PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for wall maps?

BPier12
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I want to get good U.S.A. and world wall maps for reference pretty soon. Everything at our local bookstore seemed way out of date and I was wondering if anyone here has a particular publisher or style that has worked well for you at home. We have a great atlas, but I really want something for the wall. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

StartingOver
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
We have a local map store in town, Zadansky Maps, they have the most beautiful maps, flags, globes, etc. I haven't bought one yet, but will very soon.

Maybe you have a map store close ?? So you can look at them first hand.

hockeymom
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
We have a beautiful illustrated world map in my son's room and we reference it all the time. It is bordered with the flags of the world, which we also reference several times a week (he loves flags). I bought it several years ago at Chapters Bookstore in Toronto, so I don't know if it's available in the US. Here's the website listed on the map:

[email protected]

Hope that helps!

pandahoneybee
06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
We got our classroom maps thru BJ's wholesale, but Sam's and other like it have pretty good ones too;)

jessicalb
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM
We got these tremendously cool giant wall maps at Costco a while ago. One has the continents in a past configuration, and has animals from that time period all over it. Another has the current animals and continents. The last one we got has little pictures of myths and legends with captions all over.

They had others but we couldn't afford any more at the time, and now I don't have a membership. :/ They are fascinating. Everyone who comes in spends time checking them out. :)

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Beth, I bought what I thought was a fun map of the US for Noah (It's called Kids' Map of the United States, by Rand mcNally, keep in mind he's only 8) at Publix today. My Publix has a whole rack of road maps, right in the front of the store, by the scale and the Lotto display and I know they have a map of the US as well. I think it'll be cool to start some conversations about what makes a certain state or area so special and to help him memorize some facts about the states/regions in a fun and visual way. It was only $2.95 and for some reason the RandMcNally store doesn't have it...

SunshineKris
06-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I LOVE maps! (I was a geography major and also made maps for a living for a while.) I love having different projections of maps to compare. Each serves a purpose. Just be sure that while using a typical Mercator projection of a map to point out the shape and size of what you're looking at is not necessarily true. Classic example: Greenland looking much larger than Australia. As a kid I thought Greenland was definitely the larger of the two. So Google some other projections and compare the differences. My kids are fascinated by it!

Firefly_Mom
06-09-2010, 02:57 AM
We've had a number of maps over the years, and the ones that we currently have up are large laminated ones from Costco. One is a US map and the other is a world map. They're OK - nothing spectacular - but I love, love, love that they're laminated! We'll often mark on them with dry erase markers, and we can put stickers on (and more importantly take them off!) They've also lasted a lot longer than any of the paper maps we've ever owned.

We also collect regional maps from National Geographic that we hang up when we're learning about a particular place or time period. They have a really good WWII map that my son loves.