PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Free

JinxieFox
06-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, since I have gone dairy free for Rowan's sake (*sigh* - yes, me, the ice cream addict), I figured I'd start a thread where people can share tips, ideas, websites, recipes, etc. on that particular dietary topic.

Anyway, I tried coconut milk ice cream today, but - blech! It tastes too much like coconut, and not enough like chocolate. However, for those of you who love coconut flavor, I'm sure you'd really enjoy the ice cream. :)

For now, I'm popping Golden Oreos like a crazy lady. I used to not be a fan of any sort of Oreo, but now I'm learning to love this dairy-free goodness.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Soy Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

Just sayin'.

melissa
06-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I had to go dairy free for my own tummy's sake. I now guzzle almond milk like it's going out of style! I can't have soy either, so I think ice cream is out of the question for me:(

Mslksdh
06-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Well, since I have gone dairy free for Rowan's sake (*sigh* - yes, me, the ice cream addict), I figured I'd start a thread where people can share tips, ideas, websites, recipes, etc. on that particular dietary topic.

Anyway, I tried coconut milk ice cream today, but - blech! It tastes too much like coconut, and not enough like chocolate. However, for those of you who love coconut flavor, I'm sure you'd really enjoy the ice cream. :)

For now, I'm popping Golden Oreos like a crazy lady. I used to not be a fan of any sort of Oreo, but now I'm learning to love this dairy-free goodness.

Have you already tried the almond milk ice cream and the rice milk ice cream?

RTB
06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
I really limit dairy and soy, both are bad new for me. I agree with the Almond milk. If you can do soy - the Cutie mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches are good.

JinxieFox
06-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Have you already tried the almond milk ice cream and the rice milk ice cream?

Not yet - taking it one ice cream substitute at a time. Those are next!

Appreciate the tips on the other ones, AMM and Rebecca. Ice cream is the most difficult thing for me to give up. Reading labels is kind of disheartening - so much dairy in everything!

Oceanseve
06-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Almond milk ice cream YUM!

I have a pretty good milk free bread recipe 6 Monkeys in the Country: My Go To Bread Recipe (http://6monkeysinthecountry.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-go-to-bread-recipe.html)

dbmamaz
06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
i have only ever had tofutti, but i liked it - the rest all have ingredients i cant have. Just try a variety, you'll find something you like.

I find most recipes are very easy to do just subbing a milk sub - soy is the easiest, taste-wise. Coconut milk (the canned kind) is the best cream sub, or the soy milk creamers you can buy.

there is no sub for cheese. dont bother trying. its not worth it.

dbmamaz
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
oh, and most margarine have dairy. earth balance - usually in the health food section - is the safest.

snowpeople5
06-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I have nothing useful to add, but since my life would not be the same without cheese - just wanted to send you many hugs and tell you to stay strong and this sucks!!!

iris0110
06-19-2013, 12:59 AM
We are dairy free (well dh still eats it when he isn't home and Kearnan has some butter on his waffles sometimes) and I am gluten and mostly egg free. Meal planning gets tricky at our house. I actually like Diaya for cheese replacer. It is soy free, gluten free and actually dairy free. Most cheese replacers have dairy in them (whey and casein which means they still make my youngest sick). My youngest can actually have as much goat's milk products as he wants, it is only casein he can't tolerate but I'm still not 100% if I can have it or not so I am going easy.

I make home made ice cream with coconut milk. The kind you drink is not nearly as strong as the canned kind, to me it doesn't taste like coconut but I like coconut so I probably don't notice it as much either. I cook with coconut oil or olive oil (usually coconut oil for baking, olive oil for savory dishes). Almond, hemp and rice milks are all options but to me rice milk tastes like rice (I've found hazelnut milk as well but it gets $$$).

I love this website for recipe ideas, particularly for desserts. Healthy Dessert Recipes - Chocolate-Covered Katie (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipes/) It was hard for the boys making the vegan switch (they do still get eggs sometimes and can have meat if we are eating out which is pretty rare but I don't cook meat at all now), being able to make great tasting deserts that fit within our new diet guidelines has made things easier for them.

popsicle1010
06-19-2013, 04:54 AM
Some of the fruit sorbets are really delicious. The Haagen Dazs sorbets are non-dairy and really creamy!

You're a good mama for doing what your baby needs!

bibiche
06-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I recommend an ice cream maker (I have an inexpensive cuisinart that suits my purposes, but DS says that LL Bean's ice cream ball is more fun) and a good recipe for chocolate sorbet. Or any sorbet, for that matter, since they are dairy-free.

jenblackwell2
06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
We are dairy free by choice. Of course DH still makes grilled cheese when mommy isn't home. I have mixed up lots of yummy frozen treats in the blender using frozen bananas, cocoa, and maple syrup. I would look up vegan ice cream for some recipe ideas. If you have a good blender things should whip up quickly.

jsaffold
06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
there is no sub for cheese. dont bother trying. its not worth it.

That is the truth!

trulycrabby
06-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Do you drink coffee? If so, and you use creamer, I recommend So Delicious coconut milk creamer, the French Vanilla flavor. I HATE coconut milk, but this is yummy.

My condolences at giving up dairy and especially ice cream, I positivrly mourned when I had to tempoarily give up dairy products a few years ago, but felt much better once I got through the acute withdrawal phase. :)

jess
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Which brand coconut ice cream? Coconut Bliss tastes one the hippie side. So Delicious I recall being more traditional-tasting, but I've been using coconut milk for so long that I could be wrong about that.

I like Tofutti as well.

Sometimes it varies by flavor. Some of the Rice Dream flavors are yummy, some aren't. I imagine the same is true of coconut - some flavors are going to blend better with coconut than others.

I agree about the ice cream maker - we get tons of use out of ours.

Avalon
06-20-2013, 02:15 AM
I had to go dairy-free while nursing my first baby. Two years without pizza was the most difficult thing at the time, but that was before I became addicted to coffee with real cream every morning. I did it again when my second was born, but I realized a few months in that he didn't have the same issue, so I got to eat all the pizza I wanted!

I have tried the Daiya on the advice of a friend who raved about it, and I found it truly revolting. It must be one of those love it or hate it things. I actually didn't mind some of the soy-based cheese.

dbmamaz
06-20-2013, 10:07 AM
i can handle vegan gourmet in very small quantities, but it has one ingredient i cant have, whereas the daiya has 4 ingredients i cant have. i was seriously in to cheese . . . my husband and I went cheese-tasting to select cheeses to serve at the wedding .. . our favorite fancy date night was to a fondue place .. . cheese was my absolute favorite food my entire life. Its easier to do without than to try to swallow most of the subs. and for Raven, goat cheese made him even sicker than dairy, so I decided not to bother trying.

i swear i will try soon - what scares me the most is that I always preferred raw milk cheese - but its getting harder and harder to find, thanks to the power-hungry and corrupt food and drug people

laundrycrisis
06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
We were dairy free for four years due to a casein allergy in the house. Products I depended on: Silk yogurt. Earth Balance margarine. Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Tofutti slices, and their sour cream and cream cheese replacements. We were not soy free. I used soy as needed.

dbmamaz
06-21-2013, 09:33 AM
there is only one Earth Balance variety that does not have canola, and no one near me carries it. I have started making 'vegan butter' from coconut oil and soy milk. sigh.

and i'm pretty sure Raven has problems with soy. I'm trying to cut it way back, but he wont eat tacos without Vegan Gourmet's soy cheese. I think i have to give up on mac-n-cheese again because using the daiya block cheese was a failure.

we do use the soy cream cheese and sour cream, as well . . . .omg, the sour cream coffee cake! we sometimes buy various yogurts but if you buy it too often (as dh did), the boys get sick of them. my zucchini muffins call for yogurt, tho, so that works out

iris0110
06-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Have you tried making mac and cheese with nutritional yeast instead of alternative cheese? I have not tried it, when I made it last I used diaya but I understand some people like it. We use nutritional yeast on salads and popcorn.

Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/06/creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/)

I used this recipe with the daiya in it. The boys loved it. In Tharen's words "It BLEW my MIND!" He is a bit over the top right now.

She has this recipe too though, and no cheese in it. I can't say how it tastes as I haven't tried it.

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/09/vegan-macaroni-and-cheese/)

We have been very pleased with her other recipes. However if you are avoiding nuts it is probably a no go.