PDA

View Full Version : School's out for summer!

Mum
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Yesterday was our last day til September.

What do y'all do to celebrate breaks?

I list the subjects he we need to cover each day on a little chalkboard.

Here's how it looks this morning.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice schedule! Our last day will hopefully be next Wednesday, 6/19. If the weather cooperates, I hope we'll have a picnic and play at the beach at Walden Pond. If not, stay home and bake cupcakes. :)

My kids' agendas will include playing with Legos, renting movies from the library, playing in the back yard, staying up until 9:00pm reading in bed, biking and scooting with friends, hiking with Dad, and eating ice cream as often as possible.

hockeymom
06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Great schedule!

Our summer break is a few weeks in, and DS is so bored (and it's so cold) that we've decided to start doing some school work--mostly stuff we don't get to a lot during the regular year. Spelling is at the top of the list, along with art (study an artist and then try to incorporate their style into an original work--lots of fun with Picasso!) and of course science, science and more science. Too much free time just doesn't work around here. :( I envy those of you with kids who can just PLAY!

dbmamaz
06-12-2013, 03:26 PM
friday is our last day, and its also martial arts testing for Raven in the evening. then we take 2 weeks off. there will still be dog walking and required dr who episode with mom daily, and also there will be house cleaning. we start back to school 2 weeks later, with no history, lighter LA for Raven, and the science is all experimental. and hopefully river every monday and video game group every other friday.

i dont really do celebrations tho . . . they are perfectly happy to just be left all alone at their computers for 2 weeks straight without the distraction of a celebration

Mum
06-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Great schedule!

Our summer break is a few weeks in, and DS is so bored (and it's so cold) that we've decided to start doing some school work--mostly stuff we don't get to a lot during the regular year. Spelling is at the top of the list, along with art (study an artist and then try to incorporate their style into an original work--lots of fun with Picasso!) and of course science, science and more science. Too much free time just doesn't work around here. :( I envy those of you with kids who can just PLAY!

I hear you, sister. This schedule is only up for the rest of the week.
Next Monday he has to read and do a little Math every day. This kid doesn't do well without structure either.

valerieanne
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Last Friday was our last day. We had ice cream cake. With ice cream on the side. We packed up the classroom, except for a few citizen science projects and 4H.

Dd's daily list is, give all living things in our care the things they need to continue living. Then, have breakfast and do as you wish.

Paula
06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
On our last day, I surprise-bombed Aidyn and his friends with a water balloon, unleashed my arsenal of 30 water balloons divided into two laundry baskets, and let them have at it.

Aidyn's been celebrating every day by playing outside all darn day, swimming in the pool and staying up way too late. I drag him and his friends to the occasional library show, but it's free-flying fun all summer long! : )

Twinsmomma27
06-12-2013, 11:01 PM
My kids are in a private school right now and we are counting down till the end of the school year. (Their last day is next Thursday) We are already talking about projects for next year and I am getting books and lessons ready for the fall. I plan on taking them out to lunch for the last day to celebrate!!

crunchynerd
06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
impressive signage, that! And really, you could do signage for real, with that manuscript.

crunchynerd
06-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Great schedule!

If it's any comfort, my kids can, and will, just PLAY, but the problem is that my 5 yo DS's idea of playing recently involved launching bamboo skewers through a spring-loaded toy car thing that made them extremely dangerous missiles (had to put a stop to that!) and then swinging a rice sock hitched to a bungee cord in circles round his head and using that as a sort of mace. Idle hands are really and truly, the Devil's playthings, when it comes to a boy. He's been playing with dolls lately though: making them climb tables and engage in espionage, and perform hideous stunts. Ugh. That kid needs martial arts in the worst way. Or else to be apprenticed off to a tradesman, but he's a few years too young for that yet, at 5.

The 2-year old comes up with his own entertainments, too, but it involves pouring out an entire bottle of glitter glue onto hardwood flooring, using scissors to see if he can re-design the lined silk draperies, or his all-time favorite, seeing how much more satisfying painting is, when applied to anything but paper.

My daughter, bless her heart, just wants to be able to do some beading, painting, or birding, in peace.

My kids can play, though, and I am stretching my boundaries for spiritual growth, going through a moratorium on screens today. We had no screens. Not computer, not Roku. And the boys do find ways to play, that will have me gray in a month.

melissa
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
impressive signage, that! And really, you could do signage for real, with that manuscript.

That's what I was thinking!;)

Mum
06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
If it's any comfort, my kids can, and will, just PLAY, but the problem is that my 5 yo DS's idea of playing recently involved launching bamboo skewers through a spring-loaded toy car thing that made them extremely dangerous missiles (had to put a stop to that!) and then swinging a rice sock hitched to a bungee cord in circles round his head and using that as a sort of mace. Idle hands are really and truly, the Devil's playthings, when it comes to a boy. He's been playing with dolls lately though: making them climb tables and engage in espionage, and perform hideous stunts. Ugh. That kid needs martial arts in the worst way. Or else to be apprenticed off to a tradesman, but he's a few years too young for that yet, at 5.

The 2-year old comes up with his own entertainments, too, but it involves pouring out an entire bottle of glitter glue onto hardwood flooring, using scissors to see if he can re-design the lined silk draperies, or his all-time favorite, seeing how much more satisfying painting is, when applied to anything but paper.

My daughter, bless her heart, just wants to be able to do some beading, painting, or birding, in peace.

My kids can play, though, and I am stretching my boundaries for spiritual growth, going through a moratorium on screens today. We had no screens. Not computer, not Roku. And the boys do find ways to play, that will have me gray in a month.

Your 5 yo sounds awesome.

BakedAk
06-14-2013, 07:10 PM
1. I want to be a kid living at Paula's or Mum's.
2. My Boy would fit in well at Crunchynerd's place.
3. By mid-July, my summer will involve lots and lots of happy-dancing, as I am quitting my job. "And there was much rejoicing." :_applaud:

Rotemsmith
06-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for posting that schedule..i went on a trip along the country side for a run with my family and i think it went just great..we had a lots and lots of fun.