PDA

View Full Version : Easy Way to Connect Reading & Writing

mseward
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone! Summer vacation is underway (for most of us) and we have also started our summer reading program! As a former teacher, I will admit that one of my 'challenges' in teaching writing was getting kids to understand the following:

* A complete paragraph contains 5-7 sentences, despite what your other teachers told you (some were told 3-5 at high school level...NO!)
* A summary does not mean you are to give every detail of what you read!
* There are no right or wrong answers when reflecting on what you read

Since I have two girls (rising 3rd and 6th graders) who I will homeschool next year, I thought that we should continue with reading and writing throughout the summer. I know that my oldest daughter struggled with expanding her descriptive language when writing in school so keeping at it (without testing pressure) should show some results!

I am including a link (http://www.moniselseward.com/creatively-connecting-curriculum-hands-on-lesson-companion-activities/) to a neat, short, and easy activity I created that I believe will keep them interested in reading without adding a lot of pressure to the writing component (the file size exceeded the allowed size for the forum). It's called 'Points to Paragraph' and the sheet can either be glued onto the pages of a composition book or used on the computer. If you are working on handwriting, it would probably be best to use the hard copy. I included 5 bullet points where your child can jot down 5 points (not complete sentences) while reading. My girls will read for at least 30 minutes/day during the summer. Then they can use those 5 points to write a descriptive paragraph summarizing what they read.

If you decide to try it please let me know whether it worked for your child !

Thanks,

Monise

mommyshanti
06-28-2012, 06:01 PM
lol I thouhgt it was 3-5 also:)

AmyButler
06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
I downloaded it to try with my daughter, and I will pass it on to my neighbor down the street who has a daughter with some severe language arts and reading retention problems. This may work well for her as it is not intimidating.

bcnlvr
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I didn't know there was a number. I figured as many as you needed to say what you needed to say! :D

mseward
07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL...you ladies are funny. When you get to college, there is definitely a fixed minimum number...I would hate for anyone's child to get to college and turn in a 3-sentence paragraph. If we can arm them with good knowledge now, let's do it!

Thanks for checking it out! I have other ideas/lessons (various subjects) that I will be adding soon. We are starting next wee (homeschooling) so there will be lots to share!

Monise

bailbrae
07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought it was 3-5 too, lol. Guess it's a good thing that I'm shirking my responsibilities as a homeschool mom, and I'm letting Time4Writing teach my kiddos writing skills... :D

mseward
07-25-2012, 01:49 PM
How do you lioke Time4Writing? We introduced Writing Strands this summer and they seem to like it! Will supplement their IEW class with that.

bailbrae
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
My son loved T4W. And I'm not exaggerating, lol. He prefers to do everything on the computer, so the fact that it was online was a big bonus right from the start. It also helped that the course was something he wanted to take. He is currently trying his hand at writing his own fantasy novel and we realized that he was going to need some help with things like grammar, mechanics, etc.

He had a certified teacher doing the instruction and he never experienced any problems with communicating with her if he had questions or wanted further direction in an assignment. I appreciated the easy record keeping and final report that told me what his overall grade/score was for the course, as well as how many credit hours he earned (we don't necessarily keep track of credit hours or anything, but it was nice to see).

Once he was done, he even asked to take the next course. We haven't started it yet, but he's looking forward to jumping in once we can find the time to work on it. :D