PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Do you plan on homeschooling through high school?

Topsy
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
This week's poll requires you to grab your crystal ball and make some predictions! Some of you haven't even started homeschooling yet, so this question will be a little bit of a stretch. Others of you are already well into your "homeschooling high school" phase. And many of you are somewhere in between.

So give us the scoop on what you see in your homeschooling future....

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
We definitely plan on continuing through high school. I feel like the high school years are maybe even the most important to have my kiddo home. I think I can give him a much better education and prevent him from getting involved in some of the really negative social aspects of high school.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Ok if I dont kill them before them, I planned on getting into subjects that can keep their interest and push them! Already reseaching high school subjects for Alex. So far we have biology coloring books, a trying to find lessons on anything animals and thats it! Ok maybe there is more but I can't find those bookmarks! Please tell me what those of you that have done homeschooling in High school have done!

Shoe
06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, I just started homeschooling my kids, who are middle school. It has worked well for my son, and he wants to continue right through high school, so I have no plans to stop. I'm going to take it one year at a time with my daughter, who isn't anxious to be in public school next year, but isn't sure she wants to be homeschooled past next year either. I'm hoping it will meet her needs well and she'll like it enough that she'll want to continue right through high school as well.

inmom
06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I wanted to vote definitely, and we intend to, but I can't say how our lives will change and/or the kids' interests will lead. Currently, we as the parents and our kids all want to continue homeschooling. They will be 7th and 8th grades next year, but have already started a bit of high school work, mostly math.

We just keep our options open.

I, too, would love to hear how those who have/had high school homeschoolers have proceeded through those years!

Marmalade
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I wanted to vote definitely, and we intend to, but I can't say how our lives will change and/or the kids' interests will lead. Currently, we as the parents and our kids all want to continue homeschooling. They will be 7th and 8th grades next year, but have already started a bit of high school work, mostly math.

We just keep our options open.

I, too, would love to hear how those who have/had high school homeschoolers have proceeded through those years!

This is exactly how I was thinking. It's certainly my desire to do so but since I can't really say for sure I couldn't answer with definite.

Busygoddess
06-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I really don't have much of a choice. Dea is in 7th and doing high school work in several subjects. It would be pointless to put her in ps for high school. She'd have done half the workload already & our district would just make her redo it. They won't accept high school credits unless they are from an 'approved program' & would place her in classes deemed appropriate by age, with no concern for the fact that she'd already done those classes & would be bored out of her mind. I guess I could stop covering regular high school courses, & focus on electives for the next few years. That way, she wouldn't be redoing the general courses if she went to ps. However, until her Bipolar is better under control, I don't want her in the ps anyway. Jay is advanced in his coursework also, so I'd probably have the same problem with him (except the Bipolar issues).

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I also voted that we're taking it a year at a time, because you never know what can happen, but in reality we're taking it several years at a time... I am committed to hs'ing through elementary school and I'm already planning the middle school years. High school... not sure, time will tell. Noah asked me if he could be homeschooled for college and plans on living in a cardboard box in our front yard so I'm thinking I might have a hard time convincing him to go to high school, even if I wanted to send him, lol. It just seems so... daunting. Transcripts, etc. ugh. I would love for him to do dual enrollment but life has a way to not turn out the way you want it to, so who knows what will happen. This is why I love hearing from former homeschoolers or parents who have graduated homeschoolers because it's very encouraging. If they could do it, why couldn't I, right?

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I will homeschool through " my definition of graduation ". Let me explain, here in Texas the legal age of consent is 17. So my children graduate my school before they turn 17. They then can continue on studying with mom, go to community college paid by mom,get a job, or highschool if they want the experience of it. All three of my graduates went to community college for some classes at 17. Only one did a single year at highschool, because he wanted the experience. This is also the time when we do tons of job sampling, volunteering for career explorations, etc.

When they are 12 we design a highschool plan, by researching the requirements of the colleges they may want to attend in the future. Basically we outline 4 years of each subject, aiming for an IVY league school, just in case. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows LOL

dottieanna29
06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
IF we live where we do now (excellent public high school), IF they really want to go, IF they are very into some sport or club that is only possible to do at the school, IF they are able to test into classes at their proper level (which our local school does allow, oldest dd has 2 friends who were homeschooled until hs), we will allow them to go to public high school.
But, I'm also fine with them staying home. Our community college allows homeschoolers to take classes starting at 12, I have a biology degree, DH has a chemistry degree and is a whiz at higher level maths - so I think we could handle it okay.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Our community college allows homeschoolers to take classes starting at 12 This (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-child-blocked-from-going-to-colleg20100530,0,2696187.story) is happening near me right now. It's kind of of mindboggling, IMO.

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Just FYI - because I think it is important to know for some. I only went to 9th grade before I quit school and never went back. As I went through the process of homeschooling my older children, I learned along side them. I think any parent who has a true desire and willingness to learn, can homeschool regardless of their own education. I learned more when my children were elementary age than I ever did in public school. And of course there are tons of resource out there to help us.

SunshineKris
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, we haven't officially started but we have talked about how long to go. I think it will depend on where we are. If we were still an Air Force family and we were stationed in an area with awful schools, homeschooling it is! If we are in an area with great schools, then we would probably encourage the public high school mainly because often sports and other extracurriculars require attendance at the school My son, if he keeps going with his running and continues to be this good, may lose out on a college scholarship if he homeschooled in high school. Ugh, it's such a hard decision, especially at the stage we are at. I guess we just need to get through the first year.

hockeymom
06-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Good for you Jana! I'm finding the same thing, that I'm learning right along with my little guy and that I'm getting so much more out of it than in ps (like you said). Age and perspective will do that, but so will gleaning information outside the limitations of the text book or the bored teacher.

Shoe
06-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Just FYI - because I think it is important to know for some. I only went to 9th grade before I quit school and never went back. As I went through the process of homeschooling my older children, I learned along side them. I think any parent who has a true desire and willingness to learn, can homeschool regardless of their own education. I learned more when my children were elementary age than I ever did in public school. And of course there are tons of resource out there to help us.

I agree with you Jana. I've been to several community colleges and universities and have several degrees, diplomas and certificates...but...I've forgotten more than I remember about much of the material I learned in elementary and high school, so I'm learning a lot right alongside of my children as well. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm enjoying homeschooling so much. In some subjects, my knowledge base is helpful, but in others, I'm just one step ahead of the kids.

A lot of homeschooling seems to be how to teach the kids to learn on their own as much as imparting knowledge to them-and any parent can do that if the desire and commitment is there.

hockeymom
06-16-2010, 02:48 PM
We are definitely taking it one year at a time. I was finally able to convince my DH to try homeschooling because the schools where we live are so bad and our son was so bored. It took a year and a half of DS's complaining and hearing my stories about the school ( I worked there last year and volunteered the rest of the time) before he finally gave in. I don't know that he's totally convinced (or that DS is either) but to his credit he has been totally open minded and I think he's starting to see the benefits. Even on days (or weeks) that I don't feel we've done anything, he'll glance in my daily log and be totally amazed at all the stuff we've covered.

That said, at this point I think he would be inclined to look at ps when we move. Our son thinks school would be more social, I think, but I also believe he'd be surprised at how limited his learning would become if we sent him back. I am hopeful this is long term.

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
While I voted that we will stop prior to high school, it's not a sure thing. Currently, our plan is to homeschool for the next two years; after that, Max wants to attend the city's public college-prep 7th-12th high school. I don't have a problem with this, as it's a great school and consistently places in the top 100 high schools in the nation.

On the other hand, if he changes his mind and we decide that the best option for him is to stay home, that's fine as well. I feel that I can give him a challenging and interesting education if that turns out to be the case.

BPier12
06-16-2010, 03:09 PM
We're in "let's get through a year and see where we are" mode. DS is going into 8th grade and we've said from the beginning that we would be open to him going back to school after this year if we all feel that it is the best option. Assuming that all goes well for us homeschooling this year, though, I'm certainly open to him homeschooling for high school as well.

jessicalb
06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
In many places sports, clubs, and activities can be accessed through the public schools even by homeschoolers, or there are other teams out there. My son ran track privately because the schools didn't even offer it at his age level.

Jana, I also learn along with my son. Many times he learns the material better than I do! I consider myself more a facilitator than a teacher. I gather the materials, set up a routine for using them, and assist as needed. It's pretty rare that I actually "teach" a whole new concept. Usually we access the information together, discuss, research further, etc. :)

Dm379
06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I put I don't know. I want to but DH thinks a private school would be a better idea. In reality, he's cheap and he saw how much hs curriculum cost! We'll see, I have a feeling this is one argument I'll win.

StartingOver
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I put I don't know. I want to but DH thinks a private school would be a better idea. In reality, he's cheap and he saw how much hs curriculum cost! We'll see, I have a feeling this is one argument I'll win.

My dh has no clue how much I spend on curriculum. I order the majority of curriculum with our tax return every year, but not a week goes by that I don't pick up something or other. If he knew the actual amount he might trip out hehe. ( I am a collector, if I see things on sale I will purchase them now even if I don't plan to use them for years. )

I have always spent on average $1000 per child per year. Much less in the younger years, but then I start collecting for later. What I don't use goes into a special savings account for highschool community classes, or science labs. ;-)

Melyssa
06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd like to say YES but honestly as I see how hard it's getting at this point (5th/6th grade) I am not totally sure. We'll take each year as it comes and decide. My daughter has never been in school though so am not sure that would be good either.

belacqua
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM
It would take a major event for us not to homeschool through high school. The Boy is starting Grade 9 in the fall, and I've made plans for the next four years.

Maybe things would be different if our local high school were exceptional or had magnificent facilities, but it's just a perfectly good little rural, budget-pressed school. I'll admit my head was turned a bit by the marketing materials we got from the fancy boarding schools, but The Boy had no interest in applying (as if we could afford it, anyway!).

Marmalade
06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
While I voted that we will stop prior to high school, it's not a sure thing. Currently, our plan is to homeschool for the next two years; after that, Max wants to attend the city's public college-prep 7th-12th high school. I don't have a problem with this, as it's a great school and consistently places in the top 100 high schools in the nation.

I was reading an article about how the two college prep schools in my area have been placed in the to 10 across the nation for the past 5 years or so. I made a joke that it was because they kicked out the undesirables (my brother and a few friends are examples that I can think of)...so if your grades aren't up to their standards then you leave. Which makes total sense if you look at it from their perspective-but if you are judging a school based on what ranking they have you might want to take that into consideration.

But of course-if your child enters this school coming from a homeschool background we all know that he will already have an advantage by not being torn down by public schools in the first place...am I right?

dottieanna29
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
This (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-child-blocked-from-going-to-colleg20100530,0,2696187.story) is happening near me right now. It's kind of of mindboggling, IMO.

I agree, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with my 16 year old sitting in a regular college classroom, much less a 12 year old. But, our local CC offers what they call "Kids and Teen College" which is classes that are separate from the regular, adult courses. They are mostly over the summer but since we're schooling year round anyway, that could be an option for us.

In many places sports, clubs, and activities can be accessed through the public schools even by homeschoolers, or there are other teams out there. My son ran track privately because the schools didn't even offer it at his age level.

Unfortunately this is what I consider one of the tradeoffs of living in an easy to homeschool state - we don't have to report, test or portfolio anything but the pubic schools don't have to allow us to use any of their extra curriculars either.
Evidently it's up to the individual school districts on how they want to handle it. All our local community sports teams basically stop at 8th grade unless they are Travel (soccer and baseball/softball only) or Competition (cheerleading).

Wilma
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
We definitely plan on continuing through high school. I feel like the high school years are maybe even the most important to have my kiddo home. I think I can give him a much better education and prevent him from getting involved in some of the really negative social aspects of high school.

My thoughts exactly.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I also voted that we're taking it a year at a time, because you never know what can happen, but in reality we're taking it several years at a time... I am committed to hs'ing through elementary school and I'm already planning the middle school years. High school... not sure, time will tell. Noah asked me if he could be homeschooled for college and plans on living in a cardboard box in our front yard so I'm thinking I might have a hard time convincing him to go to high school, even if I wanted to send him, lol. It just seems so... daunting. Transcripts, etc. ugh. I would love for him to do dual enrollment but life has a way to not turn out the way you want it to, so who knows what will happen. This is why I love hearing from former homeschoolers or parents who have graduated homeschoolers because it's very encouraging. If they could do it, why couldn't I, right?

bahaha thats is so funny, Anthony says the same thing right now! Time will tell right;)

firefly
06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I want whatever is best & can't possibly know that until the time comes...

Firefly_Mom
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
YOU BET! We've been at this since he was in first grade, and he's now actually starting high school. Where in the hell did the time go?!? Anyway, when we started way back when, we had only planned on doing it until 3rd grade. The longer that we do it, the more committed we are to go all the way. In fact, my son once asked if I could homeschool him for college, too ;)

MomontheVerge
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
If I think ahead more than a year or two, I start having panic attacks. I don't think about it!

reversemigration
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I was reading an article about how the two college prep schools in my area have been placed in the to 10 across the nation for the past 5 years or so. I made a joke that it was because they kicked out the undesirables (my brother and a few friends are examples that I can think of)...so if your grades aren't up to their standards then you leave. Which makes total sense if you look at it from their perspective-but if you are judging a school based on what ranking they have you might want to take that into consideration.

But of course-if your child enters this school coming from a homeschool background we all know that he will already have an advantage by not being torn down by public schools in the first place...am I right?

While I'm sure that there may be some people who are forced to leave, it appears the way that they maintain their status is through an entrance exam. I suspect that it creates a self-selecting student population as much through the necessity of taking the test as it does with the actual results of the test, although I do know students who haven't passed it. The kids who go are the ones who most want to go. It's a bit like the college effect: the people who are there are those who want to be there, rather than are being forced to go. (And yeah, there are some obvious exceptions to that rule!) That creates one of the things that's most attractive about the school - an actual school culture built around learning. That, and as I think I mentioned in an earlier thread, a place where the marching band is held in much higher esteem than the football team. :)

You're right, though - there are always different ways for schools to prop up their scores. There was a recent article on anecodotal evidence of more teachers cheating on prepping their kids for tests, evidently due to the way that high-stakes testing is tied to salaries, tenure, and school accredition.

In general, I'm trying to keep an open mind about what the best option will be, and respecting Max's wishes as far as possible. To borrow from another thread, I'm a bit of a control freak as well, and I'm trying hard to give a little slack - hopefully not quite enough for anyone to be hanged. ;)

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
As of right now if I had to make the decision I'd say we'd homeschool through high school but of course we just finished Pre-K so that's a lot of time in between now and then. At least it feels like that now, I know when the time comes it will feel like it all just flew past.

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 11:45 PM
While I'm sure that there may be some people who are forced to leave, it appears the way that they maintain their status is through an entrance exam. I suspect that it creates a self-selecting student population as much through the necessity of taking the test as it does with the actual results of the test, although I do know students who haven't passed it. The kids who go are the ones who most want to go. It's a bit like the college effect: the people who are there are those who want to be there, rather than are being forced to go.
Something slightly related to this, I went to a high school that I applied to go to. I was in the magnet program, but the down side was there were plenty of kids that went there just because it was the school they were zoned for. So I went through an application and interview just to go into the bathroom and read "this school sucks." It was just a strange feeling to work so hard to get somewhere and suddenly it's "uncool" to want to be there.

Closeacademy
06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I voted we are taking it one year at a time but that is not true. Our plans are to homeschool until 8th grade and then give our children their choice of 2-3 options for high school: homeschool/dual enrollment in the local communtiy college, the local school with an international bachelorette program or there may be another option by then but I don't know what it is now.

warramra
06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know what we will do for high school. After we decided not to enroll the children in 3rd grade we planned to homeschool through 8th grade only. We live across the street from a really good High School and would have no problems with the children going there. Yet, just this last year DH and I are stepping away from the thought the children HAVE to go to high school. We'll probably leave it up to them at that point.

It does cause some issues with planning though. As the years go by our philosophy slides more and more to the unschooly end of homeschooling, yet if they want to go to high school I would like them to be prepared. Which is why I still require math, grammar and writing each week.

Amy

obimomkenobi
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure Padawan Learner will want to continue homeschooling but, with a move into a different state, he may change his mind about high school options as these high school years go on. We'll have to wait and see.

my3monkeys
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
It is our plan to go through high school. However, I also want to follow my kids lead on this. I have a friend who has hsed all along, but her daughter decided she wanted to go to ps for high school. I guess we just have to wait and see where time takes us.

camaro
06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I think I'd like to homeschool through high school so I voted yes. Part of the reason is that I think I would have an easier time teaching at that stage. I've been surprised at times how hard it is to explain something in a way that a Grade 2 student will understand! But we enjoy homeschooling because there's less stress for all of us and I love learning along with my boys so I figure why stop?

lilgrnfroggie
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
We are just starting out (my oldest will be Kindergarten age next year). I am determined to homeschool at least through elementary school, and probably through middle school. Even thinking about high school for my kids makes me nervous, but I am glad to know that we have several options. My husband is set on homeschooling all the way, but I have shown him some research I've done on the various other high schools in the area (science and technology middle/high school, arts high school, etc.). I'm mostly glad to know that there are always different options available for when we get to that point. :)

dbmamaz
06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Of course, i dont like the options! I have 2 very different kids. And i dont really like homeschooling that much.

My older child, who is 14 and bipolar, will be entering 9th grade this year, and last year was our first year homeschooling. Virginia has a credit system for high school, so its almost impossible to start high school part way. I discussed it with my husband, and he seems ok w me continuing to home school my son. School was just such a disaster for him!

My younger one is only 6, and he is a bit adhd/oppositional defiant, but i expect he will outgrow it to a great extent. He's also EXTREMELY in to math, as is his father. Since the idea of spending 11 more years doing this really doesnt appeal to me, I have a fantasy in my mind that this child will get accepted in to our math and science specailty center for high school.

Its interesting, one of my neighbors, who went to local private school, sends her kids to private school, and knows a lot of people who do the same, told me that many of the private school kids apply to that program, becuase it is VERY prestigious - the students from there tend to win major awards and get accepted in to the schools of their choice. But the private school kids generally have the advantage over the public school kids in the application process. It seems sort of unfair that the 'rich' kids are getting a free top-notch education and pushing out the poorer kids.

My daughter, btw, took the test for that center, and i knew she wouldnt get in as soon as she explained part of the test. They showed them a shape, and asked them to write an essay describing possible uses for it. She only came up with the most obvious use. Whether thats what public school did to her, or if its just her personality, who knows. I swear, I was better at chess before puberty - these female hormones didnt seem the best for my reasoning skills.

mommykicksbutt
06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Absolutely we are homeschooling high school! We homeschooled DD for a portion of her high school years with joint enrollment (ps and hs), some classes she took at ps, the rest she did at home. With DS he is 100% hs. He is 13 and already has earned 1.5 Carnegie Units toward high school. DS has zero interest in going to a brick and mortar school again and plans on graduating high school before his brick and mortar peers and to do so with college credits as well.

Oh, and as for homeschooling college, it's doable! DD went to the local community college then transfer to a University in an other state and earned her BA. She never traveled to the university, she never step foot into an upper division class! All of her course work (after CC) was done from home and submitted on-line. She graduated ahead of her class mates because the program was accelerated.

Technically, a student can graduate with a bachelors without ever stepping foot in a classroom. The student would self study to arm themselves with knowledge in preparation for examination at the college level. It is call CLEP, DANTES (or DSST), Excelsior College exams, TECEPs, (and any other university's credit by examination program). College credit is earned by examination, then transferred to one of the big 3 (Excelsior, Thomas Edison, or Charter Oaks), then apply to graduate and get the sheep skin. http://www.bain4weeks.com/ has more info on this.

DS plans on taking CLEPs after completion of course studies. He asked why he would have to do Algebra twice? Algebra for high school is no different in content from college algebra so why not get the college credit after studying it for high school. Likewise for biology, world history, American history, etc... (smart kid for thinking of this!)

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I guess I don't know for sure being I'm just starting out with a 4 year old but so far I don't have a reason not to. As long as this works for us is how long we do it. Although I do wonder since she is starting her school "career" at home if switching will be harder for her.

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh, and as for homeschooling college, it's doable! Thanks for the info, I'll have to save it to look at it when I'm a little less tired. Noah will be happy to hear this!

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
I would love to say that we will through High School but things could change later on.

GothicGyrl
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
It's a lifestyle now. I've already graduated one through homeschool high school and got another one starting 9th grade. So yes, it will be done all the way through. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise and am panicking (seriously! LOL) right now as to what I'm going to do with myself when this one is done. :)

KrysWalker
07-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I put "not sure" but only because my husband wants them to go to high school and I want it to be their choice - my children are so young it's no point in arguing about it yet (3yrs, 7mos, and due Dec. ;)). I hate the high school in this area so part of it would involve whether or not we can find a private school in our price range. But if they wanted to continue homeschooling or do a running start type program at the college instead, I'd like for it to be their choice.