PDA

View Full Version : Share first day of school fun ideas

RTB
06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
We are planning on starting our 2013-2014 school year in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to add to our first day of school fun activities (currently a silly sting fight, supplies and treats in a Schultute, and donuts for breakfast).

What are you first day of school traditions?

dbmamaz
06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
i dont have any, but i'm really curious what a schultute is

murphs_mom
06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Ah, the power of Google, Cara :):

Schultüte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schult%C3%BCte)

bibiche
06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
And even a tute on how to make one :) :
Make a Schultüte for Your Child’s First School Year | Alphamom (http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/make-a-schultute-for-your-childs-first-school-year/)

ItoLina
06-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Lest year a took a picture of my son holding a sign that said "Kindergarten". I am planning to do it every year so I can have pics of how he looked on the first day of school. This year am also thinking of wrapping some of the new fun books for the school year so he can open them and get excited about them.

farrarwilliams
06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
We did one of those German cones one year and it was fun.

The last couple of years, I basically just make it a "box day." I save up all the various new books and then add in a learning game and some school supplies and they get to open it up and play around with it.

One family I know does fun field trips on their first day. And another family I know spends the first day of public school in their pajamas watching TV all morning - sort of as a thumbing your nose at the ps kids. I think that's funny.

valerieanne
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I let dd design her own self-portrait session. It ended up looking like a really, really tacky coming out party. Lots of rainbow and glam. We are definitely doing that again.

jsaffold
06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
We are planning on starting our 2013-2014 school year in a couple of weeks. I'm looking to add to our first day of school fun activities (currently a silly sting fight, supplies and treats in a Schultute, and donuts for breakfast).

What are you first day of school traditions?
Schultute!! Yes!!
You are the first person I've come across that does that! I have been doing them for my kids every year. when they were in PS they would be waiting for them when they got home the first day of school, hanging in the tree in our front yard. I still plan on doing them this year, they love them.

JenRay
06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
We also did a box day a day before we started - to get excited and load the new stuff into our shelves. We did pictures with a chalkboard with her grade too. I got each kid a few school supplies and a new shirt, and hid them. Then I did a little scavenger hunt with clues for them to find it. That was fun. I plan to do similar this year.

RTB
06-15-2013, 05:07 PM
1803 These were our Schultute from last year. They loved them. Last year on the first day of PS we drove by the school, honked and waved on our way to a fun 'not back to school' day. I'm pretty sure it mortified my son though! lol! Thanks for the ideas!

RTB
06-15-2013, 05:11 PM
I let dd design her own self-portrait session. It ended up looking like a really, really tacky coming out party. Lots of rainbow and glam. We are definitely doing that again.
That is hysterical - I bet she loved it!

quabbin
06-15-2013, 06:15 PM
I took DS's picture on the front porch with a first day of ________ sign in his hands. Then I interviewed him (and recorded to compare from year to year) about what he likes:

What is your favorite book?
What food do you like to eat?
What do you like to do for fun?
What do you want to be when you grow up?
What is your favorite song?

melissa
06-15-2013, 07:34 PM
How cute, Rebecca! I'll have to try that this year:)

RTB
06-15-2013, 09:39 PM
I took DS's picture on the front porch with a first day of ________ sign in his hands. Then I interviewed him (and recorded to compare from year to year) about what he likes:

What is your favorite book?
What food do you like to eat?
What do you like to do for fun?
What do you want to be when you grow up?
What is your favorite song?
I love this idea!

crunchynerd
06-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm interested in this thread because I never know what to do, or whether to do something, about "first day of school" because heretofore, we didn't see any need to align our lives with the public school calendar or its year beginnings or endings. But now that DD is getting older, and I saw an advantage in pulling back this summer to get house things done, reorganize, and actually design a curriculum and have a lesson plan this year, maybe we will. We always wanted to do a Not Back to School, or Back to Homeschool or Back to Unschool sort of day in public with other school-free kids but not much in our area, and the only big ones are Creationist type groups.

But if we're going to adopt the September-through-May idea, then a ritual for beginnings and endings sounds like an idea.

Mslksdh
06-17-2013, 06:47 PM
We do an "All About Me" poster. He also gets to change out his old ID card for his new one.

Twinsmomma27
06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Since this will be our first year homeschooling we are already planning a trip to do something fun on the first day of public school. I have always taken a picture of my kids on the porch for the first day of school and I still plan on doing that for this year :)

RTB
06-17-2013, 11:31 PM
We do an "All About Me" poster. He also gets to change out his old ID card for his new one.

Cute! What do you put on the poster? Do you guide, or do you just let them go for it?

Mslksdh
06-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Cute! What do you put on the poster? Do you guide, or do you just let them go for it?

Last year and the year before I had questions like favorite food, color, animal and what he wanted to learn about. He answered, mostly by drawing or choosing pictures. This year I will probably just let have him at it.

BakedAk
06-20-2013, 05:03 PM
These are wonderful ideas...might get Boy excited about "school" and Girl excited about "home." :)

CrazyCatWoman
06-27-2013, 10:51 PM
We do the photos with the grade they are in. I usually have them make their own, but last year youngest had a meltdown. We tend to start the day with pancakes, something that is unusual for a weekday. One year we did chocolate chip pancakes, but we all agreed that that was nasty and no something we needed to repeat.

jsaffold
06-28-2013, 07:00 PM
This year everything is "new" dd is homeschooling full time, ds is attending his new faboulous Montesorri school.
But our tradition of each child getting their Schultute and picture taken holding them will still be for 1at day.
August 1st will be dd 1st day of homeschholing giving us about a month to ease in to it and deschool, review and acess, and plan.
Then on ds 1st day of school we will do the Schultute's and pics. drop off ds at school and dd and I will do a field trip of her choosing:)

RTB
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
We baked some peanut butter jelly muffins today as part of our first day back, as an ode to the traditional public school packed lunch sandwich of choice. They were really tasty. Peanut Butter And Jelly Muffins Recipe - Food.com - 53853 (http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-butter-and-jelly-muffins-53853)

sdvelochick
08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Thought Id revive this thread since school is starting in the next few weeks for most who haven't already started :)

I let ds chose something fun for breakfast. This morning he chose German pancake. Beyond breakfast we don't do much. We did enjoy a last hurrah at Legoland yesterday which I think will become a tradition :).

OldFarmer
08-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Rebecca, the muffins sound yummy.

My first day fun sounds so lame! We went out for afternoon coffee! Dd felt she still "owed" me a promised afternoon birthday coffee, and the kids had TKD in the afternoon, so we left the house early and had coffee at a cafe downtown before hitting the Y for their final summer TKD class.

Avalon
08-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Our local homeschool support group has an annual "Not-Back-to-School Picnic" at a local park. It is a MAJOR special event on our calendar because lots of people show up and it's a fabulous opportunity to reconnect with a lot of people we haven't seen in a while. We usually start doing some school work in August, but the Not-Back-to-School Picnic is kind of the official, emotional beginning. Also, for the first couple of years of homeschooling, it felt very strange and awkward to be sitting at home when everyone we knew was having a "very important day" heading off to school, so having this special party on the calendar was a great help.

RTB
09-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree Avalon - I think we have to mark it - life just kinda goes one for us homeschoolers otherwise. Which is a good thing, but still fun to mark the change of the year.