PDA

View Full Version : US History Resource For Middle School?

LillyMunster
02-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Does anyone have a good US history resource you can use to grab certain sections of history from? I am considering mixing up what the daughter is doing with virtual school classes with some individualized lessons.

inmom
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
We liked Hakim's History of Us for middle school.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
We supplemented with documentaries. PBS does some good ones for history and our library has a nice selection.

farrarwilliams
02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Look at Drama of American History too - most of the volumes just came out on Kindle.

OldFarmer
02-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Have you clicked through this?

ushistory.org (http://www.ushistory.org/index.html)

Its own entries are chronologically organized (in the US history part). Quite brief, but they offer links to other places where more info can be found. Also info to help understand (at least in theory ;)) American civics, which I would like to go into with my own kids as a summer project. There's a third section on ancient world civilizations, too. I've perused the intro to Islam, which is not offensive (!), and I'm personally interested in reading about South and East Asia, because somehow I missed ever learning anything about those.

Anyway, it looks helpfully organized and offers links for greater detail.

ETA: LillyMunster, which virtual school are you using? My MSer is in K12, so the Hakim books (C&D) are the base for class. My son is writing a research paper on atomic weapons, though, and came across this site in his research.

gypsylovecircus
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
We also used Hakim's History of Us, and my dd really liked it. Also, to keep history interesting, we searched out historical fiction and other fiction books that helped bring history to life or made a good compairson.

Some examples are..

The green glass sea by Ellen Klages New Page 1 (http://ellenklages.com/greenglasssea.html) that tells about the Manhattan Project.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - my dd was dieing to read this, so afterwards we compared the events and government(s) in the series to dictatorships and communist governments (for WWII and Cold War discussions)

Also for WWII we read the Diary of Anne Frank, and although not a US book, it really brings WWII to life.

We have started reading the Royal Diaries series to prep for world history, and dd is loving it!

inmom
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Another not-well-known nonfiction book my kids really enjoyed at that age when we studied WW II was Three Came Home by Agnes Newton Keith. I found it on Amazon, as our library didn't have it. Based on Borneo with her husband and son, it is the story of her imprisonment in several Japanese prisoner-of-war camps from 1941 to the end of WWII. Separated from her husband and with a young son to care for she has many difficulties to face.

sb550h
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
My dd uses Cicero-- you can get a good discount from hoemschooly buyers co-op

Cynthia Williford
03-15-2013, 04:06 PM
I usually cobble together history units from multiple sources for my ds, but I am seriously thinking about using the WorldView Software curriculum at Homeschool Curriculum and Affordable Homeschooling Programs - Homeschool Buyers Co-op (http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org) as our spine for American History next year. I liked what I saw in the preview, but has anyone actually used it? Opinions?