PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for teen social/enrichment/academic co-op

Karenwith4
03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi

Some friends and I are looking at starting a teen social/enrichment co-op which may possibly have some academic programming. I am looking for ideas of the sorts of activities that your homeschool group offers, that your teens participate in, or even just groovy ideas/programs/events you may have heard about. Links, blogs etc welcome.

We are at the brainstorming stage so all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PrairiePoppins
03-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm hoping that people mention all sorts of ideas here, since that's exactly what I'm hoping will happen for my teens.

Currently, all that we do formally is a Teen Book Club. We get 4-9 teens, split evenly between girls and boys, and ranging between 12-16 years. I try to keep male and female protagonists alternating, and do as many genres as possible. You can see our list of books here (http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2636155-sarah?shelf=teen-book-club). It's hard to get them talking at times. But I try to leave them alone in the living room at least once or twice during the afternoon and let them just be together.

We've done a family movie night and bowling, as well.

inmom
03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Locally, we've run a 3 times/month co-op with teens. Each month has a topic. Some topics have been

What Every Body Is Saying (Body Language)

Frank Lloyd Wright

Marketing

Web Design

Mysteries in History

Dogs

Photography

French cooking

Design Squad - engineering brainstorming and building

Consumer Testing

Quilting: History, Science, Society and Mathematics

Cooking Basics - proper knife handling, cracking an egg, following a recipe,browning meat, stiff peaks, frosting a cake, folding in, deboning a chicken, butterflying, spatchcocking, making an omelet, cutting vegetables, food safety

Kitchen Chemistry = nutrition, energy, metabolism, enzymes, leavening agents, fermentation, food processing & preservation

Mega-Cooking multiplying a recipe, buying bulk ingredients economically, assembly line production, freezing techniques

Sewing Basics - how to thread a needle, tie a knot, sew on a button, repair a rip, hem pants/skirt, make an apron,

Personal finances for teens: field trips or guest speakers from banks, investment company (there's one just a block or two from the library), talk about saving for college, retirement (egads, but start early!!), checking accounts, savings accounts, how mortgages and/or loans (especially student loans) are set up. Simple stock market investing, how to fill out an income tax form??

Do Your Own Mr. (or Mrs.) History Performance research a person in history and become that person, then
give a presentation in costume of your life

Music - movie scores, music and art, poetry in music

First Aid

Plan a trip--planning all the nitty gritty details of an adventure. Research plane/car/shipfare, lodgings, exchange rates, cultural to-do's/don' ts, must-see's, budget, language necessities, etc., the kids could work on their own or with a buddy or in teams. The travel could be adventure-oriented (extreme hiking/rafting) or "exotic" (wildlife safar in Zimbabwe) or theme-oriented (all about El Greco) or volunteer "mission" (oil clean-up in gulf), etc.

Manners/etiquette- How to make a proper introduction, answering the phone and taking messages, and cell phone usage, table setting, both formal and informal, and general table manners. Session concluded with a meal

Scrabble - Learn about Language Arts and Word Building using Scrabble and other fun word games

Poetry in Music Dissect modern song lyrics to uncover the poetry within, and discuss rhyming and the influence of history on modern music.

Wild Edibles Forage for wild-growing foods, and learn about food safety and which plants to always avoid.

These were taught by parents.

inmom
03-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Social activities:

swimming

dusk beach picnic

frisbee golf

hikes

bowling

volunteering

inmom
03-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Another academic idea:

Search your area for local academic competitions. Form a team and compete!

Karenwith4
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Carol thanks so much.
We had our first parents coffee night this week and have planned a brainstorming session with the teens in the next couple of weeks.
Your ideas are wonderful and I appreciate you posting them.
Karen

inmom
04-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Karen:

You are more than welcome. There is no point in having everyone reinvent the wheel!