PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: What is the ONE subject you wish you didn't have to teach?

Aandwsmom
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I think every homeschooling parent tackles this at one point or another!
Your arch nemesis so to speak!
Having that one subject you dread teaching to your child! It makes you tense, it makes your stomach clench, you sweat, you wish.... well, you wish that it was a subject that you could wipe from your homeschooling slate and your child would grow up magically knowing it!LOL

Ours is Math! I hate Math! I hated Math in school, I struggled in Elementary School, I struggled in High School and as an adult....I struggle with advanced stuff. According to whomever tests kids, I have a Math block. DUH!
There was no doubt I was going to homeschool my sons once we started having issues at public school, but then I thought....oh man, MATH! I have to teach them Math.
I wanted to run screaming into the night!

I am the SAHM, I am the main teacher, I am the daughter of a teacher, I am not a stupid woman and I can do this.....

How is it that simple numbers can reduce you to feeling like you are 10 and sitting in class and struggling to learn long division?

My oldest son struggles with Math, he unfortunately inherited it from me and since I didnít teach him from K-5th grade.....I at least know he was given a chance!LOL That I didnít foist my phobia on him! We have had some struggles! I would say 90% of our meltdown days are due to Math! And I am not ashamed to say, the meltdowns are from both of us! There have been some days we just toss it. We walk away to tackle another day. There are days we end up asking his Math adept younger brother for help. There are days we wait until Dad gets home and have HIM help. And there are days we google the heck out of the internet for answers so we can work backwards to see HOW the problem was solved. Somehow we have limped our way through 4 years of it, through fractions, algebra and geography!

And I know there are other parents that feel this way, not about Math per say but other subjects! There are homeschooling parents out there who do AWESOME at every subject and I bow to you! But, I have read too many forum posts and blogs to know that I am not the only one that wishes we could just eliminate a subject due to our fear of teaching it....and our child would come out knowing it anyways!

So...this is our poll for the week! Weigh in, give us your input! Tell us WHY you dread that subject! And if you mark Other....tell us what subject, enquiring minds wanna know!LOL

inmom
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I am a former physics and math teacher, so math is a breeze. However, my extent of ability to do or teach art only reaches to stick figures. As a result, the kids do crafts on their own, and we do a lot of trips to art museums. I can at least give them an appreciation for art if not any skills.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes, art is the thorn in my side, too. The kids have free rein with paper, crayons, markers, and drawing books and they use them every day. Every once in while we'll do something special like painting. I hate messes. I have very little artistic skill. I wish I could afford to send my kids to an art class so I wouldn't have to deal.

dottieanna29
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Definitely art. It's the one thing I find overwhelming to even think about.

theWeedyRoad
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Music.

The first problem is that it's the blind leading the blind. I don't remember learning much of anything beyond 3rd grade- so my knowledge stops after types of notes. Oh, I REMEMBER going on types of music, rhythm, etc, but I don't remember any of the content AT.ALL.

Second.. ugh. LOL. I don't like it. And unlike history - which I hated in ps, but have somehow learned to find interesting now - I just can't find that much interest for it. I find myself at a complete loss.

Aandwsmom
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
See Art and Music is where I excell!LOL
Arts and Crafts are the favorite part of my daycare.... I have a hoard of stuff for creating things.
And I love Music, play piano, banjo, french horn and dabble in other things.
But Math..... shudders to think of it. We have done it 6th, 7th, 8th and now 9th grade so far. We will never get into Calculus or anything, it isnt in him or me and like I said, we limp along but.....
I love reading everyone's arch nemesis!LOL
Keep posting!

hockeymom
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Math. It's only a matter of time before it can't be up to me anymore, since DS will have far surpassed my knowledge soon enough. For now I can muddle through, but by algebra I'm out. DH will have to take over, or we'll outsource. Given that my relationship with math left reduced me to tears from grade 3 to 12, I'm pleasantly surprised that I've managed thus far! lol

Aandwsmom
03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Math. It's only a matter of time before it can't be up to me anymore, since DS will have far surpassed my knowledge soon enough. For now I can muddle through, but by algebra I'm out. DH will have to take over, or we'll outsource. Given that my relationship with math left reduced me to tears from grade 3 to 12, I'm pleasantly surprised that I've managed thus far! lol

ITA!!!! HUGS! This is how I felt! Took pre-algebra in 9th grade and whizzed through it. Got to Algebra in 10th and DONE. Ended up taking a baby version of Algebra 10th, 11th and 12th grades...same class each year and still barely passed and do not understand it! We are doing it..... muddling through but if it gets much tougher... and Hubby can't help, then we will have to outsource.

hockeymom
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Yep, I was a straight A honors student all through school...except for math. I only graduated because my senior year Algebra 1 teacher took pity on me and passed me. I really didn't deserve it. I tried though; went in for tutoring before school, had an after school tutor, had my engineer dad try to help...ugh. Tears tears and more tears.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone! :) I would have appreciated a friend to cry with! lol

JinxieFox
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
ART!

LOL

I was shocked when I found so many people had already voted for it. I thought, "I'll be the odd-man out." Heh. Glad to see I'm not alone.

skrink
03-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I know it's home school heresy, but I HATE history. Dull, dry, boring history. I have yet to find a way to make it remotely interesting to either myself or the offspring.

opheliag
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Mine is foreign language. I took a year of Spanish in high school and cannot speak a word of it. I was a 4.0 student in college with the exception of French. I made a "C" all four semesters and still cannot speak a word of it. The only way I passed French at all is that I am fairly good at deciphering the written language. Speaking it; cannot do it. My poor kids; they will have to learn from a computer program and speak it with others.

Staysee34
03-01-2012, 07:24 PM
It's art for us! I can't teach it to save my life. Art appreciation isn't so bad except my kids hate it lol. It bores them to tears but I still touch on it when I can. For this year, I bought a lot of little kits for them to do on their own or we break out the paint brushes. Next year, I bought How to Teach Art to Children. Maybe I can teach it to myself at the same time.

dbmamaz
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
i chose art, but i'm not doing language at all, so perhaps i should have chosen that

Jeninok
03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
For me it will be music, I am not musical at all, I can't sing or play an instrument, or talk about theory or any of that....If he shows any interest I will have to outsource that. Otherwise we will just expose him to lots of quality music from lots of places and genres.

I was terrified of math, but we are using Math Mammoth and so far so good, anything beyond algebra will be a real issue for me too.

KristinK
03-01-2012, 09:57 PM
for me it's language - we "have" to learn french, being in Quebec, but I just suck at it. I took french classes all through school, even in university as an "extra", and I still can't speak it. I fear it. I hate having to teach it. And even more I hate that I am the one having to teach it, when my husband's first language was french, and his parents are both fluent in french (his Mom's from Paris). The kids spend at least 1 day/week with the inlaws, yet it's up to ME to teach them everything. Insert large annoyed eyeroll HERE ;) LOL. Needless to say, we're not doing great in the french dept.

Interestingly, in school I hated History and Geography, but I am looking fwd to going through it with the kids. I'm just struggling to find the best way to do it. Especially since the way I did it in school bored me to tears. I don't want to do that to them! but I don't wish to not teach it...I just wish to find the right way to teach it :)

LAR
03-01-2012, 10:13 PM
For me it's Spanish. I know we need to learn it (being in Florida) but I have no motivation to do so. It actually scares me a bit! I plan to reserve some $ to either pay for lessons/curriculum, but I'm sure I'll find a way to spend the money elsewhere!

mirage
03-02-2012, 07:45 AM
FRENCH WRITING! It is so complicated! Being in Quebec, Canada it is a MUST! All I know is that I am very lucky to have a French teacher as a friend that I can go see and get help. Unfortunately, she can't teach my kids because she is at school all day! LOL

Amber

Elphie
03-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Math. I was terrible in math in HS (I remember falling asleep during class) and I have a hard time retaining any of it. We are doing LoF because it is teaching me math along with DS!

bovinesituation
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I haven't had to teach it yet, but I think it's going to be grammar. I have never cared about diagramming sentences and such.

Currently, I'm going to say that anything resembling art is making me nuts. The kids are so impatient with the prep because I can't seem to give them both everything at the exact moment they want. And then the messes... and then what to do with all the things they make? *sigh*

Jeni
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I picked other. I don't have to teach Math and science, dh does that, but I detest those two subjects. We haven't started a foreign language yet, that will come next year, but if I am stuck with it, I don't know what I'll do. I hardly passed French to meet my graduation requirement and I can't even understand people with strong accents, let alone whole different languages. We plan to have the kids take Spanish at first. At least dh has a passing knowledge of it, having taken it in high school and college. It's not on there but music. Yuck. Dh took over because I am musically challenged. He thinks it's the curriculum, it really stinks and he dropped it after a couple weeks.

Juniper
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
My kids say that they need to make a correcting robot for me. I hate correcting and I know this is the most important part because then they learn from the mistakes. I think vocabulary is my least favorite to correct. I hated vocabulary cards and test in school.

lakshmi
03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
I love all of the subjects. And I can think of none that I wouldn't want to teach. Even if I didn't know a thing about it I would learn because so much of life is so cool .

To me, attitude is everything. If I act like i don't like it then why would I expect my children to like it. Hell I'd teach clockmaking if my child thought it was fascinating.

lakshmi
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
It's not on there but music. Yuck. Dh took over because I am musically challenged. He thinks it's the curriculum, it really stinks and he dropped it after a couple weeks.

What music did you get? So I can avoid it.

Jeni
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
What music did you get? So I can avoid it.

It was the K12 music curriculum. After much, much research I think it's something we can put together ourselves and actually get the information we want the kids to learn. It was really bad. My husband, in my opinion, verges on being musically gifted and if he hated it, that says a lot.

lakshmi
03-03-2012, 04:15 PM
oh no Jeni, you said gifted....

Thanks that will be the starting place. I will look at that one to see what it had, and know that it is considered bad. Then I will have something to compare it to.

mratts
03-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I was always adept at math, and at teaching it, but my DS struggles and it's not always pleasant. We have a homeschooling art class once a week for hands on stuff with a wonderful teacher that leaves me mess free. I still like to talk and read about artists, so we're working on art appreciation that way, but I'm not having to tackle a subject in which I'm completely incompetent. However, writing is my least favorite subject to teach right now. It's funny, because I taught LA at a PS and enjoyed it then, but the physical act of handwriting is extremely difficult for my son, and while he's improving, his literal view of the world makes creating stories difficult for him. We're working on it, and I'm starting out with some new creative ways to get him to write in two weeks that I'm excited about. We're also going to the new Dino exhibit at the zoo tomorrow, and he's going to write and present a report on his trip, so my fingers are crossed.

In case the math-haters in the group haven't stumbled upon it yet, KhanAcadamy.com seems like a great resources (free) in helping with those hurdles. There are other subjects on there right now, but it seems the bulk is math. There are video presentations on thousands of topics, including step by step from 1 plus 1 through high school math subjects, and then comprehension lessons for each one. You can set mastery goals, get badges, see your progress, etc. It's something that I just started yesterday but it looks like it will be a big help for my visual-learning son.

crunchynerd
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I put Other, because weird as this sounds, there's no subject I dread facilitating my kids' access to. I think the hardest part for me will be swallowing my over-enthusiasm to "teach" them everything, and learning to take a deep breath, exhale, calm down, and let them have their exploration of it, rather than me eagerly dragging them by the hand through my excitement. I hated math when all I heard from teachers was that I didn't need to know that (whenever I asked a question) and just to memorize, and "plug and chug". I hated that they were actually condoning mindless repetition of operations without any understanding of them, their origins or what the operations really represented, etc. But in high school geometry, I had a teacher who asked us to define things, us to derive things, and us to use deductive and inductive logic to construct proofs. It was heaven. I hardly had to study, because it all made so much sense to me, I could derive anything I needed, from my head. I aced the class and craved more. I still flunked calculus, primarily because I paid no attention after the first few weeks. Since then (it's been 20 years!) I have come to understand a few neat things about math I never got before, and had some joy discovering properties of odd and even numbers, alongside my little daughter. I am no longer afraid of math, no longer see it as a performance situation where you are under pressure to spit out a right answer or else look stupid. I now see it as something to discover, and know that I may never come close to the understanding of those math geniuses I knew back in the day, but it doesn't matter. I have nothing to prove, just things to discover that I didn't know yesterday.

So, my hardest subject, will be teaching myself, to relax, step back, and let my kids learn, their way, at their pace. To not steal their thunder or supply the punchline to their jokes. To remember to share their journey, instead of taking them along for the ride, on mine.

crunchynerd
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
There is one thing I definitely plan on outsourcing, and that is driving! Having a private driving instructor made me a safer driver, and having mother/child issues, battling egos, mutual aggravation, etc to deal with is not something I want when it comes time to teach them to drive. I want them to have private lessons, and not by me. I doubt I would freak out, but I think the performance pressure of my being the teacher would be bad, and I think I haven't the faintest clue what tricks will be on the road test, then. So, I have no intention of being my kids' driving instructor. Or swimming. I stink at it.

crkirby
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Definately art/music.....I'm just not artsy, and I'm totally tone deaf, so I don't think I'm much help in those areas. The kids have their own art supplies, coloring books, blank papers, things like that and they have free reign over all that, and actually they LOVE drawing (and I love seeing their drawings). Luckily my husband is a musical genius so he at least gives them something tangeable for music.

CrazyCatLady
03-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Sport and Physical Stuff. I am hopeless!

Sherry
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Sport and Physical Stuff. I am hopeless!

Me too. This year I spent more on p.e. than on all other subjects combined. We did 5 months of swimming lessons at the Y. P.E. for the remainder of the year will be walks and outside play.

Shaunam
03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Writing, because DS acts like I'm torturing him when I bring out the notebook. I'm sure if he liked it better and got frustrated less often, it would be fine, but he's seriously about to drive me up a wall! I love writing, personally. Everything about it. Handwriting, spelling, composing, it's all fun to me and always has been. I really enjoy all the subjects myself. I HATED history when I was in school, but now I realize that's because all we did was memorize dates. I'm teaching DS in a way that we don't focus on dates so much, but why things happened, what order they happened in, more about cultures and customs...it's so much more interesting than how I learned and I'm retaining so much more than I did in school and I realize now that it's actually REALLY interesting! Last night we wrote notes to each other in hieroglyphics, then tore the paper into pieces and hid them throughout the house. Then we pretended to be archaeologists and went "digging" for them, pieced them back together, and decoded the messages. I mean, it doesn't get any better than that!

Airen
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Maybe it's because DS is young (7), but I never considered art, music, or PE subjects. PE I just send him outside or have DH and him do... whatever it is boys do in the shop on the weekends. I got a pretty garbage can made from scrap plywood for mom's day once LOL Art and music? He would love to learn something, but there aren't any resources here, and I odn't think he's ready to teach himself anything yet. Art? yeah... crayons.

But now ya'll are giving me a complex LOL

I dread Language Arts. We're not doing it yet, but I will HATE IT. I don't see the point. I speak very well. I write better (well, maybe not here. It's too close to free writing sometimes... I feel for ya'll sometimes when I re-read things I've posted). Most of that is just reading and reading and reading. Getting a feel for what's right and wrong. Who in their right mind speaks and talks with diagrams in their heads to verify it's all correct?

Yup. Dreading...

Mack's Mom
03-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I am in the minority on this one LOL. I love math and science, and so does my DD. We HATE English and anything having to do with it - reading, writing, vocab, ALL of it. I think "literary analysis" sucks the fun out of any book. I understand why it's necessary (SAT's blah, blah) but at this stage in the game - high school - we just can't make it fun anymore. Now, it's just about getting it over with so we can have fun and dissect stuff!!

Staysee34
03-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I've seen music pop up a few times on this thread. If you have a child who is wanting to learn guitar or keyboard, you may want to check out Little Kids Rock! The guitar lessons can be found on YouTube completely free:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBFFLpW7M8&list=PL0B14B7065DA46EFA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

The keyboard lessons would need to be purchased for roughly $25.00 because you need Jam Cards but it's still much cheaper than lessons and it's self teaching. You can check out a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbc4Ju39NE&feature=relmfu You can order the series from here: http://littlekidsrock.org/shop.html

As far as theory: This is what we are using and it's very easy and self explanatory: http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Made-Easy-Little-Children/dp/9679854442/ref=pd_sim_b_1
There's an entire series from this company and the price is extremely reasonable.

theWeedyRoad
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I've seen music pop up a few times on this thread. If you have a child who is wanting to learn guitar or keyboard, you may want to check out Little Kids Rock! The guitar lessons can be found on YouTube completely free:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBFFLpW7M8&list=PL0B14B7065DA46EFA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

The keyboard lessons would need to be purchased for roughly $25.00 because you need Jam Cards but it's still much cheaper than lessons and it's self teaching. You can check out a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbc4Ju39NE&feature=relmfu You can order the series from here: http://littlekidsrock.org/shop.html

As far as theory: This is what we are using and it's very easy and self explanatory: http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Made-Easy-Little-Children/dp/9679854442/ref=pd_sim_b_1
There's an entire series from this company and the price is extremely reasonable.

Thank you!!

Pilgrim
03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Writing, because DS acts like I'm torturing him when I bring out the notebook. I'm sure if he liked it better and got frustrated less often, it would be fine, but he's seriously about to drive me up a wall! I love writing, personally. Everything about it. Handwriting, spelling, composing, it's all fun to me and always has been. I really enjoy all the subjects myself.

Same here. I love writing and reading, so it's difficult to teach it to two kids who whine everytime it comes up. I will say it's gotten better in the last few months, so hopefully that trend continues.

A close second is science. I love it, and the kids love it -- but it's time-consuming and messy.

Avalon
03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Only 3 of us voted for Science? I find that so hard to believe. I HATE SCIENCE. Detest it. Can't stand it. I've had friends wax on poetically about how science is all around us, we're surrounded by science, and blah, blah, blah. I still hate it.

The experiments NEVER work, and most of the explanations that go along with the experiments leave me thinking, "huh? that just proved what??" Even the beautiful Usborne science encyclopedias seem too complicated for me to understand. I read them, and I know what all the words mean, they just don't make sense. It's AWFUL. It makes me feel like a complete idiot.

Walking-Iris
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Foreign languages--I took French in hs--passed, but remember nothing, don't even really care. I know kids ought to be exposed to languages but I just don't know how or in what way a person who doesn't even understand it themselves is going to teach that. Also I'm surrounded by local hsers who go on and on about Latin---ugh, makes my skin crawl. Basically the cost of good foreign language materials drives me screaming the other way too. Another thing I sort of hate is the copywork/narraton/dictation stuff---we do it, but ugh...boring!

I had math anxiety before kids and oddly enough now that I've been teaching my ds I love math...

Art???Wow that's surprising to me how many voted---art is the main thing in this house.

science is all about finding the right materials imo....and relating it to an interest possibly.