Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Homeschool Product Wish List

  1. #1
    Senior Member Evolved DragonFaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    385

    Default Homeschool Product Wish List

    What sorts of supplemental products do you wish were available for your homeschool? I'm not talking about curriculum but rather supplemental items that you can't seem to find and/or don't want to make yourself. Certain topics for flash cards? Compilation of "homeschool helps" like forms, teaching aids, writing prompts, check lists, etc.? I am wanting to create a line of homeschool products, and I'm trying to decide where the needs are in what appears to be a fairly full market already. So what products do you want? What would you be willing to pay for?
    Zookeeper to Boo, 12, and Wild Man, 11, three cats, a bunny, and a frog.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arrived murphs_mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    A truly secular history book for children that covered more than Euro history. I'm still waiting for someone to write and illustrate a really good one.
    Carolyn
    caretaker for quirky DD (hatched 2006)

    *************************************
    “My bed is a magical place where I remember everything i was supposed to do that day.” - unknown

  3. #3
    Senior Member Evolved DragonFaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murphs_mom View Post
    A truly secular history book for children that covered more than Euro history. I'm still waiting for someone to write and illustrate a really good one.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have the knowledge or the ability to write books and curriculum. I'm trying to find out what supplemental products people might be interested in. Flash cards, planning forms, compilations of notes and "cheat sheets," etc.
    Zookeeper to Boo, 12, and Wild Man, 11, three cats, a bunny, and a frog.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Evolved mpippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    AE
    Posts
    344
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    All of the things you list are all readily available, and many times for no charge at all. The one thing I would pay for is a bound and printed planner that was completely blank, just the forms already made. Such a planner would include sections for:
    *Classes
    *Daily plans
    *Field trips
    *Attendance
    *Monthly progress notes
    *Folders inside for sample storage
    *Photo pockets
    *Book list
    *Curriculum list
    *Notes
    *Assessment sheets

    With no cutesy illustrations, no quotes, no scribbly fonts. Just straight-forward record keeping.
    Michelle

    Bay - high school? How the hell did that happen?
    Tuna - upper elementary


    The Eclectic Education of Terrific Tuna

  5. #5
    Senior Member Arrived farrarwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    7,687

    Default

    Yeah, I feel like all the supplemental stuff is out there already. There are curricula that don't exist though - I especially think there's a lot of room in the science market, but there are needs in geography, history, and so forth as well.

    ETA: There are specific supplemental books I wish existed - in particular, I'm always encountering famous historical figures who don't have a children's biography about them who I really think should. Also, about certain science topics that seem like they need another book or two. But I don't think that's what you mean either.
    Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying is just my own opinion, based on my own experiences teaching and with my own kids and my own life. You should just ignore me if I'm annoying you. I don't mind.

    But if I don't annoy you, feel free to visit my blog:
    http://farrarwilliams.wordpress.com
    Children's Books, Homeschooling and Random Musings...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Evolved DragonFaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpippin View Post
    All of the things you list are all readily available, and many times for no charge at all. The one thing I would pay for is a bound and printed planner that was completely blank, just the forms already made. Such a planner would include sections for:
    *Classes
    *Daily plans
    *Field trips
    *Attendance
    *Monthly progress notes
    *Folders inside for sample storage
    *Photo pockets
    *Book list
    *Curriculum list
    *Notes
    *Assessment sheets

    With no cutesy illustrations, no quotes, no scribbly fonts. Just straight-forward record keeping.
    This is certainly a doable idea. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by farrarwilliams View Post
    Yeah, I feel like all the supplemental stuff is out there already. There are curricula that don't exist though - I especially think there's a lot of room in the science market, but there are needs in geography, history, and so forth as well.

    ETA: There are specific supplemental books I wish existed - in particular, I'm always encountering famous historical figures who don't have a children's biography about them who I really think should. Also, about certain science topics that seem like they need another book or two. But I don't think that's what you mean either.
    I wish I had the expertise to write curriculum like this, especially in the science areas. Alas, I do not. :-(
    mpippin likes this.
    Zookeeper to Boo, 12, and Wild Man, 11, three cats, a bunny, and a frog.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Evolved
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    521
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Cards (maybe half a 3x5") to go on a timeline. If you put the year on the back and the event on the front, it could also work as flash cards/practice putting them in chronological order. You could make different sets by course (Earth history, ancient history, US history, etc.--maybe color code?). Include a few blanks for people to add their own if they want.

    Otherwise, there are so many free printables and cheap workbooks and flash cards that you may have trouble competing with what's already out there.
    DragonFaerie likes this.
    Mama of one DS, first grade;
    recovering schoolteacher;
    lifelong bookworm

  8. #8
    Senior Member Arrived AddlepatedMonkeyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrarwilliams View Post
    ETA: There are specific supplemental books I wish existed - in particular, I'm always encountering famous historical figures who don't have a children's biography about them who I really think should.
    I've seriously considered writing Diane Stanley with some requests.
    Stella M likes this.
    Mother of two monkeys...daughter age 9 and son age 10.5.

  9. #9
    valerieanne
    Guest

    Default

    Are you an artist? How about an "Approaching the Arts" curriculum interwoven with art history? Music/dance/drama/visual arts are a tough one for those of us who have no talent or interest in the subject areas. I'm thinking a broad introduction, nothing too in-depth. There are plenty of resources for little concertos, ballerinas, etc who have already found their inner artiste. Think BEGINNER.
    Rtrujillo likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Evolved DragonFaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Unfortunately, I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler and somebody else's hands. LOL..
    Zookeeper to Boo, 12, and Wild Man, 11, three cats, a bunny, and a frog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •