PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do Your Kids Use DIY.ORG?

Mum
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure how I've managed to be on this forum for a few years and never picked up on it before. A friend just turned us on to it today.

DS is suddenly very excited about doing stuff. Seriously, being excited about doing STUFF (just the generic, anything, please just DO something STUFF word suffices) is worth writing home about these days.

So I'm wondering who else has kids that use it and if you're willing to share in a public forum, What is their handle?

DS is known as Dorkzilla.

iris0110
06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Kearnan just discovered DIY.org so I'm not sure how often he will use it. He is very excited about it though. His handle is wingman. I think I will introduce Tharen to it as well.

Jeni
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I've never heard of it. What's it about?

Mslksdh
06-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Okay after hearing about it so much on here lately we just signed up. His handle is coolhandluke06, he is 7 so not sure what all he will do.

valerieanne
06-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Not here. We don't facebook, twitter, pin or anything. Joining this forum was a big step. If you find a SEDI (somebody else does it) site for me, you'll have my ear. My eyes. Whatever.

Stella M
06-06-2013, 12:55 AM
I've heard of it and I keep meaning to do it with ds or start up a DIY group...but so far haven't gotten around to it. Maybe you'll inspire me!

hockeymom
06-06-2013, 06:09 AM
I've not heard of it either. I'll add it to the mental list of sites to check out...

amberd
06-06-2013, 08:01 AM
I had told dd about this just before summer started but forgot to sign her up. Thanks for the reminder.

Mum
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
DIY.org (https://diy.org/) is a free kid's site that encourages kids to develop new skills. There's little tutorials in all sorts of categories - computers, baking, transportation, art, even building with Lego and Minecraft blocks.

The kids can post pics of their accomplishments and they can get badges for completing enough challenges in each category.

jenblackwell2
06-06-2013, 09:24 AM
This looks pretty cool. I love the idea of learning hands on real life skills. Can I sign up DH? Just kidding...mostly.

Mum
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
This looks pretty cool. I love the idea of learning hands on real life skills. Can I sign up DH? Just kidding...mostly.

LOL I seriously wish I could do it. I want some badges, man!

Mslksdh
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
LOL I seriously wish I could do it. I want some badges, man!

Image Gallery Mom Merit Badge (http://mommeritbadge.com/image-slider/)

BakedAk
06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Oh for goodness sake - I just spent 2 hours (at work) watching videos/tutorials of tanning leather, making a food dehydrator out of recyclables (guess I'll have to take that dead microwave apart after all), and thinking, "THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO DO THAT! SOMEONE ELSE HAS ALREADY FOUND THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS! I CAN MAKE CURRICULA OUT OF THIS!" Now to dial back my enthusiasm so I can let my kids "find" it.

Mum
06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Image Gallery Mom Merit Badge (http://mommeritbadge.com/image-slider/)

That's a batch of awesomesauce right there.

RTB
06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Oh! How cool, thanks for posting!

JinxieFox
06-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I'd never heard of it and it looks wicked cool. My son is already excited to assist my husband with making furniture when we get settled in the U.S. and he (my son) comes back to us in January... So maybe I can turn him on to this as well. I've bookmarked the site. Let's see if I remember it in January!

jsaffold
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I've never heard of it either, ummm heading there now:rolleyes:

jsaffold
06-07-2013, 11:19 AM
I've never heard of it either, ummm heading there now:rolleyes:
OHH my why did I do that?:eek:

How have I never stumbled across this? My dd and ds are going to love this!
Thanks for the poll post, it just open a pandoras box of goodies!!!

trulycrabby
06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Minecraft? Did you say Minecraft? DS9 is suddenly extremely interested. ;)

dbmamaz
06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
wow . . .that IS cool . . . and just in time for summer. Summer's plan is finish LLLOTR, finish math book and read a lot of fiction for Orion, do math, do LOE for Raven, and chemistry kit . . . but this might be able to be squeezed in too . . ..

BakedAk
06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Ok, I managed not to talk to them in capital letters...Girl wants to do "filmmaker," "magician," and "puppeteer," IIRC; Boy wants to make a life-sized T-Rex puppet from cardboard (!) and a "movie trailer for Jurassic Park 3D" (? - he has not yet seen any Jurassic Park movies, except the excerpt that was included in Nova's Arctic Dinosaurs.) So much for "Farmer," "Gardening" and "Pioneer." Oh well. I just might pretend I'm 11 and sign myself up. :)

Jen Law
06-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Do you get the badges for real or just digitally?

Starkspack
06-08-2013, 08:04 AM
In looking at the parent part of the site, it says that they hope to offer real embroidered patches for sale in the future. So it must be just digital for now.

Cool site, will have to remember this!

jsaffold
06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Do you get the badges for real or just digitally?

Right now it looks like the badges are digitally, but they do have a comment in there somewhere I noticed that real patches are in the the works. ( for purchase I'm sure)

dbmamaz
07-05-2013, 11:57 AM
so, today was our first 'maker' day - the boys are happy! Orion is building buildings in minecraft and Raven is making a music video in scratch!

BakedAk
07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Boy and Girl are both excited about the "Prankster" challenges. Great. So Boy has completed his first challenge - gluing a penny to the curb for me to try to pick up. He's not very good about keeping secrets, though (he tried swiping a quarter from my change bank, got caught, insisted he couldn't use one of his own quarters for his project, because he wouldn't be able to get it back, then asked me for a penny), so I had to fake being tricked, but he was so pleased.

Their DIY names are "Side Kick" - not "sidekick," but "Side Kick" - a tae kwon do move, and "Anikin Snugglewalker." :)

KristinK
10-03-2013, 10:15 PM
My eldest are on. Winter and Cassiopeia. We're having trouble getting projects to load though. Well, THEY are. I have no clue what they're doing...they've explored it all without me.

Mostly my dd9 seems to be using the "chat" features...not sure how I feel about that...they haven't been as inspired to do stuff as I had hoped.

Gummers
10-04-2013, 12:29 AM
So my oldest has been getting herself a bunch of badges. She's been baking up a storm. :D

dbmamaz
10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
My kids got in a rut - the older one only wanted to build minecraft and the younger only wanted to make videos.

anyways, my younger kept having trouble loading videos too - the problem was Internet Explorer. You have to use a better browser - like Chrome. Its easy to use internet explorer to download chrome, and then just open it - everything works better in chrome

Anne S.
10-04-2013, 11:35 AM
We signed up recently with the intent to form a local group. I haven't had the time to get that going yet. I think that physical badges may be available now in the marketplace: https://diy.org/market/patches. I can't imagine that they charge $5 for a digital download. DS(8) is VERY excited about DIY. This post reminded me that I need get started on it!

summer94
10-10-2013, 02:09 AM
oh great, thanks. Like I didn't have enough to do :p

Seriously though, this site is awesome! My kids, especially daughter, are gonna go NUTS when I show them tomorrow!

Zuzu
10-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Haven't heard of it. About to check it out (will I ever emerge?). Thanks!

Jen Law
11-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Hipster is really getting into it, her user name is Tiger Lili and she would like to follow some other home ed kids (and have them follow her too).