PDA

View Full Version : So much work . . . sigh

dbmamaz
09-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok, i know i'm mostly just kinda lazy, but i'm struggling with putting together enough work for Orion!

Lets see . . .

English: doing the literary lessons of the lord of the rings. I've already given up on staying up with him on reading the books. bad mom. Plus, i have to put all the lessons in an electronic form for him - well, on the website, they have the 1st version's lesson plan up, but not the second edition, so i downloaded it and pasted it in to my spreadsheet, only to see that all the page numbers are wrong. i've emailed them twice asking for a fix, but heard nothing back. maybe i need to call?

Math: this is fine, i guess. He's doing LOF algebra as review. He tried this book 3 years ago and had panic attacks and now he's zooming through. But eventually i'll need to figure out what we are doing next.

History/social studies: we are still doing Hakim's History of US together, but the Zinn chapters are so sparse, he wont have his first Zinn chapter to read for a few more weeks. So i want to start him on the Intelligo World REligions unit study, but i really need to read through it so I know what to expect from it, and break it down in to daily lessons.

Science. Yeah. I bought the upper level chemistry from Singapore, and i really like it, but . . its not broken in to lessons. I bough the experiment part thinking we could just watch the experiments on youtube. and we are already done our first week, and i have not even STARTED on breaking this down in to lessons. It is a very daunting thing. I think I can do something like 4 weeks of text/workbook, a week of experiments, as a cycle. But i still have to break it up in to daily chunks and put it in the spreadsheet for him.

I did get him to start on his Tell Me More french (he did a little bit 2 years ago), so thats good. and he's doing a FIRST Lego Tech Challenge high school level team, and also church choir. so thats pretty well-rounded, i think.

but i just feel kinda snowed under trying to keep up with this work load! and still, you know, deal w Raven, food, injuries, etc.

anyone else find this totally overwhelming? Yeah, i know, thats why most people outsource most of high school ... .

btw, i saw a study the other day that said, according to an analysis of some data (dont remember), high school level homeschoolers are twice as likely to have special needs compared to younger homeschoolers. At first I thought that was odd - then I remembered that I DO hope to get Raven back in school by then . . . sigh.

dbmamaz
09-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Woot! they emailed me the lesson plans!!

lynne
09-15-2012, 12:05 AM
That sounds pretty rough. I'm still not sure if we will homeschool for high school. I feel like we are having a smooth school year so far because I purposely chose curriculum that is all planned out for us. Otherwise, it can definitely be overwhelming. I haven't even looked at high school level options for homeschooling yet.

Pefa
09-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah it is tough. Plus they're at a stage where you don't have as much authority (and what authority you have is going to be challenged because that's how we figure out who we are), and the subject matter needs to dealt with in greater depth. Sounds like you've got a good thing going though. I'm impressed.

dbmamaz
09-15-2012, 12:54 PM
thanks. I'm still wondering how common it is to find this so overwhelming . . .

inmom
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I find high school overwhelming. It's so much more than just the three R's. And it seems so.....well...important. Not that their education was unimportant when they were younger. But college and/or employers are looming, and we want to make sure our kids haven't missed something they needed.

dbmamaz
09-15-2012, 05:35 PM
thanks Carol.

ksb427
09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
My older son will be in high school next year and I'm already a bit stressed about it. I thought about "practicing" keeping a transcript this year just to be prepared more for next year. Yes, I can see how it would be quite overwhelming.

dbmamaz
09-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I honestly find the transcript pretty simple. Just . . .write down what we do. although I dont grade, at all, and i'm getting a bit stressed about that after reading the 'other' site. Its just blocking out the work in to individual lessons, figuring out how much to do each week/day, keeping up on reviewing and correcting work . . .

Pefa
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I find high school overwhelming. It's so much more than just the three R's. And it seems so.....well...important. Not that their education was unimportant when they were younger. But college and/or employers are looming, and we want to make sure our kids haven't missed something they needed.

Totally. plus ten

Stella M
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
I actually find the high school years less work, because so much more is outsourced, and my high school student is so much more independent. I'm not dealing with special needs though...

dbmamaz
09-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I am not outsourcing anything except the lego team . ..

Sionnon
09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Wrong thread! (grumble).