PDA

View Full Version : What to use after Singapore Primary Math 6B?

GThomas
06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
My dd (a rising 7th grader) has finished Singapore Math's Primary Math 6B (CA standards). I am trying to decide what we will use for next school year and hoping to get some advice from those of you who have already been through this. If you have, can you tell me:

- If you continued with Singapore Math, did you use Discovering Mathematics or New Elementary Math? Where you happy with that decision and why?

- If you decided to switch to a different curriculum, what did you use? And where you happy with that decision and why?

My daughter does not love math. Saxon was too boring for her and required more work than she is willing to muster up the strength for. I did use Math-U-See at the beginning of the year to catch her up and she enjoyed it. But once caught up, we switched to Singapore Math and that seemed to work even better for her.

Thank you, thank you!!

dbmamaz
06-16-2013, 10:39 PM
i used Singapore's New Syllabus math, but it was discontinued, and we switched to Discovering Math - i actually like DM pretty well. However, there is not a ton of explanations - i remember all my high school math, so its not been a problem.

Some people switch to a video based program, like Teaching Textbooks or one of the ones available through the Homeschool Buyers Coop.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-17-2013, 08:23 AM
I haven't used it yet (my son just finished 5B), but we're planning to use Discovering Mathematics. My son does very well with Singapore and likes the format.

There have been many threads on the Well Trained Mind forums about this topic. I found it helpful to read them for opinions about Singapore Math for middle grades and learn about other programs.

GThomas
06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi, is DM set up similar to their elementary program where there is a teaching textbook and then independent workbook? That worked well for us although we still frequently do the workbook together (dd has mild adhd so I do have to stay involved with her with her work). I do need instruction though! YouTube has been my friend for the past few years now :-)

i used Singapore's New Syllabus math, but it was discontinued, and we switched to Discovering Math - i actually like DM pretty well. However, there is not a ton of explanations - i remember all my high school math, so its not been a problem.

Some people switch to a video based program, like Teaching Textbooks or one of the ones available through the Homeschool Buyers Coop.

GThomas
06-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I tried to search on Well Trained Minds but didn't specifically look for singapore in middle school. i will do that. Thanks!

dbmamaz
06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
hmm, i guess i'm not entirely sure - they are in the process of updating them, and i only used the older series. it looks like there is a textbook with answers in the back, a teachers guide with fully worked out solutions, and a book with extra problems. We only used the textbook and we worked it through together - my son is really slow with math and has a short attention span, so we only did about 1/3 of the problems in the textbook. we did review algebra 1 with Life of Fred, though, and I expect him to go back a level at community college - he's not an incredibly mathy kid either.

behan
06-24-2013, 04:57 AM
We waited around for Singapore Math's new publications, but got tired of waiting, and migrated our son to The Art of Problem Solving's math curriculum. It feels like a good transition from Singapore- I'm pleased, I'm not sure we'll go back when they do finally get them out!

Here's the introduction to Algebra: Introduction to Algebra (http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/viewitem.php?item=intro:algebra)

all the best, Behan

kimgoldman
07-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Thinkwell Algebra - cannot say enough good things about this program!

bcnlvr
07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
We narrowed it down to Foerster Alg1 and DM. Ds chose Foerster (with Math Without Borders dvd class). We start Aug 5th, so I'll update when we are in it.

bcn