PDA

View Full Version : Cursive?

Sarbare0704
06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I know I am quite a way off from this but on another HS group I'm on there seems to be two camps of people ones who do and ones who don't teach cursive. I am very interested to see what you guys think. I am kind of in the camp of not wanting to teach it. It is something I never use EVER! Even my signature is mostly not cursive. If I did write in it no one would ever be able to read it! My regular writing isn't even that pretty! Pretty much as soon as we learned it we were told not to use it when I was in school because the teachers had a hard time reading it so even if one day my kids end up in public school I'm not sure it will be an issue. I maybe showing it to them and realizing it exists and maybe teaching them how to do their signature isn't a bad idea but just not drilling it into them and taking a ton of time to practice writing it. If that makes any sense at all LOL

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I didn't see the point of teaching it since we mostly type nowadays, but I realized that Noah didn't know how to READ cursive so I figured that I should. We do it very informally and I'm not strict with him. It has helped some (we just started in April).

jessicalb
06-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Alex hates it. I made him learn the basics but I don't make him use it anymore. I wanted him to be able t sign his name and puzzle out cursive if needed, and accomplished that, so I'm good. He types almost everything anyway. :)

StartingOver
06-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I will teach it for the purpose of reading, so they will learn to write some. Then they can choose to continue or not.

MamaB2C
06-18-2010, 11:12 AM
LOL we have already discussed this too, and it is years off. I don't think it's necessary to teach cursive writing, personally. I will probably teach him to read cursive, as his Grandmother uses it (she is the only adult I know whose handwriting is correct cursive)

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
My Alex hates it too, he is proud that he can write his name in cursive and that is it! I want them to be able to read a letter when grandma sends it, and just have an overall understanding of it but I am not worried too much about it looking that great! did that make sense? 2 SF redbulls and two cups of tea this morning. Hands can't type as fast it comes to them;)

Marmalade
06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I introduced cursive this year to my third grader partially on her request and partially because her manuscript writing is TERRIBLE!!! I thought maybe cursive would be more interesting to her and therefore she'd focus more on the letters as she writes.

I always write in cursive-It may not be the true cursive that you are taught-but it's cursive (The definition of cursive is "in flowing strokes with the letters joined together" so there's really not a right or wrong way (Yes, I'm justifying my own handwriting). Actually, I just looked down at the things I've written today and each word is either in cursive or my own italicized manuscript (with one or two letters linked in those words)

So? My thoughts on cursive? Um...it's pretty. and for a child who really wants to learn it I'd say go for it....but it truly is a dying art.

Shoe
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
My kids completed their elementary years in public school. I asked them this morning if they learned cursive handwriting there, and they both said "yes". That said, I've never seen them use it in any of their homework or any other writing at home. I never use it myself, because, in my case, it is illegible. I have to print very slowly and carefully to make things readable (and it's debatable if I succeed-when I'm writing prescriptions at work, I print them on the computer so as to prevent the pharmacists' from tearing out their hair, lol).

Sarbare0704
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one that doesn't use it or it cant be read if I do! I think that it is a good idea to know how to read it, but I cannot even think of a time that will come up in my kids lives. We don't get any letters from grandparents or anything like that.

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one that doesn't use it or it cant be read if I do! I think that it is a good idea to know how to read it, but I cannot even think of a time that will come up in my kids lives. We don't get any letters from grandparents or anything like that.
We only get them once in a blue moon, but it is a new thing I am going to try with the boys for their writing assignments over the summer;)

Busygoddess
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Dea learned to write in manuscript, italics, cursive, and calligraphy. Jay will do the same. He may be a bit older when he learns italics, cursive, and calligraphy. His handwriting is still pretty bad & I'll wait until it's better before I introduce new styles of writing.

firefly
06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
When we h/sed before I introduced it to them & they enjoyed learning the flow, writing their names, and deciphering other people's mystery scribbles. However, I had no intention of teaching it fully b/c imo it is a waste of time. You can teach keyboarding & introduce the wonderful world of fonts! Mine created their own!

Logically thinking, we write to communicate. It stands to reason that teaching the most legible form of writing is preferred. My kids were taught cursive in ps anyway. Now that I have them back, we can move on to mastering more productive skills.

Busygoddess
06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
When we h/sed before I introduced it to them & they enjoyed learning the flow, writing their names, and deciphering other people's mystery scribbles. However, I had no intention of teaching it fully b/c imo it is a waste of time. You can teach keyboarding & introduce the wonderful world of fonts! Mine created their own!

Logically thinking, we write to communicate. It stands to reason that teaching the most legible form of writing is preferred. My kids were taught cursive in ps anyway. Now that I have them back, we can move on to mastering more productive skills.

Actually, I don't see learning to write legibly as unproductive. Yes, they can learn how to use the computer, how to type fast, even how to create fonts. That doesn't mean they shouldn't also have a focus on handwriting. Just because most things are typed now, that doesn't mean we should neglect the art of legible handwriting.
As for teaching the most legible form, well that really depends on the person. I know some people who write much better in cursive than print, people who write better in print than in cursive, people whose writing is illegible no matter what, and my writing is best when it's a hybrid. So, you can't just say only teach manuscript because it's the most legible and teaching cursive would be a waste of time.

Melyssa
06-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I taught cursive but my daughter was begging to learn to "write pretty". We used Handwriting Without Tears for about three or four years. We went through all their workbooks and my daughter enjoyed them very much. Now though she mostly print writes rather than just cursive all the time but she is glad to know how.

Melissa541
06-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Madison asked to learn cursive & she HATES writing, so I figured if she was asking to write, heck yeah we were going to do it! I just bought a little cursive workbook & she does a page or two per day. Some letters she says she doesn't want to write in cursive & I am fine with that (lowercase B, for instance...I couldn't even remember how to do it myself!). We won't do major, intensive practice but she does enjoy the bit we do.

Riceball_Mommy
06-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I think when the time comes, we'll go over cursive hand writing. I personally can't stand cursive, I don't use it and I can mostly read my grandmother's shopping lists. I can't remember how to write some letters in my new last name, and since most people end their names in a scribble anyway so I haven't bothered to learn. I sign all my artwork with my more legible "print" handwriting anyway.

firefly
06-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Busygoddess, lol, I didn't make myself clear! To me it’s a given that all kids should be taught to print legibly first. Mine mastered the Zaner - Bloser alphabet first and then experimented writing (not typing) different font styles (a world with no end!). From there I faced the decision whether to formally teach cursive & decided to do so only for a short time. I still kept all the posters up for reference the whole time I h/sed & they always had the workbooks & could practice their n’s, m’s, & r’s anytime they wanted! But I moved on to Word & typing skills instead b/c life is short.

I’ve read many accounts that people can write (& take notes) more quickly in cursive. I’ve also read supposed studies that claim hybrid writing is fastest. Like you, I tend write in more of a hybrid (but loop-less) form. Regardless, I firmly believe h/sers should teach the subjects they believe in. So, if it works for you – Great!

I see cursive writing as a “yesterworld skill” & am often frustrated when people leave me “urgent” illegible messages in it! LOL – I’m sure I’m not the only one who has cussed at a hand written cursive letter with page after page of little connected ocean waves! My ex used cursive to conceal his dyslexia (which is understandable) and I have also been baffled peoples' manuscript. I guess all of it is just part of our human experience & I enjoy the discourse!

Busygoddess
06-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Busygoddess, lol, I didn't make myself clear! To me it’s a given that all kids should be taught to print legibly first. Mine mastered the Zaner - Bloser alphabet first and then experimented writing (not typing) different font styles (a world with no end!). From there I faced the decision whether to formally teach cursive & decided to do so only for a short time. I still kept all the posters up for reference the whole time I h/sed & they always had the workbooks & could practice their n’s, m’s, & r’s anytime they wanted! But I moved on to Word & typing skills instead b/c life is short.

I’ve read many accounts that people can write (& take notes) more quickly in cursive. I’ve also read supposed studies that claim hybrid writing is fastest. Like you, I tend write in more of a hybrid (but loop-less) form. Regardless, I firmly believe h/sers should teach the subjects they believe in. So, if it works for you – Great!

I see cursive writing as a “yesterworld skill” & am often frustrated when people leave me “urgent” illegible messages in it! LOL – I’m sure I’m not the only one who has cussed at a hand written cursive letter with page after page of little connected ocean waves! My ex used cursive to conceal his dyslexia (which is understandable) and I have also been baffled peoples' manuscript. I guess all of it is just part of our human experience & I enjoy the discourse!

Sorry, I just hear so many people talking about how pointless it is to spend any time on handwriting at all, because "everything is typed now, so why bother." It just bugs me that so many think that way & that's kind of how I took your post - that anything other than the basics of print was a waste of time (could just be because I've been in a bad mood for a few days). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

firefly
06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Busygoddess, It's OK! When we all try to communicate electronically - we miss the inflection in each other's voices, the eye contact, the nods of understanding, and the curve of a smile that lets us know the other person is sympathetic to our needs & means us no harm! I feel that SHS is a safe place & believe that parents have the sacred right to express themselves fully as individuals when they hs their children. I’m glad you said something so we could clear that up! ;)

The funny thing is that I am a former Journalism major. Um, I refused to take typing in high school b/c back then if you typed you became a secretary – so, I’m a writer that can’t type. Also, I can’t spell & have no idea what to do w/ commas. But the saddest things are that I’m unable to express myself clearly & succinctly…. And my attempts at humor often make me sound like a complete idiot!

Anyway, I hope to learn more from you as I will have a 5th & 6th grader to teach next year & see that you have one ahead of me!

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 02:02 AM
[FONT=Tahoma] I refused to take typing in high school b/c back then if you typed you became a secretary – so, I’m a writer that can’t type.
Well that's funny because I was an Executive Secretary who can't type. I never learned (and when I did try to learn, back a few years ago when I convinced myself that I could make it as a medical transcriptionist), it just wasn't jelling for me. I can type over 60 WPM with my lame duck typing method, so that was good enough to pass the typing test back then. My skills as an organizer were MUCH more valuable to me than typing skills. Heck, I still can't type :) The most used key on my keyboard is the backspace key. I must have hit it a good 20 times just to type the sentence before this one, lol.

Shoe
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Um, I refused to take typing in high school b/c back then if you typed you became a secretary – so, I’m a writer that can’t type. That's what I told my dad when he said I had to take typing-I was the only boy in a class full of secretary aspiring girls...but it turns out my dad was right because typing was probably the most useful course I took in high school.