PDA

View Full Version : New member looking for contacts in Montgomery County, DC, NoVa for 13-year-old

Katja
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello,

After sending my now 13-year-old daughter to private school for seven years, she is currently enrolled, for one year only, in an international on-line school. We're very happy with the curriculum, lessons, educational quality, etc., but I am afraid that she misses the daily interaction with other children.

Are there any secular mums in the greater Washington, DC metro area with children in grade 8 or year 9 (UK system) interested in getting together?

I have been approached by several homeschool groups (my neighbour has been participating in a Christian programme for several years), but I am not comfortable with their belief structure that permeates everything from what types of activities children can take part in, what attire they wear (e.g., no two-piece swimming costumes?!?) to what books they are allowed to read. I also found that I have nothing in common with the mothers, and have no desire to participate in Bible study groups and prayer circles -- just not my cup of tea.

So, if you are out there, fellow free-thinkers and humanists, preferably with children between 13 and 15, I would love to hear from you. I have enabled messaging, and hope to get a few responses.

Cheers!

Mum
09-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi, Katja! I'm in MoCo but my kids are a little younger. Do you know about the Montgomery County Home Learning Network (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHLNnet/)?

I've met some really great homeschooling families there. We're lucky. In our area there are a lot more progressive, secular families homeschooling than in most of the country.

I'd encourage you to post a message there that stresses gently that you're looking for like-minded "secular" families.

Good luck!

Katja
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi, Katja! I'm in MoCo but my kids are a little younger. Do you know about the Montgomery County Home Learning Network (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHLNnet/)?

I've met some really great homeschooling families there. We're lucky. In our area there are a lot more progressive, secular families homeschooling than in most of the country.

I'd encourage you to post a message there that stresses gently that you're looking for like-minded "secular" families.

Good luck!

Hello Mum,

Thank you for the response. I did not know about the group, and that sounds like a good idea. Yes, I know that this area is generally known for being progressive, much more so than say the South or the Midwest, so I have high hopes that we will meet somebody without the pressure of Christian proselytising. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

May I enquire how old your children are? My daughter will be 14 later this year, and she does take classes and activities (e.g., ice skating, drawing), but these are only for a few weeks at a time, and I would love some long-term interactions. I don't know if she will return to her old school next year, as we may move to London, but I will definitely try that group.

Cheers,
Katja

Mum
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
We have three boys ages 3, 10, and 14. We homeschool the younger two. Our 14 year old is doing well in public school. He's my stepson.

The group I linked above plans a lot of get togethers throughout the year and while there are people of many faiths and no faiths, I've found that religion really doesn't come up much at all at the gatherings.

sb550h
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi Katja,

I would concur with mum's response. I have joined the Montgomery County Home Learning Network (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MHLNnet/) too. So far I have not attended any of their social activities so I have nothing to comment but you will get a daily email and activities are listed in it. My daughter is 11.5 years and we just started home schooling about 2 weeks back. So it has been a slow start and we are getting better adjusted.

Katja
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Thank you to both of you. Unfortunately, they seem to have some technical problems as I haven't been able to join the group for several days.

farrarwilliams
09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi! I'm in DC. My kids are younger though - turning 8 in about a week. There are other groups on Yahoo as well as the very useful MHLN, but I'm not sure where you are exactly... Do you know about TPHLN or Silver Spring Homeschoolers? There's also a decent PG County list. And there's an active Arlington group. And NoVa Unschoolers is a really nice list too - most of the people on there are unschoolers but there's good info about field trips, classes, resources, etc. in NoVa and DC. There's a TON of secular people around here. In fact, while I know many families who homeschool who are also religious, I don't know any homeschoolers who fit the mold of "Christian homeschoolers" and we have a very active social life here.