PDA

View Full Version : Okonomiyaki

bibiche
06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
This is one of DS's favorite things to eat.

You'll need two ingredients you might not have in your pantry: okonomi sauce and bonito flakes. Everything else is basic. I can't remember where I got the recipe. There are lots floating around. But here it is:

1 C flour
2/3 C water
mix these together

2 eggs
add these to mix

4 C cabbage either finely sliced or chopped
2 scallions, finely sliced
add this to mixture

You can add whatever else you like - shrimp, bacon, other vegetables, seaweed flakes, whatever you have.

Pour into a hot oiled pan or griddle and cook for around 3 minutes (Push down mixture so it is about 1/2 inch thick). Turn and cook a few minutes more. Flip one more time and cook a few minutes more.

Flip out onto a plate and drizzle with mayonnaise (my Japanese friends all use Kewpie brand, but I just make my own 'cause I am cheap), Okonomi sauce, and sprinkle with a generous amount of bonito flakes (this is DS's favorite part because the bonito flakes writhe in the heat as if they are alive). Eat.

This is basically just a big pancake, I guess, but there is something about the combination of flavors that is so satisfying.
You can also buy okonomiyaki flour, but IME the cost is not worth it. This is just one very simple recipe. Google for lots more.

Stella M
06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Yum! Adding this to my list of new stuff to try.

KittyP
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I love okonomiyaki, but Kiddo and Hubster are not fans. :( Whenever I do make them I add shrimp (the ultimate bane), bacon, wasabi or horseradish and slather it in Kewpie mayonnaise. The best part is they freeze beautifully, so I can make a batch and savor it for a few weeks.

bibiche
06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
I love okonomiyaki, but Kiddo and Hubster are not fans. :( Whenever I do make them I add shrimp (the ultimate bane), bacon, wasabi or horseradish and slather it in Kewpie mayonnaise. The best part is they freeze beautifully, so I can make a batch and savor it for a few weeks.
Huh, I never thought of freezing them. Well, there has never been any left over, but still, good to know. Thanks.

MrsJadeDragon
06-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Mmm, okonomiyaki. It's a favorite among my crowd of friends -- we regularly have okonomiyaki parties. (Just had one this weekend!) I mix up a huge batch of batter and provide the toppings while everyone is supposed to bring mix ins and toppings. :) It's great fun and a nice way to feed a crowd potluck/buffet/budget style. My favorite combo is to add some chopped kimchi to the batter with shrimps, cheese and top it with bacon. :)

The ready made okonomiyaki mix is expensive but has Japanese mountain yam (yamaimo, sometimes also labeled nagaimo) which makes a huge difference in the final product's texture. When I first made okonomiyaki, I made it with just the flour/egg/water is tasty but in me experience, which can fall sort of flat while the grated yamaimo gives it the perfect consistency. You can get powdered yamaimo at Japanese markets. I've gotten fresh at my standard Asian market; if you can find it, it is WELL worth the price if you love okonomiyaki. For $4 worth of yamaimo, I was able to feed 10 hungry okonomiyaki loving folks (some had seconds) with leftovers for another two large okonomiyaki.

bibiche
06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree that grated yamaimo makes a difference. I've never tried the dried, I didn't even know it existed. ;). I still say no to the ready made mix though as it has a taste that I dislike, probably bleached flour.

I found this while poking around the Internet. Certainly more complicated, but there are visuals:
Okonomiyaki, Osaka style | Just Hungry (http://justhungry.com/okonomiyaki-osaka-style)

Sionnon
06-16-2013, 03:28 PM
We make these occasionally, though I don't use egg because of allergies. You can add just about anything you want to them. Yum!

Pefa
06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
OK this is definitely going on the list. Thank you

Rotemsmith
06-18-2013, 01:55 AM
That is a great recipe you got out there...it looks quite delicious and easy to prepare..i have a question though..what brand of mayonnaise will be great for me. I haven't had much luck in purchasing a good mayonnaise so i really need some advice on this..

KittyP
06-18-2013, 09:22 PM
That is a great recipe you got out there...it looks quite delicious and easy to prepare..i have a question though..what brand of mayonnaise will be great for me. I haven't had much luck in purchasing a good mayonnaise so i really need some advice on this..

Kewpie (http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Kewpie-Mayonnaise-17-64-oz/dp/B0000WKU8K) is the best for okonomiyaki, but homemade is a good substitute (or better yet, homemade Kewpie (http://blog.chefsarmoury.com/2010/08/kewpie-mayo-lovers-guide-homemade-mayonnaise/)). I can't stand regular store-bought mayo, but Kewpie is amazing.