PDA

View Full Version : What day are you starting your school for the year?

SherryZoned
06-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I know some are already going.. but for those that kind of follow public schools what day do you start?

In Texas here we do not have set standards so I can start when i want! lol

I am thinking we will do some sort of all year around school, not sure on our breaks yet. I just know summer time is boring and this will leave us the flexibility if we actually ever took a vacation..or say move out of this HEAT of Texas lol

Sarbare0704
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Well we are doing a summer get ready for kindergarten workbook right now and it is in the plans to get a school room set up at some point this summer. I know Lucy is not going to like it when the work book is done because she loves to do school so hopefully the room will be done by then and we will "start" then!

paganmomblog
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Our official start date is Aug 1. I have to mail a Notice of Intent to Homeschool and I had to give a specific date. I went with Aug 1 because at the time I figured we would take the summer off. Oddly enough the website for the state says not to start before our start date. Not sure why and not sure what they would do if they ever figured out I started anyway. I am not telling my kids not to learn something just because the state said so!

SherryZoned
06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
LOL Angela.. They will bring down the wrath of rules on you! I mean seriously do they send out spies? That is the funniest thing ever! Don't start schooling.. LOL sheesh

StartingOver
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Monday, we start over every year on Quince's birthday. We school year round.

amphibology29
06-25-2010, 07:41 PM
We're going to start in the last week of August, most likely. The school district isn't starting until September 9th, but I'm due in mid-late September so I'd like to get a little more established in the year before taking some time off after the baby is born.

camaro
06-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Last year we started August 17 and I'll probably introduce some "new" material then, but we plan to continue some schooling through the summer. I have to send in a notification by August 15, but I don't remember if they want a start date or not. If they do, I'm sure it's approximate as they're pretty hands-off around here.

mommykicksbutt
06-25-2010, 07:49 PM
For the most part we try to follow what the local school systems to in order to take advantage of summer rec programs, however, over here in our little piece of Spanish owned turf of American Mayberry, it is pretty lack of kid activities. So we are going back to the states for about a month to do some serious shopping (for all the things we can't get here) and start school about a week and a half after we return (to get over jet lag and get back to normalcy, and to clean my house because hubby sure isn't going to do it!). We'll start Monday 16 Aug.

ClaireB
06-25-2010, 08:48 PM
My oldest son likes to go to summer camp, so he is going 2 weeks on, one week off, until the middle of august so we won't be able to start again until late august.

elkhollow
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
We're trying year round school for the first time. I may hate it, I don't know. We're going three weeks on, one week off. I am hoping the long frequent breaks will prevent burnout. This was our first week.

hjdong
06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Our current plan is to start Mon. Aug. 16th, although I've told James 5 million times that we'll be starting again if he doesn't stop driving me up the wall. So, it will either be Aug. 16th or directly after my sister goes home. How is it that he can find 5 million creative things to do when we're schooling and nothing when we're on break?

SherryZoned
06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I could not tell you Holly! I have the same problem. There are not a lot of kids for my kids to play with around here so therefore driving me nuts is just seeming to be normal.. I am sooo not ready for schooling yet.. I am thinking towards the end of August or after Labor Day depending on how much I can get done!

schwartzkari
06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
We school year round but our official starting date will be August 30 this year because my daughter will be 6 (when did that happen?! lol.) We've been taking things slow and easy for the last 3 years and right now I have her working on reading, a math skills workbook and an 8-week summer learning workbook. Dance class also starts back up on August 30th, so she'll be a busy little girl :)

Melyssa
06-26-2010, 12:10 AM
We just go year round since we take so many breaks all the time. An extended summer break just doesn't seem warranted when 90% of the time we're home in the morning anyway.

Fiddler
06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Jazz gets to do math all summer, except for when he's at camp (two weeks) and we're on vacation.

But the neighborhood kids go back on August 31st, and it's been our tradition to start the same day, so we'll start everything else that day.

I have fond memories of the year Jazz started "first grade"--he and Jane got in their little yellow "playhut" school bus as the kids left on the first day of school. Should get it out again for JJ's first day of "kindergarten" this year!

Busygoddess
06-26-2010, 04:46 AM
We're about a month into the new year. Well, actually 5 weeks, but we're only counting 4. The kids each took a week off, though not the same week. Jay took a week off because he wasn't sleeping well & possibly gave himself a mild concussion. Dea had a wasted week due to running out of meds before the Dr got us the new script. So, they've each done 4 weeks of work. We go year-round with breaks for holidays, time off when needed, and one month between grades so I can finalize the old year & make sure everything's ready for the new one.

SunshineKris
06-26-2010, 04:47 AM
We will start the "real" stuff mid-July, when it all gets here. But the kids are bored silly and have asked to start other stuff. So I am breaking out some of the books I had from last summer and we are going to review/catch up/ improve before the real hard work begins. I thought the kids would be happy with time off from school, time to goof around for a few weeks, but no! My kids really love the safe feeling of schooltime structure. I am looking forward to it!

Riceball_Mommy
06-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Last year we started the first Thursday after my daughter's birthday. That put us a little later than the public school starting date right at the first week of September. I also then had to keep giving us breaks because I wanted the holidays to line up. This year I was planning on a similar start date. We finished up Pre-K before vacation, but after we got back Talena kept asking do school, pointing to the Calvert books. The original plan was to spend the summer with Kumon workbooks working on some things she didn't quite get. I just placed the order for her new curriculum though and we'll just start after it gets here, which should be around the first week of July.
We are also required to send in the notification 15 days in advance. The way I see it though is, right now they don't have a form up online with the dates for next school year, and I tried to notify them last year.
I am a little worried how us starting earlier will affect the review (I decided against ATS). I might try to give us a few more breaks throughout the year and just make this year stretch out a bit longer. Of course if Talena keeps asking to do work on our days off I'm sure we'll end up finishing early.

callie
06-26-2010, 11:57 AM
We will not begin until I have my canning done. Last year I tried to start when the school district did and it did not work out well with canning and school. I didn't get to can most of my tomatoes and that did not make this mommy very happy. I don't have to give an exact date to the school board, just send an intent notice within 2 weeks their start date. I am thinking we will be able to start right after Hunter's birthday on 9/3. Hopefully I will be done canning everything by then, if not I will just postpone a little bit longer.

mamaraby
06-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Aug 24th which is a Tuesday. My husband works on a rotating schedule (5 on 2 off, 5 on 3 off) so we'll follow his "weekdays" and "weekends".

BeverlyM
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I have to be officially enrolled in my cover school by Aug 1, but I hs all year round.

LauraQofU
06-27-2010, 03:32 AM
We're doing CAVA (California Virtual Academy) and their official start date is Aug 30, but we're going to start doing some review starting August 3. She really didn't "get" a lot of the math concepts, and her reading comprehension really needs some work.

hockeymom
06-27-2010, 08:11 AM
In some ways we hs year round--DS still wants to do some "official" things like geography study units that I put in his portfolio--but we are taking a break from most math and LA. They aren't out of the picture entirely, we just aren't doing official worksheets right now. I was hoping to start back up with a more regular routine at the beginning of August but he has tennis lessons in the mornings for most of that month, right at the time we usually do most our "work". So I think I'll wait until the end of August or after Labor Day, when his public school friends will be going back. I figure we learn so much more in an average day, even on the days we take "off", that we can stay flexible with our schedule. I think that's more common in the elementary school years, but it sounds like it gets harder in middle school.

Dm379
06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Our first day is today! My poor kids didn't get much of a break. Of course, 90% of my materials haven't arrived yet so we're starting with what we have and then add things in as they get here. We're moving twice this school year so we're taking all of Nov. and Feb. off.

ercswf
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I am starting July 5th, due to our stuff being in and the fact that we are taking a bit of time off in august.

Snoopy
06-28-2010, 01:06 AM
We follow the public school calendar since I have 4 other kids in public school so our official start date will be August 23. But I always plan a summer "semester", which gets or does not get done, depending on our mood. This summer so far Noah has been doing math almost every day and I just got the email about the 30 day free trial for Time4Learning so I'm going to have him try it out starting tomorrow. We started with French too although we've been repeating lesson 1 for 2 weeks now and I think he has it down pat, lol. He reads every day. Apart from that, we just spent 4 days observing and studying nature at Sanibel Island. So in a sense, it's almost like we're doing school year-round but with spurts of more intense activities.

Marmalade
06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
um..September...7th? I have no idea-but not until September. We only have an official first day because my youngest is starting this year.

InstinctiveMom
06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
I love the year-round schedule!
We start our school year on the first Monday in January and school through November. We do 6 weeks on, 1 week off, and have school Monday-Thursday. That gives us 7 six-week learning modules which brings our school-day count on par with the public school's. Our breaks are looked forward to and welcome; I'm finding them to come at a good time and last just long enough for us to breath easy and for me to plan the next module. We also have all of December off to give us a good break during the holidays and for me to prepare for the next year.

Summer months, we have my niece with us during the day, so we're doing more of an uschooling type thing. We'll revert to a more traditional style once she's back in school.
I did advance my kids to the next 'grade' along with their former class at school (even though our school year is not completed for this year).

sadie423
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
We are starting next Monday- July 5th. We always start the first Monday in July. We basically do 4 weeks on, 1 week off. 2 weeks around Christmas/NewYears and then we are usually done by min May. So Even though I attempt year round it seems we are still off for a month and a half. This year I am doing 5 on, 1 off to attempt to get more done before the baby comes in December.

SherryZoned
06-29-2010, 02:41 PM
My kids are driving me nuts they want to start now and I am not ready!

I have decided to start as soon as I am ready enough to give it a whirl lol.
We are going with 6 weeks on and 1 week off with options of extra days for holidays or special occasions.

inmom
06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
We school year-round, but more of a combo. From September to May, we do "regular" school--math, science, writing, history, etc. For the summer, we do more projects, unit studies, camps (electric, environmental, etc) that still "count" for school. Legally, in Indiana, the kids just have to be in "attendance" for 180 days. So we have just randomly picked June 1 as the start of each year.

Jilly
06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
We will be starting September 1st. The kids and I are both burned out from a long and stressful year, and we all decided to take the whole summer off. It has been wonderful!

SherryZoned
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
We are starting in 2 weeks. Now my kids have not been really schooling for about 3 months.. Since i pulled them out of public school so they are finally bored and adjusted to everyone being home together LOL

We are going to try 6 weeks on 1 week off with possible extra daays off if needed.

MamaB2C
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM
We are in the "school is when learning happens" camp, so basically all the time.

I don't have to do anything official until he is 7, but when we do need to, the cover school I am leaning towards does enrollment in June and July and notifies the district in August.