PDA

View Full Version : TFL for 6th grade as a stand alone?

Blue Ipsy
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi! I am loosly planning 6th grade for my oldest who may or may not stay home. She wants tot ry Middle school so we told her that she could and we would re evalute at winter break. I am expecting her to make the decsion to stay home b/c her sister will be home BUT ya never know! So I am trying to get a plan together in case she does.

My youngest is using TFL for 1st grade and loves it. I am wondering if anyone uses TFL for 6th and if you feel it is good enough as a stand alone program or if you find yoruself supplementing. If you supplement what subjects do you supplement?

TIA

dbmamaz
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I thought Topsy, our founder, used T4L stand alone at that level. My younger son got tired of it after 2nd grade, though. Have you had her check out the samples at her level and see if she likes it? I would think most kids by that age would be better off reading books, writing on paper, and doing hands on activities, but idk

Blue Ipsy
03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I thought Topsy, our founder, used T4L stand alone at that level. My younger son got tired of it after 2nd grade, though. Have you had her check out the samples at her level and see if she likes it? I would think most kids by that age would be better off reading books, writing on paper, and doing hands on activities, but idk

I was going to have her try itover the summer and see if she likes it or if there was something else she would prefer..... I am kind of at a loss of what to do with her b/c I would like something that I do not have to put together, is completly secular and planned out and is not expensive.... I know not to much to ask right? :)

dbmamaz
03-05-2012, 12:04 AM
The thing is, she is starting to get to the age where she can have some say in her education. She could help chose the math, the science, what books she wants to read, she could choose essay topics or write fiction to her heart's content. if she's content w the dry materials at school, you could use an all-in-one, but you will both get more out of it if, well, if you both put more in to it.

For my older kid, we sit and do some of the math together because he has math anxiety, but mostly I just assign him things, read some of them ahead, give him feedback on his writing. Its not that complicated, even if you choose separate curriculum. or you could do an online class or two. Have you seen khan academy, which is a free online math program (she has to log in with a fb or google account, and if you log on with a different one, you can get reports on her progress). You can also buy individual classes from K12 or Oak Meadow, i think, rather than buying the whole package

Blue Ipsy
03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
The thing is, she is starting to get to the age where she can have some say in her education. She could help chose the math, the science, what books she wants to read, she could choose essay topics or write fiction to her heart's content. if she's content w the dry materials at school, you could use an all-in-one, but you will both get more out of it if, well, if you both put more in to it.

For my older kid, we sit and do some of the math together because he has math anxiety, but mostly I just assign him things, read some of them ahead, give him feedback on his writing. Its not that complicated, even if you choose separate curriculum. or you could do an online class or two. Have you seen khan academy, which is a free online math program (she has to log in with a fb or google account, and if you log on with a different one, you can get reports on her progress). You can also buy individual classes from K12 or Oak Meadow, i think, rather than buying the whole package

I agree. I definitly want her imput so that way she will want to do the work. She loves writing and art. She can't stand math so Math and Science I will have to hand hold her through. I bought Creative Writer which I know she will love. I was also looking at writing with skill or winning with writing.....I definitly want a solid writing program b/c she wants to be a teacher/writer/artist.

kailuamom67
03-15-2012, 04:47 PM
My 6th grader uses T4L for ELA and hates it for math. We have had much more success using Khanacademy for math. Science and Social Studies we have done projects on our own. All of this is driven by DS's learning styles, and that he has different needs with the different subjects.

I would say that T4L is a great place to start, and if a subject doesn't work for her, then choose a replacement based on what you found worked or didn't work with T4L.