PDA

View Full Version : Transcript question

inmom
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
For those of you who have or are writing a high school transcript:

Most of my kids' grades are letter grades on their transcript: A, B, C, etc. However, for a few classes (PE, music, driver's ed) we grade pass/fail.

When calculating a GPA, how should I include the pass/fail grades? Or do I not include them? I still want the credits to count. It's not that they need a required number of credits for Indiana, but I'm more concerned about how future colleges may look at the transcript.

Thanks for any advice!

WhatEverWorks
04-17-2013, 11:03 AM
No idea - good question. I've also been wondering about weighted GPA. Here, kids get extra quality points for a class being honors or AP level. So, and A could count as 5 or 6 instead of just 4.

Accidental Homeschooler
04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't think you include them unless they are a fail. Then they are included as an F. That is how schools do it I believe.

RachelC
04-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Typically, a grade of Pass is not included in GPA. but a Fail is. I would be careful with weighted classes: you want to really be able to prove that the 'class' material was AP level. Since a non-traditional transcript is going to likely be more carefully scrutinized anyway, you would want to make sure everything is supportable by ample evidence.

JLU
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Pass/fail courses will be marked S (Satisfactory), equivalent to letter grades of C or better, and U (Unsatisfactory). Neither the S nor the U will affect the student’s average. Only courses noted as “S” receive credit.

The above is copied from a college web site. I think this is the gerneral rule of thumb that most other schools use.

inmom
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, I'm not sure if we're going to include weighted grades also. I subscribe to a yahoo group, hs2coll (hs2coll : Homeschooling toward college (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hs2coll/)) where I've read that college admissions officers will "unweight" the grades anyway.

An additional question: My kids will have several college courses completed by the time they officially graduate homeschool high school. I've heard some people count a semester of college work as a year of high school work? Has anyone any experience or advice about this? I don't want to inflate their records, but I also don't want to have them miss any admissions or scholarships because I was being over-cautious.

RachelC
04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I would not include the college classes on the high school transcript, but as a separate piece/transcript. That is how it would be if a high school student at a typical high school took a college class.

JLU
04-17-2013, 11:17 AM
That college course is tricky because the college will have that on their records and you can always just send a copy of the college transcript along with high school one when applying. You might have to find out for sure from the college admin office.

Teri
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
In Texas, PE and other electives still get a grade. I will go ahead and give them an actual letter grade for those just to help fluff it up....Not that they will be getting anything much different than an A anyway...we keep at it until they ARE an A.

BarbaraH
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
It depends a bit on the student's specific circumstances and goals, but the majority of the time I would suggest including the college credits on the high school transcript. You can have a code or clearly indicate which courses were college courses and where they were taken (such as bolding college courses or following them up with an asterisk and then having a code that says *course at x name college.)

It is a bit easier for admissions to have the student's complete record on a single document. You will still need to request an official copy of the college transcript to be sent to every college though. The one caveat, some selective colleges will not allow college credit for anything the student also received credit for in high school. So, if your student is considering these schools you may need to be a bit more careful about how you document those credits on the transcript and what you count toward your high school graduation requirements.

Personally, most of the time I don't think weighting adds a lot to a homeschool transcript. As you've learned colleges will recalculate the GPA anyway. Unless your student needs to have the credits to graduate, I personally would not weight the college courses as more as so as to avoid the look of padding or inflating. Colleges know what taking college courses means in high school so let draw their own conclusions.

As far as the pass/fail approach, for most students this will work fine, but in certain specific circumstances such as NCAA, National Merit, and some scholarships - this may create some difficult. Those situations don't apply to most students, but I just wanted to mention it in case it is relevant to your situation.

Let me know if this all makes sense!

inmom
04-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Barbara,

Thank you for your detailed answer. A few of my kids' college credits may or may not transfer, and we're okay with that. We are also having them do "dual credit" for the simple experience of college courses and to learn subjects from instructors better able to teach it or have far better lab facilities than I can provide at home.

As my mother always used to tell me, no education is wasted. (She was a brilliant student but there was no $$ for college for her when she was a teen.)