PDA

View Full Version : Barnes & Nobles

paganmomblog
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I was at the Barnes & Nobles earlier checking out the B&N School section. I didn't have alot of time because we were hitting a movie next door. I saw TONS of full curriculum (see link below) and various workbooks. I am wondering if anyone here has bought any of them and their experience with them. Thanks!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Complete-Curriculum/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411498815/?itm=4&USRI=curriculum

schwartzkari
07-13-2010, 09:54 PM
The link took me to a FlashKids workbook, and my daughter LOVES those! She's working on the 1st grade Reading workbook and it is just the right amount of fun mixed with challenges. She isn't an independent reader yet, so my only complaint is that sometimes the words seem to be a little too advanced for the ages the workbook is designed for. Otherwise, I think they are totally worth the money. I love Barnes and Noble and the associates working there are usually super friendly toward homeschoolers.

ercswf
07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
My boys like their workbooks. I have been moving away from workbooks because I feel my boys need to do more writing.

paganmomblog
07-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks! I am not so sure I want to do alot of workbooks but I think they might help a little bit with my two younger ones. I need to find some time where I can go and spend a few hours really looking at the books. I love the entire section though! Feels almost like it's meant for homeschoolers, even though I am sure it's meant for teachers as well.

ESNQueen
07-14-2010, 03:23 PM
We're using some of these, the LA and Writing and Reading ones (grade 1, and now grade 2). I feel like they're good, but not excellent. They don't go into much depth, but they're fun and DD does learn from them. I won't use the math, though. There's not enough explanation, but just a bunch of problems to do.

Fiddler
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Apologies if you all already know this, but if you have proof you are a homeschooler (I took my letter of approval from the school district) you can get an Educator card from B&N that is also good for online purchases. I'm pretty sure it's 20% off all "classroom" book purchases. A couple of times a year B&N has "Educator's Weekends" when you can get 25% off just about anything, but I think that's for store purchases only, and not online.

paganmomblog
07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Apologies if you all already know this, but if you have proof you are a homeschooler (I took my letter of approval from the school district) you can get an Educator card from B&N that is also good for online purchases. I'm pretty sure it's 20% off all "classroom" book purchases. A couple of times a year B&N has "Educator's Weekends" when you can get 25% off just about anything, but I think that's for store purchases only, and not online.

Thanks for mentioning that, I totally forgot about it. Are there any fees like the regular store card?

Fiddler
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
No fees--isn't that great?

Melyssa
07-15-2010, 12:02 AM
We used many of those Flash Kids workbooks in younger grades and we really liked them. I used them as a supplement for areas she needed help with but not as a base curriculum or anything.

paganmomblog
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
No fees--isn't that great?

You just made my husband a very happy man LOL!

Riceball_Mommy
07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
I've filled out the form to get the card but I keep missing an opportunity to go there or when I do I leave something at home that I need. Hopefully I can get there this weekend and get the card. Right now we really like workbooks, we're using two kinds, Kumon and Disney School Skills.

schwartzkari
07-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I've filled out the form to get the card but I keep missing an opportunity to go there or when I do I leave something at home that I need. Hopefully I can get there this weekend and get the card. Right now we really like workbooks, we're using two kinds, Kumon and Disney School Skills.

We love Kumon workbooks here too. My daughter has been using them since she was 3. I just found out that they actually make workbooks for grade level too! I saw one for 6th grade. I hope they make them for all grades because the ones we are using right now go from age 3-8 and then stop. I would love to continue using them for supplements thru the elementary years.