PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Barrier - any experience??

QueenBee
06-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Has anyone used this program? We tried PowerSpeak this year and I'm not impressed - especially given the cost. I think we need something that involves me actually teaching the language as the self-guided aspect did not work for my DD (she knows some vocabulary, but we could have done that with flashcards). Plus after seeing how this program worked, I think we need something with more grammar - she just hasn't retained the grammar bit as much as I'd hoped. But before I buy something I'd like to know if anyone has any experience...

LINK: Breaking the Barrier (http://www.tobreak.com/)

belacqua
06-29-2012, 09:04 PM
It was pretty good. We used Advanced (3d year, I guess) Spanish with the accompanying audio tracks. It wasn't especially compelling, and I'd have liked a few more primary sources and longer reading passages, but it was good practice on some tricky points of grammar. Having chapter tests with solutions was really helpful.

There are rather too many dorky popular culture references in the examples, but nothing too cringe inducing. At least it is reasonably up-to-date. The wildly outdated pictures (and oddly excessive references to record players) in our previous Spanish texts were unintentionally hilarious.

It does lend itself to teacher-led learning; the lessons are discrete and easily prepared for.

So not bad at all.

QueenBee
06-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Thank you - I appreciate your response!
Can I ask how old your child was when you used it? It seems like it's correlated to HS Spanish, but I'm thinking of starting it in middle school (7/8th grade) - do you think it's doable?
Thanks!!

belacqua
06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Thank you - I appreciate your response!
Can I ask how old your child was when you used it? It seems like it's correlated to HS Spanish, but I'm thinking of starting it in middle school (7/8th grade) - do you think it's doable?
Thanks!!

We used Spanish 3 in Grade 9. I think your plan definitely sounds doable.

If you're looking for supplemental material, I recommend the Standard Deviants Spanish dvds. They're getting a bit old now (I say having just grumbled about outdated references...), but they're goofy and actually really memorable. You might be able to get them from the library.

QueenBee
07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank you!!