PDA

View Full Version : Are you a secular loner?

4quivers
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you a loner and all alone?
Are you doing alright with a few like minds?
Are you hittin it up daily with secular minds?

Here in the middle of KS I feel like I'm the only one. Oh wait, I'm still trying to prove to myself that I'm NOT the only one.
So, just so I know who I can go to for socializing advise,

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure how to answer. We have lots of secular homeschoolers around (seriously, I've never met an overtly religious one here!), but we only hang out with them about once a week. We're major homebodies and my son is pretty quirky.

dottieanna29
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure how to answer. We have lots of secular homeschoolers around (seriously, I've never met an overtly religious one here!), but we only hang out with them about once a week. We're major homebodies and my son is pretty quirky.

Us too. Mostly secular around here but I'm quite an introvert so we don't do a ton of stuff.

Resaj
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
We keep mostly to ourselves for school. We have another secular friend who homeschools. We visit weekly for play and because she's so wonderfully awesome. Other than that, we have a bunch of (gasp) public school friends that we hang out with. I know, right? ;)

outskirtsofbs
02-14-2012, 10:13 PM
We are in So. Iowa, we are the only ones that I know of. And I've totally given up trying to prove that we are not the only ones. If I did encounter some S. homeschoolers, I'd probably fall over in a heap. Talk about desert wasteland.............

baker
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
We are in the deep South, so "secular" is foreign to any other homeschool families. I bite my tongue and remind myself my kids are having a good time with the other kids in co-op. Yesterday, the other co-op moms were discussing the scandalous issue of having to purchase one can of beer for the beer bread one made. Apparently, it is possible to purchase just one can (never been an issue with me)!

Juniper
02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
I am alone. I went to a Family Planning fundraiser this past weekend. I went outside to talk to my husband for a moment who was welcoming "guest" to the fund raiser through right-to-life demonstraiters. As a demonstraiter walked by, she said, " hi, Jen." She wasn't a homeschooler but knows most of the homeschoolers who were at a Horton Hears a Who "party" with their kids. Yeah, I was the only homeschooler at that event.

Kirsji
02-14-2012, 11:51 PM
We are also all alone here in the Phoenix area. Unfortunately, I do not drive and if one wants to get somewhere, one must drive. Can you say 'SPRAWL'?
The kids do hang out with their public school friends every day after school, though.

lakshmi
02-15-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm the only secular HS I know irl.

farrarwilliams
02-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Many of my friends are liberal Christians. They aren't homeschooling for religious reasons. Their faith is a personal issue, not something they're evangelizing or that they care about for anyone else. I also know a good number of homeschoolers who are not religious at all though.

Numericmama
02-15-2012, 01:49 AM
I said "Doing all right". While only one of my friends is actually "secular" it doesn't feel like I am all alone. I have a catholic friend and a protestant friend also. Neither one of them ever push anything on me at all. We hardly ever discuss it except that I know they go to church. I know where they stand, they know where I stand. It's all good.

opheliag
02-15-2012, 02:09 AM
We are also all alone here in the Phoenix area. Unfortunately, I do not drive and if one wants to get somewhere, one must drive. Can you say 'SPRAWL'?
The kids do hang out with their public school friends every day after school, though.

We are in Phoenix too! Hi, neighbor!

After five years, we finally found a great group of other like-minded homeschoolers. We hang out at the park with them once a week. We also belong to an UU church and hang out with people there.

Jackielyn
02-15-2012, 03:23 AM
I am part of a secular group...but I think they are all Christians...I know they talk about Christian science curricula and other Christian based curricula and I've seen some of them with Christian homeschool group bumper sticker or a church bumper sticker. They are all nice enough though, I just feel a little self conscious sometimes when I talk because I have potty mouth at times! I converse with one secular mama but she is moving away :( And the PS kids in my neighborhood have Christian parents...so I do feel like a loner at times...I highly doubt it'll get any better when we leave here move back to the conservative state of South Dakota...oh well...

MarkInMD
02-15-2012, 06:18 AM
The HSing friends of ours whose example convinced us we could do it are secular, but the rest that we know are part of a religious-based co-op that meets once or twice a month. Our closest friends in that group don't beat you over the head with Bibles, though, and they pretty much know that's not our main reason for being there and are all right with it. We're doing okay here in a religious area of a fairly secular state.

hockeymom
02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
We are part of a secular co-op, and in general this area tends to be quite open and unconcerned about someone's religion (or lack thereof). We are very fortunate, but we also chose our region and community very carefully.

Pefa
02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
I've always been able to find like minded folk (after all I do live in VT: first state to outlaw slavery and allow civil unions) but until I moved the effort involved was huge. Honestly, I don't care what you believe as long as I don't have to sign a SOF to play with you.

B12Bomba
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
For me, this was a difficult poll to answer. I'm not part of a co-op or HS group, so in that sense I am a loner, BUT we are doing just fine with the people in our homeschool life, both secular and non-secular.

Staysee34
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
In our immediate area, I have yet to meet another homeschooling family religious or otherwise. So yes, we are very alone. I've heard of other secular homeschoolers in our area but have not talked or met with any of them. There are religious groups in abundance here but they are over zealous and require an SOF so I can forget about them. There are some secular homeschoolers about 50 miles south of me and I hope to get together with them at some point but it doesn't seem to be anything that will happen in the near future. My girls and I are pretty much homebodies.

Woogie
02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
We know other secular homeschoolers, but we don't connect as much as we should. I am a serious homebody, and my kids are not big on group activities.

pokeypup5
02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm loner in the middle of Kansas too. Maybe we could get together? :D

Cafdog
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Nearly alone! We have one family in our small town that are fellow secular homeschoolers - but most are very, very fundie. It's lonely. I know we'd have many more opportunities for secular homeschool groups and activities if we lived closer into the the San Francisco bay area. It's a bummer. But as I drive my kid 3 times a week to Palo Alto for her sports, we both cannot face another long day in CA traffic, no matter how fabulous the opportunities. Boo.

4quivers
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow, I'm am really surprised by the locations of some of you loners! I was really thinking it was a bible belt effect. I am a homebody as well, but live in the country. Though Kansas is a state of farmers, most farmers live in town. No kids around for 5 miles. And that's a very, very, small, very, very, catholic town. But I'm holding my own there since I was born catholic.
The local group (though 45 miles away) is Christian and are very, very nice. The problem is that all of the meet-ups are really indoctrinated. "How do people celebrate christmas around the world?" "Sexual purity classes?" 'Christian Scouts for Christ" "Girls homemaking classes" Well, that last one would be great. But according to gender
I'm outnumbered 5-1 unless you count the chickens. lol

inmom
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
There are a fair number of secular homeschoolers here, and we used to be part of an inclusive co-op. However, the kiddos outgrew the co-op and now we get together with the 2-3 families that the kids are actually good friends with.

jess
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not quite *all* alone. There's another secular homeschooling family who lives about 30 miles away who we see every few months, and we're part of a secular homeschooling group in the nearest big city that we haven't actually attended in over a year (because "nearest big city" is still an hour and a half away). I know there are others who live closer, but I haven't had the motivation to be the driving force behind getting a group together, and my few attempts have met with little or no response. There is a group of people who use one of the virtual charters who have regular activities, and I've thought about crashing their park days.

Before we moved, we were part of a largeish secular/inclusive homeschooling group that had activities regularly.

bovinesituation
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around here. There are plenty of HSers but I can tell they are Christian when they either start talking openly about religion or more subtly, their choices in curriculum, which are religious in nature.

MrsLOLcat
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I guess I'm pretty lucky. There are several inclusive groups around here (there are tons that require a SOF as well) and I've met a few people who are truly secular homeschoolers. They are my lifeline. Some of the folks in the group that I hang out with are still Christian, and a few even choose Christian curricula, but I've never heard anyone say anything judgmental. I'm so happy to have finally found my niche! :)

zcat
02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Are you a loner and all alone?
Are you doing alright with a few like minds?
Are you hittin it up daily with secular minds?

Here in the middle of KS I feel like I'm the only one. Oh wait, I'm still trying to prove to myself that I'm NOT the only one.
So, just so I know who I can go to for socializing advise,

I don't know many homeschoolers nearby (small town/rural area) so we mainly are on our own.
I am also a secular homeschooler in KS if it makes you feel less alone.

Juniper
02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I've just found this web site and it is filing a big gaping whole in my life. I didn't realize how isolated I've been feeling. I have non-homeschooling friends with kids and they really don't understand why I can't go for Pilates and coffee every day or why my home is a mess if I'm here all day. Greatfully, my husband is very supportive but I don't want to constantly talk about homeschooling with him since right now he is hating his career. Thank you all for being here!