PDA

View Full Version : Natural recipes for everyday products

Deli76
06-22-2013, 12:00 AM
This isnt exactly about food or drink recipes, but about natural ingredients for cleaning. This is something I have always been interested in. I am familiar with borax for laundry ( but it doesnt clean as thorough as laundry soap), vinegar for windows and rinsing in the dishwasher, using aluminum foil to get the stuck on food from the kids cooking off the pans. Feel free to share tips and tricks and natural recipes for cleaning just about anything.

murphs_mom
06-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Baking soda + vinegar followed by boiling water to clean drains (never, ever put fat of any sort in a drain), add baking soda to the laundry to reduce odor & boost cleaning of detergent, baking soda can be used for lots of cleaning. I like to use the ones that have been sitting in the fridge/freezer absorbing odor when cleaning. It gives a single box dual purpose. The stuff is pretty darn cheap, too.

Rotemsmith
06-22-2013, 02:25 AM
I have always wondered how can i get stains off my white t shirt.there is some enmity going between me wearing white clothes and stains..i just attract them..so is there any way of getting rid of the stains on my white garments without much hassle of washing and drying and than again washing..i am just so tired of this..

Leanne71
06-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Micro fibre clothes for everything! They get off grease in the kitchen and are fantastic for the shower, I keep one in our shower stall and just a quick wipe after the evening wash keeps the nasties at bay! No chemical needed.

I was given 2 books a few years ago which have been invaluable! Bicarbonate of Soda by Star Fire Press and Vinegar by Star Fire Press.

Love my white t-shirts too! I soak them once a month in Nappy Soaker ( Napisan, Sards ). I also do a pre wash with my whites with the same stuff, come up beautiful, I try and dry my whites on the clothes line in the sun, not always an option though.

jenpenny5297
06-22-2013, 06:50 AM
I use soap nuts for laundry and you can actually use them for a quadrillion other things as well. I am of course being silly but you can use them for many different cleaners and purposes. Plus they are compostable. I love the site Crunchy Betty and Frugally Sustainable for recipes for cleaners and all things natural. I make most of my own cleaners except for dish liquid as the homemade really didn't do the best job. I do however use an all natural cleaner for that. I think that recently on Frugally Sustainable she posted about a homemade stain stick which would help with stains on whites. ;)

MrsLOLcat
06-22-2013, 11:27 AM
2 c. water + 1-2 tsp. tea tree essential oil (many other will work, but I find that tea tree works best for me) will clean EVERYTHING and has antibacterial qualities. You can also add a little castile soap if there are greasy surfaces involved. I use the tea tree recipe for my bathroom, but for my kitchen I use lemon essential oil and add the castile soap.

Oh, and don't forget about making your own laundry detergent. :)