PDA

View Full Version : barnes & noble summer reading

murphs_mom
06-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Geared toward kids in grades K-6:

Summer Reading - Barnes&Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/summer-reading/379003570/)

jsaffold
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
We have done this in the past with Barnes and Noble and Borders. One tip or suggestion, finish and go redeem as early as you can. They get a limited number of the free books. We had slim pickins' 2 years in a row. DD either already had the books they offered or wasn't interested in the the remaining choices. The last one we did was at Borders ( she/ we got up there really late ) So she picked one and donated it to a local food bank by our house that also supplies toys and books and such for kids.

Thanks for the link btw!!:o

dutchessoftexas
06-07-2013, 12:46 PM
thank you for sharing!! :)

melissa
06-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Geared toward kids in grades K-6:

Summer Reading - Barnes*&*Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/summer-reading/379003570/)

We do that and the one at Pottery Barn Kids.:)

murphs_mom
06-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Haven't heard about the PBK one. We do B&N, Pizza Hut's, and the regional library's. Will have to check into PBK's. Thanks!

farrarwilliams
06-09-2013, 01:12 AM
The only corporate one we do is the Six Flags one, since it gives you free Six Flags tickets. But you do it during the school year so you can go in the summer. None of the rest of them seem worth it. I mean, the sentiment is nice, but the BN one's book selection is so limited.

murphs_mom
06-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Sadly, Six Flags is too far away for us. I guess the lack of intellectual fare would make many of the corporate programs passe for some. Luckily, the free corporate fluff offered up tends to appeal to our quaint child.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-09-2013, 05:26 PM
What strange staff picks. Magic Tree House and Junie B. Jones for 3/4th graders? Boxcar Children AND Rick Riordan for 5th/6th???

murphs_mom
06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Personal theory is that their awards are just books they overpurchased or got at a sharp discount. As for the by-age thing, our local B&N has never made DD stick with her age group...the store allowed her to choose from whatever's on their award shelf (usually an endcap in the childrens' section) without regard to the grade level or age group the book is listed under. The whole age/grade thing is pretty subjective and I think they're just trying to take into consideration that there are kids at very different reading levels, sometimes, despite being in the same grade. For example, they've got the Emily Windsnap book at 5th/6th grade, I think, but DD read that when she was 5yo. And she loved it. We have a family friend who has a 6th grader (sweet fostered girl with major abuse background) who's still working her way through books on baby animals, and she struggles to make those out.

The B&N thing is a quick way for any kid who reads alot anyway to earn a free book. What the kids do with those books, however, is up to them. They make great xmas or b'day gifts for other kids, can be donated to hospital pediatric wards, or gifted to pretty much anywhere a child wants. There's no rule that says the original reader has to keep the book themselves. :)

farrarwilliams
06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Magic Treehouse is the right reading level for some 3rd graders... I'm guessing they have a huge set of requirements - there must be easy and harder options, girly and boyish options, literary and junky options, etc. etc.

sichamp
06-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Pottery Barn Kids is nice because they have hardcover picture books as the reward. But you have to read the specific books on their list. Interlibrary loan and holds made it work. Most of the books were excellent, and my 5-year old and I enjoyed doing it last year. :)