PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Poll: Is the number of secular homeschoolers growing rapidly in your area?

Topsy
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I've been thrilled to see secular homeschooling making the news in recent weeks. Three different articles highlighting secular homeschoolers or secular homeschooling have been making their way around the web...particularly among freethinking h-schoolers.

Why Urban, Educated Parents Are Turning to DIY Education (http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/29/why-urban-educated-parents-are-turning-to-diy-education.html) (Newsweek)
Home-schooling demographics change, expand (http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2012-02-14/home-schools-secular/53095020/1) (USA Today)
Secular, liberal N.J. parents buck home-school trend (http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20120130/NJNEWS/301300036/Secular-liberal-hippie-NJ-parents-buck-homeschool-trend) (MyCentralJersey.com)

I've also noticed a sharp rise in registrations here on SecularHomeschool.com in the last couple of months. This is incredibly encouraging and makes me wonder if secular homeschooling is growing in general in regional and local areas, or if people are just becoming more accustomed to the "vocabulary" of secular homeschooling and it's simply making it's way into mainstream conversations and site searches.

I won't know the answer until I hear from you. Tell me about your local or regional area and what the secular homeschooling scene looks like where you are right now...

hockeymom
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
We are pretty new to our area so I don't know about trends, but there are a lot of secular homeschoolers in Maine. The midcoast region seems to attract them (ahem, us) and there seems to be a thriving scene around Portland (no surprise!). With the state of the public schools, and a governor who keeps threatening to close them left and right when he doesn't get his way, I suspect the numbers will continue to rise. According to a recent newspaper article on homeschooling in our area (and which I was interviewed for!) the numbers in Maine have increased substantially over the past few years. It seems to me that the trend will continue.

dottieanna29
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I haven't noticed an increase but I'm in NJ, where it seems there has always been a lot of secular homeschoolers.

farrarwilliams
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
It's hard to say exactly. I feel like homeschooling in general is growing. In my area, that's mostly secular homeschoolers regardless.

I do feel like more and more people are like, oh WE homeschool! Or we're planning to homeschool too! Like random people at the grocery store or the guy who helped me at REI. It gives me warm fuzzies. :)

baker
02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
I surely don't know any others, but our school system is so bad I believe there must be some.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
It is hard to know for me, as we meet hsers through a homeschool assistance program that is part of the school district. I only find out if someone is a religious hser if they mention abeka or focus on the family or something like that. But I know for sure of a family that started this year that is secular. So far none of the hsers I have met have brought up religion as their reason for hsing, though that doesn't mean it isn't. I have also gotten called by a friend to get more info about hsing and they are secular, though they ended up going with private school. I think that the more of us there are and the more we are "out" as secular the more others who are secular and unhappy with the ps system will at least see hsing as an option. There was a time that I would have thought of hsing as primarily a religious thing.

Juniper
02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
There is a rise every couple of years in the elementary level of home schoolers but that drops off as they enter middle and high school. It seems once the hard work starts then ps doesn't look sooo bad.

Shelli Pabis
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
I have found secular homeschoolers in my area, but it's really hard to find those who live close enough and have children of similar ages. I hope it does grow because I'd really like to have more companions!

amphibology29
02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
5 years and I've never encountered another secular homeschooler.

SolsticeDreamer
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I haven't noticed an increase. I base that answer on the fact that I still can't find a secular homeschooling group. They very well could be out there looking for an outlet like I am, but I'm not hearing or seeing any signs of them. It really does seem odd, though, since our area has grown and I have definitely noticed more diversity in political signs. But from my little corner, it's mighty lonely.

Jeni
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
"What other secular Homeschoolers" pretty much sums it up.

magicandmayhem
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Here in rural Minnesota I don't encounter other secular HSers. I have a couple of friends who HS through online schools who are secular (religious but not conventional and not HSing for religious reasons) but that's about it. We had some close friends in a nearby city who were atheists and they fled to NY. :( In the nearest moderate sized city, a HS mom told me there's basically "the coop for Catholics and the coop for Christians" and the latter doesn't even accept the Catholic one as good enough. Sigh.

leav97
02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Here in rural Minnesota I don't encounter other secular HSers. I have a couple of friends who HS through online schools who are secular (religious but not conventional and not HSing for religious reasons) but that's about it. We had some close friends in a nearby city who were atheists and they fled to NY. :( In the nearest moderate sized city, a HS mom told me there's basically "the coop for Catholics and the coop for Christians" and the latter doesn't even accept the Catholic one as good enough. Sigh.

Are you anywhere near Rochester?

WindSong
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
I havn't met any secular homeschoolers since we began homeschooling two years ago. I havn't given up hope though. :)

ponygirl
02-17-2012, 03:35 AM
There was no homeschooling group in our area but found some others in the same area on an Australian forum we got together for a play at the park and that day is now a regular each month. The majority of familys that go to park day are secular homeschoolers.
Last two months there has been an increase in new families that come along to park day. Some are new to homeschooling others didn't know the group existed.

pnctink
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
There are quite a few religious hs'ers here in central Vermont, but there are quite a few secular hs'ers too. I haven't noticed a difference so far.

dottieanna29
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Ugh, I may have to change my answer to secular homeschoolers are decreasing in my area. One of my yahoo groups had information about a new, local co-op starting, with a pretty neutral name. Going to the website reveals a Statement of Faith that would exclude any non-Christian but also Catholics, Mormons and probably a few other denominations. Considering NJ's most prolific religious group (something like 37%) is Catholic and the number 2 reported religion is None, they definitely seem to want to limit their group.

Amanadoo
02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I feel like I've just been more in tune with the universe or something and have been running into more and more homeschoolers, though I can't speak to their secularishness. Whenever I see a school aged kid out during school hours I'm like "We're homeschoolers, are you too?!" And they almost always are. I get a little thrill each time :) No buns in sight yet haha.

4quivers
02-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm a secular LONER! For all you other ladies looking for secular groups you should really put your state on your profile so others can find you. I've become so desperate to prove that I'm not the only one, I just e-mailed half the list from the local 'christian' group to see if anyone was interested in a secular one. I didn't ask the super religious. I already know where they stand. But now that the word is out, and I live in a town of 900 and a county of not many more, everybody's gonna know that "those people aren't christians anymore!" or worse "they're in a cult!"

theWeedyRoad
02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
See, I just dont know. I only know of one group locally, and I haven't touched base with them yet. I ran into a (crazed non-homeschooling) homeschool supporter last summer, and she seemed to think homeschoolers were everywhere.. but whomever her friends are, I'm all set LOL.

Looking on the internet, going by what I see and the newsreports, and talking to other secular folks I know (who aren't homeschooling, but have it in their line of sight as an option) it seems like we are.

I think we all need to paint a symbol on our houses and cars that means 'I homeschool secularly!' so we can recognize each other :p

Topsy
02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
This week's poll results and responses are depressing me. Big, huge, secular ((((hugs))) to all the "loners" out there!! :sad:

Dee
02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
I have been home schooling for three years and have never met another secular home school family. I am trying to get the courage up to put an add on Craigs list just in case I missed someone. I even went to a group that was listed on this site as secular. It probably was set up to be open for everyone and tolerant of everyone but the only home schoolers I met there were religious. They seemed kind of curious that I would drive forty miles out of my way to their group when there is a group ( very religious OMG you should read the rules) in my town. I am so glad I found this site it keeps me going.

MissKitty
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I am so sad to see so many having a hard time finding Secular Homeschoolers! :( In my town, I have seen a big increase...We may only have a couple secular HS groups, but we do have them! I have noticed a steady stream of HSers coming into my group, and its just getting bigger...Maybe because Florida has such poor school systems....

dottieanna29
02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
I think we all need to paint a symbol on our houses and cars that means 'I homeschool secularly!' so we can recognize each other :p

How about the Flying Spaghetti Monster silhouette with SHS on it.

geez0pete
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I haven't been able to find any secular hsers in my area. I almost feel like I have to hide the fact that I'll be hsing secularly in order to be able to join some local groups.