and if that means homeschooling for him, it shall be done :)

Parenting a special needs child is a crash course in child advocacy!