PDA

View Full Version : Global Schooling

paleomom
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
My DH and I really want to start global schooling, we want to travel the world with our girls and school on the road. We are struggling on how to make this work. We both has Associates degrees and no savings. We know it is possible but not sure where to start as far as finding work on the road (internet). He has traveled before while in the Navy but I have never gone past the Mississippi (we are in GA) and have only been on a plane once.

Has anyone done this? How long? Did you enjoy it?

Any info or suggestions are welcome.

We are thinking it may take a year or 2 to get everything in order so there isn't a real rush my girls are only 3 and 4 so we have some time.

I have started my own eCommerce business where I offer products from several hundred retailers and a few exclusive brands, If I can get this really going we will be fine but it's a tough .

Sweden
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Well, this is exciting. I bet schooling ends up not being your biggest issue. Lots of people school while on the road and taking it global is just a variation. Check out this family for some inspiration:

http://www.familyonbikes.org/index.htm

ThePanix
05-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Wow, very cool.

There is a member here who might be able to give you some pointers. They are from Alaska and hop on their RV to go 'wintering' in Utah. While this isn't necessarily global, I still think you could get some helpful info from her. Here is her blog: ~the Gypsy Love (traveling homeschool) Circus~ (http://akgypsylovecircus.blogspot.com)

Let us know how your planning goes! :)

Sweden
05-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Oh, yes. Definitely let us know how the planning goes. I'd like to live vicariously through you.

JDG
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I suggest you read:
360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World--A Memoir by John Higham
and
One Year Off: Leaving It All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey with Our Children by David Elliot Cohen

Both are memoirs of families who did it for year. There is a bit about how they worked it financially and what they did for curriculum. I love the idea of it, but we have an only child, and he gets lonely when we go on vacation for week without other kids so he wouldn't stand for it. Luckily my husband works for the UN, and we find out our next posting in July.

rueyn
06-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm not worried so much about schooling, but about the logistics, especially traveling with a younger (7) kid.

Dcapron - how old is/are your kid(s)?

quabbin
06-01-2013, 03:34 PM
That would be so interesting even just to plan! I wonder, would you or your DH have a special area of interest that you could travel making speeches or teaching workshops about (like how to start your own business, or public health topics, or some interesting hobby)? Do you speak any other languages?

jennykay
06-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Very cool idea. My husband and I would love to do this with our two kids. I do think it's more likely for us that we'll plan an annual trip to a different country or place until we can get hubby unchained from corporate butt-in-chair mode. I think it's great you are thinking about this now. My husband was inspired by a family's blog where they live very affordably in various places around the world with their children and homeschool along the way. Let me ask him about it later and I'll let you know more info.

KristinK
06-01-2013, 10:54 PM
we've been thinking about this too. lots. but we haven't made any real plans yet. right now we're focusing on finding an affordable van/camper solution to start with a cross-canada (and probably back through the US) trip for next summer. Then we'll take it global ;)

check out The Vagabond Family. I think there's a website as well as a facebook page. I know I've joined another FB page or two as well - maybe a Roadschooling one. The Vagabond Family has tons of inspiring stories.

alegre
06-02-2013, 01:47 AM
another book resource is
Roadschooling Ryan: Learn As We Go (http://www.amazon.com/Roadschooling-Ryan-Learn-As-We/dp/0595443664/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370152050&sr=8-1&keywords=roadschooling+ryan) by Mary Sennewald

paleomom
06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
My kids are 3 and 5(next week). We are waiting to hear if my DH will be getting a job where he would be home one month and gone (out to sea) the next, so we could travel during the months he is with us. We are still in the very early planning stage. Trying to make a goal for 2 years from now to start. So my girls would be 5 and 7. My girls do not have any friends where we live now, so it is a little easier for us to just leave, DH and I do not really have any friends here either.

We do not speak any other languages yet. I am fluent in Sign Language and I took French in high school and DH took Spanish. We get a great discount for Rosetta Stone through DHs work. So we are looking at that and trying to figure out what language we want to start with.

After doing a lot of research I think we may stick to renting a place for a month in each country we visit. That way its a little less expensive and we can stay close to other children as well. We've found places in Italy and Spain that were less than our rent here in the US and better places, especially if you go in the off season.

I will keep you guys posted as we plan.

Gummers
06-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I would love love love to take a year or two off and just travel/roadschool. It sounds so liberating.

My Dh travels a lot for work and we try and go with him when ever possible. I don't really consider it road schooling or global schooling because we do have a home base in Dubai and we don't travel even close to full time... plus we have cats. I couldn't possibly leave my cats with no one home for months on end. In the past 10 months we've gone to Oman, Greece, Sri Lanka and Spain. We will be going to Egypt and Canada for most of July/August. I figure the travel is educational in and of itself so I don't bother with curriculum though I've tried to associate trips with what we are learning about at the time. Trip to Greece during our bit about Ancient Greece, etc. They learn a bit of math through money conversion when at shops, the inescapable history lessons with the sites and locations right there in front of them, science centers, museums, new foods/ingredients and cooking classes... just seeing how other people live is learning. They do almost no writing while away from home though...

Next summer (Mid-May to Mid-September) I would like to spend significant amount of time outside the heat of Dubai and at that point I would have to look at the logistics of our curriculum. Unfortunately this is high season in most of Europe and monsoon season in much of Asia so my plans might come to naught....

Good luck. :D

OldFarmer
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Gummers, I'm always embarrassed when I post right after you. Not stalking, I promise! :p

We also live most of the year in UAE, but our habit has been to spend the summers "back home" near hometown friends and family back in the States. So we start the school year in US and end it right around the time we leave UAE (due to the heat Gummers cites in her post).

We have not had as much opportunity to travel from UAE as we would have liked, as much of dh's work takes him to KSA, and I am not keen on going there unless it is for religious pilgrimage, which we're hoping for this year. But we have taken a few jaunts, and the kids have really enjoyed Oman, Jordan and Kenya, and we also make a stop between US and UAE, when we spend a few weeks in the High Atlas of Morocco with dh's side of the family. Our hope for this year is to see KSA and something in Asia--but we're still going back and forth on the where. Maybe Sri Lanka. We also want to go back to East Africa, and I really want to see Turkey. We're thinking of a short stop in Paris this year on our transatlantic crossing, as the kids are working on learning French.

Anyway, we figure this stint in UAE is temporary, and it's pretty uniquely situated for travel opportunities, so we do want to make the most of it to grow globally competent, fearless and open-minded kids. That's the primary focus in the big picture, even though we do cover a pretty standard curriculum in the day-to-day.

From a practical standpoint, that means that over summer, the kids are doing daily work in French, Arabic and math, along with reading lots of library books. I don't push, and it's really about an hour and a half plus reading time, so no one feels terribly put upon. The hope is that once they are back "in class," it will continue to flow smoothly.

We're in a little apartment for the summer, and trying to take as many opportunities to do the unique things here, alongside spending time with our dearest. Then, we try to do the same while traveling, and again while living in the UAE. It is a good, if sometimes fatiguing, lifestyle to remind ourselves to make the most of the time we have. We keep our living costs small, looking for affordable living spaces and keeping pet-free to try to keep everything simple and inexpensive. We try not to sign up for too many activities, instead looking for unstructured learning opportunities in our environments.