View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Are you an "Accidental Homeschooler"?

07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Having two kids with special needs, I've never been overly fond of labels...but one that I have never shied away from is a term that was coined by Time4Learning™ called "Accidental Homeschoolers (http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/accidentalhomeschooler.shtml)." I think that label is a hoot, and actually quite descriptive of our family's situation and that of many others I have come across.

I would love to know how many of you might consider yourselves "Accidental Homeschoolers!"

07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
When my daughter was first born I just thought she'd go to public school. I was planning on being the super involved PTA mom but I didn't think of homeschooling until about 2 years ago.

07-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd been looking forward to my son starting school and my life getting "back to normal" where I'd be working again and have a lot more free time. He had a dairy allergy, but that seemed under control. Then he had an anaphylactic reaction to nuts. I had been somewhat considering homeschooling for a month or so before the nut reaction but that made it pretty clear. It's been good overall, but boy has my life been different than I envisioned it!

07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Yup, accidental....that's us. "The Plan" was I'd stay home until my youngest was in first grade, then I'd return to the classroom. They did go to PS for a couple of years, I was one of those "super-involved" PS moms, and that's when I realized that traditional school wasn't going to work for us.

I wish now we had homeschooled from the beginning.

07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I have always thrown the idea around but kind of thought it was unrealistic and figured I would end up sending them to school. It wasn't until recently when I got faith in myself that I can do it! I am glad that I figured it out before we sent her to public school!

07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
If you'd told me I was going to be a homeschooling Mom when I was in law school, i would have laughed at you. But, I'm pretty sure I knew I'd homeschool from the first cry in the delivery room.

07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Luckily the accident happened when Kiddo was only about 2. I thought homeschooling was for weirdos, but I also realized that DS was probably not going to be a good fit in PS, especially in my state. So I was looking for alternatives, Montessori, Enki, Sudbury, and found nothing available in my area (Christian private schools only). I kinda was left with homeschooling.

So I looked it up somewhat grudgingly, and I saw that my state was wide open. No tests, no reviews, no evaluations. That freedom to try different things as needed, make changes etc. really, really appealed to me. Then I was on board.

Convincing hubby took about 2.5 more years.

07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
We were sort of forced into it by a potential school closure in our little village, so I voted "Definitely". Although in the end our school didn't completely close, once we had studied homeschooling we decided to keep going with our plans and haven't looked back. It's too much fun!

07-08-2010, 12:03 AM
We are the very definition of an accidental homeschooling family. Our school system was always considered one of the best and we made sure and bought a house in the best part of the city depite what it did to our budget just so our children could go to what was considered the best elementary school in town (we only have 4). Then my daughter developed school phobia and severe separation anxiety disorder after my mother suddenly passed away and the school handled it in the worst way possible. So here we are... last September I had no knowledge of homeschooling and sat there in shock for quite a while when it became apparant to my husband and I that this was the only option available. I was very angry at the school in the beginning for forcing me into this as it was something I had never envisioned in my entire life. We managed our first year rather well and now I look forward to it. It's almost freeing in a way to not be held down by such rigid schedules and demanding teachers and idiotic school rules. What started off as sheer terror at the very thought has turned into the best thing I think has happened for our family.

07-08-2010, 12:35 AM
If you'd told me I was going to be a homeschooling Mom when I was in law school, i would have laughed at you. But, I'm pretty sure I knew I'd homeschool from the first cry in the delivery room.

I have to say this response was great! Made me want to cry! What lucky kids you have!

07-08-2010, 12:36 AM
When I left my job (teacher), I sobbed. Multiple times. I was sure I would get DS old enough to get into kindergarten, maybe 1st grade, and be back to work. Then I got to know him :D. He's wild,creative, energetic, wonderful, and not school is not fit for him. Now, I can't imagine returning to teaching. This is such a richer experience.

07-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Homeschooling was always on my mind. With my sons problems he really thrived at school, once we got that taken care of I did not want to pull him out of school because he was so busy in activities. Then I kept telling myself middle school I will homeschool him because i despised school and then I just got sick of public school and said F it.. I may not have my own diploma but I sure as heck know better then how those kids were not only being taught but being dealt with. So here I am 3 kids, divorced, and homeschooling.. Who knew!!

07-08-2010, 03:28 AM
From the time my twins were 2 I knew I wanted to homeschool them. Their dad agreed, and that was it. We homeschooled right from the beginning.

07-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I'd been interested in homeschooling since DS was around preschool age. He has some very advanced interests and abilities and preschool was merely play for him (that sounds weird right--but it was a very "academic" preschool and the "learning" parts were just review for him, so it ended up being all social--which was totally fine of course, but he really wanted to learn). We had deep suspicions that ps wasn't going to offer anything for him, but the idea of homeschooling wasn't really a viable option yet for my DH. So we enrolled DS in a French immersion K-8 school to offer him some challenge, but then we ended up moving countries before K started. K and grade 1 were miserably boring for him and finally we'd had enough. We brought him home in March and haven't looked back.

Whereas academically (and selfishly!) I wish we'd never started him in ps, it's turned out to be a good thing. It's very difficult to meet people in our little community and the only 2 friends he has here he made at school. There are no neighbor kids and no way to really get to know other kids or families, so that's been good for him (he's very social). Also, it was good to see that our initial predictions about ps were right, so DH feels more comfortable with the decision.

07-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Oh yeah! It started with our daughter while stationed in Japan. She was diagnosed with ADHA w/o hyperactivity and with "unspecified" learning disabilities (don't you just love those labels?).

Anyway, the DODSS corralled all the 6th graders into their own little prison because the elementary school had no more room for them and the high school flat out refused to have them, so they got 2 story portable buildings and set them up on a asphalt parking lot, fence it in with 10' high chain-linked, barbed-wired fence with only one gate and called this prison "school". The whole area was only about 100' x 100' for the approximately 150 kids.

The teacher was completely unresponsive to us, I never met her! She was a no show at all parent-teacher conferences (she never held them), would not return phone messages, would not reply by hand carried note nor reply to email. When I would show up on campus she would conveniently disappear. My daughter was failing her classes and I could not get the teacher's input as to why.

Half of the girls in my daughter's class had restraining orders against the other half of the class. My daughter was the only girl not involved in that mess.

There was one boy who was stabbing other kids in the butt with a butterfly knife as he passed them between their classes. It took a while to catch who was doing it (he was fast with the knife) but he got sent back to the states as soon as they caught him.

This 6th grade school also had it's own prostitution ring... no joke. Some of the girls along with some from the high school formed their own little group of hookers as a way of making money from the sailors on the ships in port.

With all of this going on we could no longer put our daughter in the hands of the DODSS for another year. Our only option there was to homeschool.

We knew our daughter was behind academically and would have to catch up to her peers but not knowing anything about homeschooling we followed the advice of our homeschooling friends and they recommended, a box school at home program on video (with no flexibility but lots of structure). It was ABeka, we tossed out the bible class and reported an A, treated all god references as the fairy tales that they are, and quickly educated ourselves of other options and went with something a lot more secular the following year. ABeka did what we needed at the time, it caught her up to grade level even though it took us the full 12 months to do it. The public education system had taken a lot out of her that year. It took a bit longer to restore a willingness to learn and to feel safe while learning.

Our daughter went on to graduate high school with honors (combo public school and homeschool), graduated college with honors with a degree in criminal justice (even while suffering with Meniere's disease which has now rendered her mostly deaf), and is now applying to law school. I guess with all the failures of the public education system, homeschooling helped her succeed.

With sonny it was a little different, once we discovered he was profoundly gifted and the teachers/schools struggled to keep him challenged we knew it was an option we would soon have to exercise, but when the bullying intensified we just pulled him from (private) school to homeschool him (mid 3rd grade). As an experiment (my hubby's doing not mine) sonny went to a public school (GATE-Seminar) program (6th grade) for the profoundly gifted. As already stated on the thread about bullying, the "semiNERDs" were the target for all the school's bullies. So back to what is successful - homeschooling. And here is where sonny will stay until he graduates.

07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I didn't even know homeschooling was an option.
Dea went to daycare & preschool, because I was a single working mom. She then went on to Kindergarten. It was the logical next step. As far as I knew, homeschooling had ceased once there were enough public schools for everyone to have access to them. It was during her Kinder year that I had Jay & got married. We had a lot of problems witht the pregnancy & I ended up in the hospital for weeks. Dea was staying with my dad & stepmom. Before & after the hospitalization, I was in constant contact with the school & Dea's teacher. As I said in the bullying thread, Dea was being bullied for being smart. The school was doing nothing about it. They kept saying they'd look into it, but never bothered to do anything. Her teacher raved about how wonderful she was, how she was the smartest kid in class, how helpful & caring she was, etc. When I asked the teacher about giving Dea something more to do, she told me that she wasn't allowed to. She said she'd love to give Dea more advanced work, find something she didn't already know that she could study, even just allow her to spend most of the day reading, but her hands were tied. The school wouldn't allow it.
So, my poor little girl was bored out of her mind, being bullied for being smart (which just taught her that being smart is a bad thing), and as a result was hiding her intelligence & losing her natural desire to learn. I knew I had to do something. We couldn't afford private school, and don't have any secular private schools around us anyway. In my search for an answer, I stumbled upon some info about homeschooling.
The more I read about it, the more I knew it was the answer. I could allow her to work at her own pace. I could show her that being smart is a good thing, not something to be ashamed of or hide. I could include her interests in her curriculum, and skip over the stupid pointless things schools teach. I could use my knowledge of her learning styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc(I already knew all of that because I'd always been very involved in her education at home, after I got home from work & my days off). I could have her learn a foreign language in grade school, not have to wait until high school. She's gifted & has severe combination-type ADHD, I could do a better job working with her than the schools could (after all, she got them both from me & I know what it's like to be in her shoes) By homeschooling, I could give her the education she deserved. I fell in love with the idea right away. It took a little work to convince hubby. He was concerned it would be too much for me since Jay was a preemie and, at the time we were discussing this, was still in the NICU. Eventually, I convinced I could handle homeschooling Dea & taking care of Jay. When she finished Kinder, we informed the school & district that she would never be returning. That summer we became eclectic homeschoolers & have never looked back.
A year or two ago, we found out Dea also has Bipolar. Jay is also gifted & has combination type ADHD. I've been watching him for signs of dyslexia, and am seeing many (though he has no trouble with reading), so we'll keep an eye out for that. Things like this just reinforce that we're doing the right thing.

So, yeah we we're accidental homeschoolers, but saying goodbye to the public school system was the best decision we ever made.

07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I definetly think we are. Even though I had always wanted to and spent lots of time reading up on it, we made the decision very quickly and out of frustration with public school.

07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm with Topsy, I don't like labels but I guess what the article describes fits us somewhat. Well, fits how we first came to homeschool but not at all how we roll now 3 children later lol. Can't we come up with something better than "accidental?" I also didn't agree with this point in the article..." Accidental homeschoolers start with real trepidation and often with little to no enthusiasm for their endeavor." Just because homeschooling wasn't our first choice doesn't mean we didn't embrace it with the same enthusiasm as public and private school. Like others have mentioned, we are involved in our child's schooling, whatever form it takes and that's no accident!

07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I also didn't agree with this point in the article..." Accidental homeschoolers start with real trepidation and often with little to no enthusiasm for their endeavor." Just because homeschooling wasn't our first choice doesn't mean we didn't embrace it with the same enthusiasm as public and private school. Like others have mentioned, we are involved in our child's schooling, whatever form it takes and that's no accident!

I agree. I also wasn't thrilled with the comment before that about how accidental homeschoolers are unprepared & have no idea what homeschooling really means. I admit that when I first came across the idea of homeschooling, I didn't even know it was an option. However, before we started, I did massive research - reading every book & visiting every website I could find about homeschooling. I did not start this journey scared, unprepared, uninformed, unenthusiastic, etc., and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

07-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm with Topsy, I don't like labels but I guess what the article describes fits us somewhat. Well, fits how we first came to homeschool but not at all how we roll now 3 children later lol. Can't we come up with something better than "accidental?" I also didn't agree with this point in the article..." Accidental homeschoolers start with real trepidation and often with little to no enthusiasm for their endeavor." Just because homeschooling wasn't our first choice doesn't mean we didn't embrace it with the same enthusiasm as public and private school. Like others have mentioned, we are involved in our child's schooling, whatever form it takes and that's no accident!

I agree. No lack of enthusiasm in this household! Maybe in the time that the company came up with that opinion, they had run into alot of people who felt they had to and were unhappy about it?

07-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I have always been in love with the idea of homeschooling but I always thought we couldn't do it. One day (exactly one day into last year's school year) I asked my husband if he thought we should do it. He had been pushing it since my oldest started Kindergarten so he just looked at me like I just woke up or something. We made the big decision right then and there and pulled our children out of school.

Our children went to one of the best schools in the district but I was still watching things go wrong with the whole process. My oldest seemed stressed out all of time, my 2nd would cry about having to go to school and the day I dropped my oldest boy off at Kindergarten was so emotionally hard for both of us and I just couldn't stand it that I sent him off to the same place that seemed to be pulling the spirit right out of my daughters.

so my answer is "Sort of. I didn't always plan on homeschooling, but the idea grew on me. "

07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I tossed around the idea of homeschooling starting when Zack was receiving home visits from Parents as Teachers as a toddler. His home educator expressed her misgivings about our area public schools and said if she could do things over, she would have homeschooled her children. So of course, I went "hmmm" and from then on, the homeschooling idea was always in the back of my mind. However, we live right next door to a parochial school, so we sent Zack to preschool through first grade there. We were thinking, "Yay, private school, smaller classes, how can we lose?" but by the last half of his first grade year, he hated going to school. He has sensory processing disorder and is a sensory avoider in the worst way, so you can imagine how difficult a classroom environment was for him. When I broached the idea of homeschooling, Zack and my husband both jumped on the idea enthusiastically. Zack is a different boy right now, knowing that he won't be asked to return to that "noisy, hot, smelly, boring" school.

07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Once again, i didnt feel like any of the answers fit me. Damn, how much of a non-conformist can I be?

I DO consider myself an 'accidental' homeschooler, because I really wouldnt be doing it if my kids didnt have such a hard time in school. OTOH, when I was living on the commune, before I had my first child, I had read John Holt. I did consider teaching my first, but the ex was strongly opposed, and i ended up being the income earner anyways, so it wasnt an option. Then i was a single mom, and then the second husband also didnt approve of the idea - esp since, at that point, i mostly wanted it for my 2nd child who was specail needs and only went to school to get in trouble, not to learn. Finally when the middle one was only getting worse each year in school, and dh's own child was despising K, did I again begin making strong suggestions, and finally he agreed. While I am committed to doing my best for my boys, I really miss working and really dont much enjoy being at home. otoh, i think my daughter could have done better at home than she did at school. So its all kinda confusing.

07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure if we'd be considered accidental or not. We certainly didn't plan it from the start but I wouldn't say it's our only option either.

DS went to preschool around 2 1/2 and kind of flunked out. He was uncooperative, disruptive and drove the teachers crazy. He also didn't talk and was very late potty training.

We had him evaluated by Early Intervention and he was admitted to the program due to the speech delay and some quirky behaviour. He speech ended up improving right away although he was still quirky - as well as disruptive. He continued to drive the teachers crazy with his short attention span, extremely high energy level and poor impulse control, as well as some mild sensory and stubborness issues. He "graduated" from EI since his quirks weren't enough to qualify him for the program. At that point (he was almost 4) they recommended he not return for kindergarten until he was 6.

He was/is advanced in many ways - learned all his letters very young, could count to 100, etc. He was always fascinated with letters and numbers. DH and I discussed how he would be bored in most preschools which were just introducing letters and that he would probably not behave well as a result. We decided that I would just work with him at home until kindergarten. We then got to discussing how much worse the problem would be if he waited another two years to enter kindergarten (where they just start on letter sounds and counting when he was already starting to read and do addition) and how well he learned when things were presented to him in the correct way.

I had done some research on doing preschool at home which, of course, also came up with a lot of information on homeschooling in general. DH ended up being on board with homeschooling the first time I mentioned it. He had always been bored in school and had full faith in my ability to teach the kids. (Probably doesn't hurt that both of us have science degrees and I have everything except my student teaching for Elementary Education). My older brother has ADHD (and probably Aspergers but they didn't call it that 40 years ago) and he was absolutely miserable in school. I didn't want that for my son.

07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I'd been looking forward to my son starting school and my life getting "back to normal" where I'd be working again and have a lot more free time. He had a dairy allergy, but that seemed under control. Then he had an anaphylactic reaction to nuts. I had been somewhat considering homeschooling for a month or so before the nut reaction but that made it pretty clear. It's been good overall, but boy has my life been different than I envisioned it!

My husband ( obviously not the same one for 22 years ) was against homeschooling for the two babies. He didn't get it. Until my Emma has an anaphylactic reaction to cows milk. Then he was totally on board. After almost 2 years of playing school with Quince, he is even more on board. He can see how much he learns here at home, and fully supports me now !

07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Holy cow!! Mommykicksbutt, your post scared me more and more. The school/prison seemed bad enough; the unresponsive teacher seemed worse. And, then, it just went down hill from there. A kid knifing other students just for fun--how awful!! I would be horrified to send my child to that school. But the 6th grade girls who had a prostitution ring, which "serviced" sailors, that is beyond appalling!! It makes me sick to my stomach just to read about some of the things that go on not just in the world, but in a school system. So glad that you got your children out of a hostile environment and that things have turned out well for them. Good for you all--you deserve it! :)

07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I had to say Sorta. I was okay with my big kids in school at first. They had an amazing preschool, run by the university where DH was stationed and I was finishing my degree. Then DD started kindergarten and it was okay. But because I was still doing school plus working occasional mapping contracts we never saw each other, any of us. Not DH and I, not DH, me, or any of the kids. It was awful. Then we moved to Spain and the elementary school there was great. I was nervous because DS was a kid who was very leery of new situations, but the school was so small he was okay. His class (K and 1st grade combined) was a total of 9 kids, his sister was in the same class and the teacher was phenomenal! We kept them in school there happily. And they were very successful. I cannot say enough about how small classes, small communities and fantastic teachers make a difference.

Fast forward to last school year. I was warned that the school here was huge and impersonal. Teh staff in the front office were rude. The principal seemed to always be gone. There are so many kids that elementary grades are broken into two schools. Elementary is for K-2, Intermediate is 3-5 and each grade has about 10-15 classes with 18-30 kids in each (depends on grade level). DS was overwhelmed. DD had the worst teacher ever! He was the kind of teacher who should have retired years ago, but it's hard to get DoDDS teachers to retire. The money and benefits are great (base salary, COLA, housing allowance, base shopping privileges, generous leave policy). He didn't return calls or emails, the parent/teacher conference (which is supposed to be about the student) was about him. My DD HATED school.

Another issue we had wa that DD had already done 3rd grade but DoDDS refused to let her be in 4th grade. They didn't understand that she had actually done the curriculum in full. She was in a mixed grade (2/3) class in Spain and her teacher there saw that she was too smart for 2nd grade, thanks to Mr F from 1st grade working to her more advanced level. She given third grade work and treated as a 3rd grader. She did all the work, the tests, the reports. She did better than most of the other 3rd graders. But DoDDS didn't care. they wouldn't let her take the standardized tests which upset her since she prepped for then (that's a whole 'nother issue). It was a cost thing. So she did 3rd grade again this past school year. And she struggled. She went from doing so well to being confused.

It took my son begging us to homeschool for my husband to finally give in. DS called school "inefficient." That's from a second grader! What do you mean, I asked him. He was tired of having to sit around waiting for the other kids to finish their work before they moved on to the next thing. He was tired of kids not following rules (he is very much a rules kid). He hated that he couldn't be moved into a higher math or reading group because he wasn't feeling challenged (he was in the highest groups already). So when DH finally relented (after listening to DS's well-thought out responses to DH's questions), we were all ecstatic. DD was relieved to not have to deal with kids who didn't "get" her or teachers that seemed unfair and ineffective to her. DS was thrilled to be able to learn at his pace and have the time to explore things deeper, as is his nature. He is curious and wants to know everything he possibly can. Public school just doesn't have the time to go so in-depth. And by the time they got home from school and did homework he didn't want to look up the info he was dying to know. He was burnt out.

The worst part is a number of years ago we were thrilled at the prospect of DoDDS schools. We had read many articles (not from the military) that DoDDS schools were great, test scores were #2 in the country (based on state-wide averages; that one article had 50 states, DC and DoDDS), discipline wasn't as bad a problem. HA! Things sure changed. Or if it hasn't then other schools are in a sad state.

I don't know if we'll go through high school. I actually don't know how long we'll go. I am thinking it depends on where we live (or are stationed) and what the laws are in the state we live. Laws regarding sports teams and other extracurriculars (important for scholarships and just college admissions in general; DD is interested in rowing/crew and there is a team in a couple of Tampa schools; not sure of the regs by the time we reach that age). This is our first year coming up, using Calvert since I wasn't sure where to begin, though I am very confident in Calvert. We will see how we all do with the academics, patience, fun, desire to keep going. We do like the flexibility we have for travel which is very important to us (and to me to fulfill a longtime goal in the next few years instead of in the next 15 years).

Thanks for reading my book!

07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
We are accidental homeschoolers- but enthusiastic ones! My son went to public school for k, 1st and 2nd grade. We actually moved to this state from New orleans when it was time to start school because I didn't want to put him in public school there and paying for the private school we liked would've meant even longer work hours for me. Luckily the move meant we avoided katrina, but I was really disappointed in the "top rated" school district we moved to. I voluneteered several days a week at my son's school and was the class mom every year- basically because no other parents wanted to be involved. I spent so much time trying to get parents involved in was crazy- I know now that I was wrong but I honestly believed that the majority of parents would be more involved in their kids school life if we worked harder to involve them. The PTA at the time would hold meetings in the afternoon so I worked hard to push those meetings and other events to evenings when more working parents could attend them. It didn't really help.

My son's academic progress seemed to backslide every year. He could read a technical manual or nonfiction at a very high level but give him fiction and he wasn't interested. The teacher translated that as low reading ability. He didn't do well on standardized tests so we were told that our honor roll son would probably fail second grade because test scores were the major deciding factor. I already thought the amount of time spent teaching the FCAT was a huge waste now to be told his actual grades didn't matter!
Then we had to deal with bullying issues. My sensitive son would be picked on every day by the same group of kids. Kids who in grade 4 broke into a house in our subdivison and did $15,000 in damage. My husband was the project manager and had to testify about the damage and the kids he witnessed on site. All of a sudden my son was a target. Going to the the teachers and administration did nothing. My son is really tall for his age and they felt he "could handle himself physically if attacted". I couldn't believe it. After repeated calls to our county superintendant I found out about virtual school. I pushed really hard to have the option for my son to attend virtual school, researched the companies that provided it and was completely sold. Our county started offering it for the following school year and I though for sure it was the perfect solution. The promised field trips, live online classes, great curriculum. We hated it. The teacher we were assigned brought up fcat readiness in the first phone call we had and in every one after that. Every live class was all about test prep. The curriculum was challenging which I liked but filled with busy work too. Then the promised field trips- every one was scheduled in orlando where their offices were. Nothing near us until the week before school let out. Only the teacher didn't send notices to families until the day before. It was the most unorganized thing ever.
We found out about a program in our district called The Blended School. Its a school open two days a week just for homeschoolers. Its run by the county so its free. One tuesdays they offer PE and Science and on Wednesdays Language Arts. They are grouped by grade level k-3 and 4-8. Just like school its a full day with real teachers. I talked to a few moms with kids in the program and thought, "wow I can homeschool but still have access to science materials and equipment!" and my son could have a full day of "school" interactions with other kids whose parents are really into education! So we took the plunge and decided to homeschool.
I absolutely love teaching my son. Its one of the most fun an rewarding things I never imagined liking! I supposed I shouldn't be surprised because I liked interacting with the kids at his public school and I love reading and learning myself. It was also a great way to reconnect with my son. Instead of checking the boxes of what he should be learning and jsut seeing graded worksheets I can experience his learning and show him how much enjoyment he can have from mastering a subject. Its paid off too. We took the ITBS for our year end test and his reading level was 7th grade ( while he was 4th grade) and all his other areas turned out to be high 6th grade level. Except for grammar and punctuation- those scores were horrible and you can really see the subject I didn't love teaching! But we know what to work on this year!

The hardest part has been finding other secular homeschoolers in this area. The county says that there are almost 1000 homeschool students in my county. Even in blended school they are almost 100% Christian. In fact my son ends up being one of the only to believe in evolution in his science class!

07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
When my daughter was really small I was interested in the idea of homeschooling after meeting some neighbors who did it but admittedly was nervous that I could do it. I sent my kiddo to preschool (big mistake) and thought we might do public school Kindergarten afterwards but after touring three schools and talking to the K teachers, plus her negative preschool experiences, it really put me over the edge to just try homeschooling and I've never looked back. She is almost 11 now.

07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Accidental, but I had been thinking about it ever since we were a part of the Parents as Teachers program. I knew that my son was highly sensitive and intelligent beyond his years. He never went with the flow when it came to preschool. Luckily they just let him do his own thing instead of press him.

Then when he went on to PS, he was given the educational diagnosis of Asperger's. During his evaluation, they discovered that he had a genius level IQ. But ever since the word GO, school had always been a rocky situation for him. I spent most of my time there during the day, just to help him to adapt to the environment. Then one day, during the middle of his fourth grade year, he had a severe panic attack. His special education teacher handled the situation all wrong and made the situation worse instead of better. So instead, she decided it would be a good idea to call the campus cops on a 9 year old. Luckily, I was on the scene pretty fast and I beat the man to the school...since I practically lived there and all. The situation would have escalated beyond anyone's control if I had not showed up first. Anyway, I had my son calmed down several minutes before he arrived; and when he did, the man began to humiliate me in front of everyone. Well, ladies and gentlemen. I was upset beyond words. I decided that my son would never return to that school, and from that day forth we never looked back.

The experience has been wonderful thus far. My son and I are both so thankful...we say this to each other often...and we are having a great time.